What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Hugo (2011) (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
337322_front.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Too bad 4K UHD doesn't support 3D. HUGO had some of the best artistic uses of 3D I've seen. Luckily, I still have the 3D Blu-Ray.

Rich, that is exactly how I felt as I was posting this press release.

I have no ambition to own this on 4k. The 3D release is fantastic, and in my opinion, once seen, you don't want to see it any other way. It's one of the best 3D titles out there.

It's amazing that for many of us when given the choice of a 3D 1080p title or one that is mastered in 4k, the 3D wins for the fact that it provides a more immersive viewing experience.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My iTunes HD digital that I bought for $4.99 in 2019, upgraded to 4K/Dolby Vision back in 2021. I haven't watched the digital in its entirety, but I might do so after watching my 3-D Blu-ray again. I did watch this movie in 3-D during its theatrical release in 2011.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
UNLOCK THE SECRET... Academy Award-winning filmmaker Martin Scorsese directs this audacious adaptation of Brian Selznick's award winning novel, a magical, mysterious adventure and an exhilarating ode to cinema itself. Hugo Cabret is an orphan, living secretly in the walls of a Paris train station, tending to the many clocks, stealing what he needs to survive and hiding from the ruthless station inspector. But his clandestine life and precious secrets are threatened when he is caught thieving by the bitter old man who runs a toy booth at the station, and Hugo's world becomes enmeshed with that of the shop owner and his bookish granddaughter. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father are all connected to a place where dreams are made. A heartfelt love letter to the magic of moving pictures, Hugo is a triumph of imaginative movie making and a gift for film-lovers everywhere. This epic Arrow Video edition marks the film's debut on stunning 4K UHD and comes packed with a bounty of new extras. Bonus features include: Five archival featurettes on the making of the film - Shoot the Moon: The Making of Hugo, The Cinemagician: Georges Meliés, The Mechanical Man at the Heart of Hugo, Big Effects, Small Scale and Sacha Baron Cohen: Role of a Lifetime, Papa Georges Made Movies, a new featurette in which film critic and historian Pamela Hutchinson explores the days of early cinema, Melies at the time of Hugo, a new a visual essay by filmmaker and writer Jon Spira, Secret Machines: Hugo and Film Preservation, a new visual essay by filmmaker and critic Scout Tafoya, Creating New Worlds, a new featurette in which French film historian and author Julien Dupuy examines the life and the legacy of Georges Melies and his impact on cinema and special effects, The Music of Dreams, a new interview with composer Howard Shore, Ian Christie on Hugo, a new interview with the acclaimed film historian and editor of Scorsese on Scorsese, Inventing Hugo Cabret, a new interview with Brian Selznick author and illustrator of the original novel on which the film is based, Capturing Dreams, a new interview with director of photography Robert Richardson, DISC THREE – BONUS DISC (BLU-RAY), Theatrical trailer, DTS-HD MA 7.1 and 2.0 audio options, Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing, Audio commentary by filmmaker and writer Jon Spira, publisher of The Lost Autobiography of Georges Méliès, High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation of the film in 2D and 3D , Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tommy Pocket, DISCS ONE & TWO – FEATURE & EXTRAS (BLU-RAY + 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY), 4K Ultra HD (2160p) presentation of the 2D version of the film in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible), Illustrated collector’s booklet with writing by film critic Farran Smith Nehme, 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS, Double-sided fold-out poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tommy Pocket, Includes High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation of the film in 2D and 3D, 4K Ultra HD (2160p) debut of the 2D version of the film.

All those new extras sound wonderful. I don't need 4K, but I might buy this just for the more extensive extras than were included on the original Paramount disc.

Last edited:

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed

I have no ambition to own this on 4k. The 3D release is fantastic, and in my opinion, once seen, you don't want to see it any other way. It's one of the best 3D titles out there.

It's amazing that for many of us when given the choice of a 3D 1080p title or one that is mastered in 4k, the 3D wins for the fact that it provides a more immersive viewing experience.
Good choice.

What is amazing is that the UHD format simply lacks the capability to show the film as Scorsese intended. It can't do what 3D-Bluray can.

Imagine a hypothetical scenario where the industry had returned to the 4:3 aspect ratio. Would cinephiles consider 4k and HDR enough of an upgrade to go back to pan and scan, or would they instead opt for OAR 1080p given such a choice? I apologise for the ridiculous scenario, but dropping 3D functionality remains a sore spot.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have a digital copy of Hugo I got free with some Apple promotion maybe a decade ago...and I still haven't watched it! (sigh) Guess I better get around to it.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Good choice.

What is amazing is that the UHD format simply lacks the capability to show the film as Scorsese intended. It can't do what 3D-Bluray can.

Imagine a hypothetical scenario where the industry had returned to the 4:3 aspect ratio. Would cinephiles consider 4k and HDR enough of an upgrade to go back to pan and scan, or would they instead opt for OAR 1080p given such a choice? I apologise for the ridiculous scenario, but dropping 3D functionality remains a sore spot.
But virtually every 4K Blu-ray player is 3D (blu-ray) compatible.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill

Unless this release somehow can improve the compression on the current 3D master, I'm not seeing a point. Shot on digital and finished at 2K. I doubt Arrow has the budget to go back and get all the CG re-rendered in 4K, since the capture on the Alexa was only at 2.8K. There might be some improvement to colour and fine detail, but it would only be a "slight" upgrade at best in 4K, at the expense of losing 3D.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unless this release somehow can improve the compression on the current 3D master, I'm not seeing a point. Shot on digital and finished at 2K. I doubt Arrow has the budget to go back and get all the CG re-rendered in 4K, since the capture on the Alexa was only at 2.8K. There might be some improvement to colour and fine detail, but it would only be a "slight" upgrade at best in 4K, at the expense of losing 3D.
Based on the 4K/Dolby Vision digital from a couple of years ago, I think Paramount already did the work.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I own the iTunes digital 4K. I've watched it multiple times, it's gorgeous.

The film itself just gets better and better with each viewing. A film that should be a must-see and must-own for every film lover.

Mark

F451

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I wish it were just a matter of plugging in a black box to make 3D active on contemporary 4K screens. I don't know how much longer my aging 2K LG OLED panel will last.

HUGO is film-making at its best -- an excellent film, handsomely crafted with a great story, rich character development, and believable cast -- and jaw-dropping fabulous 3D to boot.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon has dropped the price of the 4K version to $33.49 as of the time I'm writing this. The new Blu-ray version without the 4K disc is still stuck at $39.99. So, for the time being anyway, it's actually less expensive to get the 4K disc than not.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Amazon has dropped the price of the 4K version to $33.49 as of the time I'm writing this. The new Blu-ray version without the 4K disc is still stuck at $39.99. So, for the time being anyway, it's actually less expensive to get the 4K disc than not.
The Blu-ray's MSRP just hasn't been discounted yet. It will in time, so be patient as Amazon does this crap all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale