What's new
World Wide Stereo

Introducing Dolby Atmos FlexConnect (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
This does not equate to something like Audyssey. To have Audyssey available, you have to buy a surround receiver and a bunch of speakers, which means you are interested in going to the trouble of setting up something more than just a TV and maybe a soundbar. This seems to be marketed to a customer who doesn't even want to bother with a soundbar. I suspect that market is miniscule, other than the people who will be sold on it, but won't actually understand it, and will probably put the surround speaker(s) in bizarre locations.

I understand the concept behind it, I just don't think it's something many people actually want, IF they understand what it is.
I think the answer “Audyssey and Dolby Flex” is categorically fair to the question “What are licensed software systems claiming to make an audio setup sound better?”. And to your general skepticism, I say, “sure, and that’s honestly probably a fair question to ask about most all consumer implementations of audio algorithms the past 20 years”.

We’ve got loads of people with loads of opinions from the years on Audyssey and YPAO and Anthem ARC and Trinnov and so on who think they’re useful to varying degrees.

TBD to see what the real-world experience with this new system for normal-er people with modest-er setups will be. I’d bet Dolby Flex will provide much more benefit at much lower cost and effort to an irregular two-speaker setup than Audyssey ever did to a decent 5.1 setup. But TBD. :)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think we should also keep in mind how Dolby Labs makes money to understand their likely motive here. With the exception of Dolby Vision, there's little profit for them in TV's today as most only process 2-channel audio. This technology would have the potential of one day generating a brand new licensing fee for every TV sold, regardless of whether or not the consumer ever understood or used the technology.
This is precisely what I’m referring to when I mention Marketing BS.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW, I realize I often need to clarify my comments regarding this kind of topic. I don't have a problem with the basic concept, and I do believe it has potential value. It's the likely marketing that I have a problem with. I put this in the category with ARC and CEC. Nice ideas, that can be useful, but that consumers generally will not remotely understand, and will believe can perform miracles. I'm looking forward to explaining that putting your surround speaker in the hall closet will not be an effective way to improve the surround sound in your living room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks