What's new

Home cinema with fabulous soundtracks (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
One of the most interesting lists to be published for quite a while, this Time Out list of 101 soundtracks is a great source of inspiration. Music is such a powerful and integral part of a film experience. Just a couple of months ago, I was playing an album of trumpet solos - and the theme from Nino Rota's Godfather came on. So my son and I decided to sit down and watch The Godfather together.

So many classic and diverse films listed here - a refreshing contrast to the normal "best ofs". And nary a Marvel film in sight. It makes me immediately want to screen Blade Runner again.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Some favorite titles on there, like TRON: Legacy and Akira and Jurassic Park and LOTR.

I would add:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Not a terrible list, but the omission of The Big Country is a major failing. Arguably one of the best Western scores ever put to film. I am quite comfortable mentioning Jerome Moross' work on this film in the same sentence with Ennio Moriconne.

Also, perhaps a bit too much reliance on John Williams who was credited with 8 films in a list of 100. One of the greatest composers ever, no doubt; but that just seems like too much for me.

- Walter.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Not a terrible list, but the omission of The Big Country is a major failing. Arguably one of the best Western scores ever put to film. I am quite comfortable mentioning Jerome Moross' work on this film in the same sentence with Ennio Moriconne.

Also, perhaps a bit too much reliance on John Williams who was credited with 8 films in a list of 100. One of the greatest composers ever, no doubt; but that just seems like too much for me.

- Walter.
Ah - but the whole point of lists, is to get people to react with..."I can't believe they left ....... out!". The Big Country soundtrack is a great western score.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I don't have a problem with them including movies like American Graffiti or Trainspotting, it's a list of soundtracks, not scores. But I feel Easy Rider should have been included.
Only one Max Steiner, and it's not Gone with the Wind or Casablanca
Three from Elmer Bernstein, but no Leonard, On the Waterfront is a top 10 score for me.
Zero from the Newman clan, (Alfred, Lionel, Thomas, Randy, David)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
One of the great things for me about home cinema is all those old fifties films that I originally saw on TV with dim mono sound (from that tiny little speaker in the TV, all those CinemaScope films with fantastic scores now sounding great in full stereo.

JSLasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Steven Lasher

- Walter.
Yes, too much mention of John Williams. How about giving such giants as Hugo Friedhofer, Bernard Herrmann & Alex North their due. I agree that the omission of Jerome Moross’ score for “The Big Country” goes to show just how out of touch your writers are. Not impressed! #JohnStevenLasher.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
One of the really great recent original soundtracks I've heard, is Trent Reznor And Atticus Ross' score for Challengers. It amplified the excitement and action tremendously. Their score for The Social Network is at 35, on the list. That film would have been a completely different experience, without it.

There's a really good 30 minute documentary with the pair discussing their oeuvre:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chpsen
Recent bookmarks