What's new
World Wide Stereo

issues with browser access via iphone safari browser (1 Viewer)

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Apparently an upgrade has occurred and I have no idea how to access the forum sections of HTF from Safari. I can get to a bunch of reviews and that is about it. I assume a cockpit error on my part but I have exhausted all noticeable avenues.

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I'm having the same problem on my iPad Pro running either the iOS version of Safari or Chrome!

When I hit my bookmark for the "Home Theater Forum" via either browser, I'm being redirected to an "Amp" edition of the front page. That front page is obviously optimized for mobile devices, and provides convenient links to software/hardware reviews. Unfortunately, the "Navigation" menu at the top of the "Amp" home page currently has no option for the forum section of the site!

I finally found a link at the bottom of the "Amp" page for the familiar "Non-Amp" edition of the front page, which has all the options I'm familiar with --- including the forums.

Still, for a newcomer this would be very hard to find; and they might come away wondering why the word "Forum" is part of the name of this site ...

Last edited:

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I'm have the same problem on my iPad Pro running either the iOS version of Safari or Chrome!

When I hit my bookmark for the "Home Theater Forum" via either browser, I'm being redirected to an "Amp" edition of the front page. That front page is obviously optimized for mobile devices, and provides convenient links to software/hardware reviews. Unfortunately, the "Navigation" menu at the top of the "Amp" home page currently has no option for the forum section of the site!

I finally found a link at the bottom of the "Amp" page for the familiar "Non-Amp" edition of the front page, which has all the options I'm familiar with --- including the forums.

Still, for a newcomer this would be very hard to find; and they might come away wondering why the word "Forum" is part of the name of this site ...
Thanks Joseph that helped. Agree with your assessment - very non-intuitive.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Check the bottom of the page for a "View Non-AMP Version" link. If that's there, click (tap) it and see if that fixes things.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Check the bottom of the page for a "View Non-AMP Version" link. If that's there, click (tap) it and see if that fixes things.

It fixes things temporarily, but has to be re-clicked each time the Home Theater Forum page is opened in Safari. There doesn't seem to be a way to set a preference for it so that it stops coming up.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It fixes things temporarily, but has to be re-clicked each time the Home Theater Forum page is opened in Safari. There doesn't seem to be a way to set a preference for it so that it stops coming up.
But changing from the AMP version to normal version fixes the problems you're experiencing?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
But changing from the AMP version to normal version fixes the problems you're experiencing?

I believe so. But if you don't mind me asking, what is this AMP version? Why was it chosen? This interface does not allow for the forum content on the site to be viewed at all - for a site called "Home Theater Forum," it seems a pretty odd design choice to switch to a front page that doesn't allow access to the forums.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Here's what AMP is: https://www.ampproject.org/learn/overview/
Shorter: google optimized for fast loading and better google search and tracking.

I have no info as to why HTF implemented it per se or in this manner.

Gotcha - as a concept, it's not bad, it's just that whoever designed this particular AMP page is emphasizing the wrong things. The things that it loads on the main page are articles and not forum discussions, and then if you click on any of the tabs to try to navigate, it only gives the option to read more articles. There's literally not one place you can click to see "new posts". If HTF was more like a news site that was primarily article based with a small feedback section, it would make sense, but for a forum site it's a baffling design.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ok, I was wondering if other were having this issue too. Seems so.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
This is crap, are guys trying to make it more difficult to use this site. First you remove Tapatalk support and gave a lame reason about data sharing which they've been doing for many years. I think it was really about lost ad revenue myself. Now I have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the home page and click the non amp link before I can access the forums. Please fix asap!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
We have our developer looking into this. The amp version is only there to make using the site on a mobile device better, not to worsen the experience.

Good and thank you. It's a bit frustrating to use at the moment and I do most of my forum browsing on a mobile device.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Can you give it a look now? The AMP version should still load, but the navigation menu at the top now has a link to the forum.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Can you give it a look now? The AMP version should still load, but the navigation menu at the top now has a link to the forum.

Yes, I can now click on Navigate->Community to get to the forums. My favorite way to use the forum is via New Posts so I then click on New Posts. I can get there, but it is no where as near convenient as it was before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexj-12
Recent bookmarks