What's new
World Wide Stereo

how long can i get a optical cable? (toslink) (1 Viewer)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i have my pc connected to my pioneer vsx-45tx receiver through rca cables, using the cd input, and it sounds like shit, i was wondering if i could use a toslink cable, but they are across the room. i also used the usb input, and i wasnt satisfied with the sound with that either. plus i hear that if you use the usb input, it limits the amount of digital inputs you can use or something, i dont exactly remember. anyway, does anyone know of a toslink cable that is in excess of 12 feet or so? i'm not sure of the limitations of the toslink specification, maybe thats why i cant find a cable longer than the 10 foot one at bettercables. any help is appreciated, thanks

CJ

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

StevenJL

Grip
My DVD player and Mitsu STB are connected via Toslink to AV receiver. Both cables run 35 feet each, goes under the floor to basement and comes back up from right corner to left corner of the family room, because of the french door.

I am not sure of limitations of toslink specification but you can find them at some places for < or = $1 a foot.

I got mine from Full Compass from Middleton, WI.

Good luck!!:)

Steven

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Well the general guide for Toslink as per the AES in professional applications is to use plastic for under 5 meters and glass above that. There's likely to be several vendors. One, that I find particularly interesting is http://www.lifatec.com/Lifusa_patchcords.htm where you'll find that one can also get armor jacketed toslink...yes, you can step on it.
5 meters (16.5 ft) basic:$16.00 premium(nicer connectors)$21.00 armored:$37.00
Seeing as they also sell glass fibers, I'd guess that they'd whip one up for you that way, but I've no idea on the price.

Another source is CoolTronic that has some robust, nice looking 6 mm cables: 5 meters for ~$30, 10 meter for ~$35.

Of course there's always ebay too. But I think often people tend to overpay over there.

Myself, I'd tend to gravitate towards nicer looking, strain relieved connectors. Just makes me feel good...happy as Emeril would say :)

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
thanks a lot for the replies guys, most likely i will pick up one from the first link, i dont need anything special, but a nice jacket on the cable would look snazzy :) seems to be less expensive than i would think. and i am avoiding ebay like the plague on this one.

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks