What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

"I Love Lucy" & "The Andy Griffith Show" Season 1 BD's coming 4/8/14! (1 Viewer)

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Pre-order pages at Amazon.com are already in place...MSRP is $129.99(!), but both are discounted to $74.99 for 32 episodes for each series...both are remastered in 1080p from original 35mm camera negatives...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I don't frequent the TV on DVD/Blu-ray sub-forum so I missed those threads...considering these are both seeing first-time blu-ray releases, I thought it deserved mention HERE as well!!!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ My hope is that they realize that their price is way too rich and they see what happens with a second season carrying an MSRP that is cut nearly in half.

I can understand charging a $130 MSRP for a show with a rabid fanbase like Star Trek or even Twin Peaks but I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show? Even though they're two of the most popular TV shows in the history of the medium, I wish them good luck even selling a thousand copies at that price.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
MatthewA said:
What if they never release subsequent seasons due to poor sales?
Quite frankly, at that price I don't care. If they think I'm going to spend between $600 and $1000 for the complete series of I LOVE LUCY on blu-ray they've got another thing coming.

SOMETIMES, DVD is good enough!

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
MatthewA said:
What if they never release subsequent seasons due to poor sales?
They're the ones who overpriced it, so boo hoo. And good luck trying to get B&M retailers to even carry it at that price.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
It's a shame, because I would love to get I Love Lucy on blu-ray, but I can't do it at those prices. One season (at full retail) is nearly what I spent on Amazon to get the COMPLETE Dick Van Dyke Show on blu-ray, all five seasons! Granted, I caught it on a really good sale, but still. Sigh. What a lost opportunity, as I doubt they will ever complete the series.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
It will be interesting to see how this all works out in the end.

The majority of the work has already been done (i.e. the HD re-mastering), so it isn't like with Star Trek where sales from each season may be needed to help fund the work required for the preparation of the next season. These don't have to have great sales for them to finish off the rest of the seasons.

So what is the point of the high price other than maybe to try and recoup the early re-mastering expenses already expended. But you would have to think the DVD sales provided that. And obviously these can't compare to the expense for what is going on with Star Trek. Another reason could be to try and establish a price point going further since they have a high potential of shows for re-release on blu-ray. Maybe they just figure the majority won't double-dip but the biggest fans will bite (like with Star Trek), so if sales are going to already be lower just get the most from those that must have it.

Image's prices were lower. but the kicker is Liongate with Little House on the Prairie on preorder at under $20 for the first season. CBS would have to take notice of that.

I have both on preorder just in case the price actually goes up, but I'm not sure I will go through with it, plenty of time to think about it before it is actually available. If CBS maintains this pricing strategy then at most I might end up with the first season of each. TAGS is the more important overall to me but it might be nice to have just the first season of ILL, if it truly does have more extras.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Yeah, Little House is $20, and they probably had to do a hell of a lot more work, I'm guessing.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I think one of the best things about HD and Blu are seeing things like this and Dick Van Dyke in a quality that was never even dreamed of upon original airing.So this is the only reason I'd ever consider buying Lucy, in remastered HD. I almost bought the DVDs a bunch of times, but glad I didn't now.However they're smoking something with that price. When it comes down to maybe $30-40 a season, that's reasonable.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I'm waiting for a steep Amazon discount before I bite the bullet. I am going back to school and don't have time or money for expensive purchases like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks