What's new
World Wide Stereo

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Good reviewers can explain a movie and their opinion of it without spoiling anything important. Siskel and Ebert were masters, by and large.

Yes, but it depends on what the viewer deems "important" They both "spoiled" so much information in films for me over the years watching the series. Not that I minded, I loved the show more than anything.

Damn I miss it...to this day!

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
So...I’ll admit to being perplexed by the ending of this episode. It was done, and then a 30 min copy/paste of some celebrity TV interview came on to give a bunch of spoilers. I stopped listening since, well it was obviously over, and I didn’t want a 30 min interview, much less with spoilers.

I guess I’m kinda wondering what the artistic intent was on this one? Odd ending, given the topic and also compared to previous episodes.

This was not our show. Sounds like a Podcast app issue.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I hear Sam and Brian talking about Black Friday and hbo and reviewing movies they don’t like. I stopped when they brought up Last Blood with 25 minutes left.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You guys wrap for several minutes, discussing Song of the South. Declare "SPOILER ALERT!!!". An interview starts. And there's 29 minutes remaining. Here's a timecode reference:
https://overcast.fm/+PMTqI44B0/1:06:05

Dude skip 30’seconds ahead. That’s explained it’s a section about what we are watching. It’s outside the main subject and it’s a bonus discussion that is about new releases. It’s a treat for those who listen all the way through.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Dude skip 30’seconds ahead. That’s explained it’s a section about what we are watching. It’s outside the main subject and it’s a bonus discussion that is about new releases. It’s a treat for those who listen all the way through.
Right, yeah, Sam and I just added a bonus section at the end just for fun.

You guys wrap for several minutes, discussing Song of the South. Declare "SPOILER ALERT!!!". An interview starts. And there's 29 minutes remaining. Here's a timecode reference:
https://overcast.fm/+PMTqI44B0/1:06:05
Oh! Dude! This is the second half of the interview that started the show, and specifically addresses your concern about being spoiled at the beginning! It's an April Fool's joke that Jimmy Fallon did.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok...I was not in on the joke...

So...my experience with this episode was:
  • Opens with huge, unwarned, spoiler! :eek:
  • Ok, them's the rules, spoiler bombs are a go in episode about avoiding spoilers. :huh:
  • Rest of episode, I'm anxiously listening, hitting the 60-sec jump button every time a new show/movie is mentioned to try and avoid more unannounced spoilers
  • End of show and hosts are clearly wrapping up and in closing a spoiler warning is given for real loud and blaring. I take it seriously and quit the podcast as some apparently lengthy interview clip starts.

I enjoy you guys and the podcast and topics and all the movie clips and silly sounds. The production quality is superb. I'm hoping you continue and do well with the podcast.

But if the goal is to punk and prank the audience...don't? :)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Ok...I was not in on the joke...

So...my experience with this episode was:
  • Opens with huge, unwarned, spoiler! :eek:
  • Ok, them's the rules, spoiler bombs are a go in episode about avoiding spoilers. :huh:
  • Rest of episode, I'm anxiously listening, hitting the 60-sec jump button every time a new show/movie is mentioned to try and avoid more unannounced spoilers
  • End of show and hosts are clearly wrapping up and in closing a spoiler warning is given for real loud and blaring. I take it seriously and quit the podcast as some apparently lengthy interview clip starts.

I enjoy you guys and the podcast and topics and all the movie clips and silly sounds. The production quality is superb. I'm hoping you continue and do well with the podcast.

But if the goal is to punk and prank the audience...don't? :)
Thanks man. Didn't intend on punking anyone, but I guess I can see how that might be interpreted. We'll try to be more aware of spoiling things in the future.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s a fine line for sure but it’s the unavoidable spoilers in unanticipated places that get me. I was listening to a commentary on a disc I was reviewing and the commentator barely spoke about the movie on the disc, but did spoil the endings of probably half a dozen other films that were completely unrelated to the film at hand. The logic escapes me...

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
I was standing in line for more than an hour on the opening night of Alien 3 and some idiot said, "She jumps into a vat of molten lava at the end and dies." I wanted to push the bastard into a vat of molten lava but it would have been too quick a death ;-)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
1589624388338.jpeg

next episode incoming early this week. It’s our longest episode ever! Hope it’s not tooooo long for you guys! And this one requires audience participation too :)

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The Sixth Sense and The Sting. But the one I really wanted to strangle was the Village Voice writer who gave away the ending Of The Cameraman.

Bill Hader has a funny story about working in a movie theater as a ticket taker and a bunch of very annoying high school girls came in and gave him grief. He then rapidly told them the entire ending of the movie. Beyond the sinking. He was fired.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykayjohnson73
Recent bookmarks