What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Angel Eyes (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
 ANGEL EYES Man, do I hate writing reviews like this. Just finished watching Warner's newest DVD, Angel Eyes, which starts Jennifer Lopez. Warner touts this movie as being a mysterious and romantic film . I found it to be dull and lifeless. I won't give too much away. Basically, the film opens at an accident scene. Sharon Pogue (Lopez)is a cop who arrives to rescue the accident victim. Like an angel, she pleads with the dying man to grab her hand, look into her eyes, and hold on. The film jumps to one year later. We meet a very quiet, shy man named Catch (Jim Caviezel). He's a real sort of oddball, but he is a man that does good deeds for others. He has been trailing Sharon for quite some time. A sudden criminal attack brings the two together, and a relationship between both these individuals ensues. The problem is, this film goes nowhere. It's a love story of sorts, but it's hard to believe that this beautiful tough cop would find attraction in such an oddball with a mysterious past. Furthermore, the film gets weighted down with the personal family tragedies of both characters. In essence, the film moves along at an uneventful pace. It manages to keep your interest throughout, but once its over, you forget about it. I am no fan of Jennifer Lopez. This is the first time I have really looked at her up close. She is very beautiful, and she gives a rather complex performance as a tough cop trying to come to terms with her unstable family relationship and this new oddball man that comes into her life. I was looking more forward to watching this DVD because of Warner's previous transfers of DRIVEN and Exit Wounds. Both those transfers were absolutely amazing, and I had hoped to find the same with Angel Eyes. This transfer was not nearly as impressive, though it is as good as one would expect. The 5.1 surround mix is actually very good. There was some terrific surround activity used in key scenes. I didn't notice any major response in subwoofer activity, however. Siskel & Roeper gave this film 2 thumbs up! I fail to see how this film falls into the same mix of more important films that received the same reaction from those critics. I can't reccomend Angel Eyes as a purchase. I don't know if it is even worth a rental, except that it could make a good date flick. This is one worth waiting for cable. Release Date: October 10th ------------------  Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein") Circa 2000 Home Theater Forum Administrator All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected] Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER Email Packy [email protected]

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
This is really going to sound like I'm stirring shit, but I'm not.
The 5.1 surround mix is actually very good.
There was some terrific surround activity used
in key scenes. I didn't notice any major response
in subwoofer activity, however.

Where there scenes where there should have been subwoofer activity? I.e. subway going past. Was there subwoofer activity in the theatrical DD version? Or are you looking for subwoofer noises for the sake of subwoofer noises?
I just got finished watching TPM, you see, and where everybody says 'best DD track ever' all I hear is lots and lots of extra bass. So I get to wondering, why is subwoofer so important to people?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Shayne,
You are certainly not stirring shit.
If PHANTOM MENACE is what's expected from a
subwoofer. ANGEL EYES is on the opposite side
of the spectrum.
Actually, I was listening for even light rumble
in traffic scenes outdoors or even during two of
the most active (and noisy) sequences of the film.
I was merely making an observation that there was
very little bass activity. I think people would
like to know how much active of a mix any movie
I review has.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks