What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (8 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Brand New HD Restoration by Paramount Pictures – From 6K Scans of the 35mm Original Camera Negative!

The Lonely Man (1957)
Starring Jack Palance, Anthony Perkins, Neville Brand, Robert Middleton, Elaine Aiken, Elisha Cook Jr., Claude Akins, Lee Van Cleef & Denver Pyle – Shot by Lionel Lindon (The Manchurian Candidate) – Music by Van Cleave (Lucy Gallant) – Screenplay by Harry Essex (The Sons of Katie Elder) & Robert Smith (99 River Street) – Directed by Henry Levin (Convicted, That Man Bolt).

View attachment 221758
Wow! I've seen this only on television and that was a long time ago. VistaVision and a strong cast! I'm interested.

jbp110

Grip
Real Name
James
Elisha Cook Jr. AKA Samuel T Cogley esq in a that 60s TV scienti-fiction show View attachment 221762 now owned by Paramount ..
Ah, one of the great character actors! My first recollection of Elisha Cook, Jr was as Wilmer Cook in The Maltese Falcon. Thanks, Kino for bringing us The Lonely Man on blu-ray!

Attachments

• Elisha Cook as Wilmer Cook in Maltese Falcon.jpg
    Elisha Cook as Wilmer Cook in Maltese Falcon.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on 4KUHD & Blu-ray!

Brand New 2024 HDR Dolby Vision Master – From a New 16bit 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative!

Bad Boys (1983)
Starring Sean Penn, Esai Morales, Clancy Brown, Ally Sheedy, Eric Gurry, Alan Ruck, Reni Santoni and Jim Moody – Shot by Bruce Surtees (Dirty Harry) & Donald E. Thorin (Thief) – Music by Bill Conti (Rocky) – Written by Richard Di Lello (Colors) – Directed by Rick Rosenthal (Halloween II, American Dreamer).

1715526066822.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please, enough with the Elisha Cook posts. He was a prolific character actor in too many movies and TV shows to list in this Kino Announcement thread.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming July 9th!
https://kinolorber.com/product/come-back-little-sheba-special-edition
https://kinolorber.com/product/the-country-girl-70th-anniversary-edition
https://kinolorber.com/product/the-rose-tattoo-special-edition

Come Back, Little Sheba (1952)

• 2021 HD Masters by Paramount Pictures – From 4K Scans
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Scott Harrison
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

The Country Girl (1954) 70th Anniversary Edition
• 2023 HD Masters by Paramount Pictures – From 4K Scans
• Audio Commentary by Professor and Film Scholar Jason A. Ney
• Theatrical Trailer

The Rose Tattoo (1955)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Writer Julie Kirgo and Writer/Filmmaker Peter Hankoff

Come Back, Little Sheba (1952) B&W 96 Minutes 1.37:1 NR
Based on William Inge’s classic play, Come Back, Little Sheba is the stirring tale of a life-weary couple who rescue hope from the ruins of the past. Shirley Booth (TV’s Hazel) stars as Lola, slovenly housewife to Doc Delaney (Burt Lancaster, Elmer Gantry), a recovering alcoholic. The Delaneys’ life is dull and unchanging, but takes a dramatic turn when the couple take in a charming boarder, Marie (Terry Moore, Shack Out on 101, in an Oscar-nominated role). Marie becomes the daughter the Delaneys never had. But when Marie takes up with a boorish boyfriend (Richard Jaeckel, The Devil’s Brigade), Doc descends into a jealous tailspin and must once again face the temptations of the bottle. Lancaster, in an early and unconventional leading-man part, displays his towering talent; Booth, reprising her Tony Award-winning Broadway role, gives an Academy Award-winning performance (Best Actress, 1952) in her tour-de-force movie debut. Sharply directed by Daniel Mann (The Rose Tattoo) and photographed by James Wong Howe (Hud), Come Back, Little Sheba is an unforgettable film shimmering with life-truths and dramatic intensity.

The Country Girl (1954) B&W 104 Minutes 1.66:1 NR
Three legendary performers at the peak of their screen careers joined forces in this riveting film adaptation of Clifford Odets’ acclaimed play. Bing Crosby (Going My Way, Road to Utopia) is Frank Elgin, an alcoholic, guilt-ridden former music star desperate to make a comeback. William Holden (Stalag 17, Sunset Boulevard) is the hotshot Broadway director in need of a “name” star for his new stage production. And Grace Kelly (High Noon, Rear Window) is The Country Girl—Frank’s long-suffering wife, who’s both weary of her husband’s weaknesses and wary of the director’s motives. Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Actor (Crosby) and Best Picture of 1954, this sterling melodrama from writer-director George Seaton (Miracle on 34th Street, The Proud and Profane) earned Kelly an Oscar (Best Actress, 1954) for her strong and passionate performance as well as one for Seaton’s spellbinding screenplay.

The Rose Tattoo (1955) B&W 117 Minutes 1.78:1 NR
When Tennessee Williams (A Streetcar Named Desire, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof) wrote The Rose Tattoo, he had one actress in mind—Anna Magnani (The Fugitive Kind). Williams’ sense of casting proved as sharp as his ear for dialogue. Magnani won an Oscar (Best Actress, 1955) for her bravura portrayal in this torrid drama that also earned Academy Awards for Best Cinematography (James Wong Howe, Hud) and Art Direction. Magnani plays Sicilian seamstress Serafina Delle Rose, who retreats from the world when her beloved husband dies. But Serafina reawakens to life’s joys when she meets Alvaro (screen icon Burt Lancaster, The Rainmaker), a happy-go-lucky truck driver who has the same sunny openness her husband had, even the same occupation. And on his chest is the same symbol of love, The Rose Tattoo. Masterfully directed by Daniel Mann (Come Back, Little Sheba), this lusty, passion-filled classic garnered a total of 8 Academy Award nominations including Best Supporting Actress (Marisa Pavan, The Midnight Story), Costumes (Edith Head), Editing (Warren Low), Score (Alex North) and Motion Picture (Hal B. Wallis).

oscar.jpg

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Coming July 9th!
https://kinolorber.com/product/come-back-little-sheba-special-edition
https://kinolorber.com/product/the-country-girl-70th-anniversary-edition
https://kinolorber.com/product/the-rose-tattoo-special-edition

Come Back, Little Sheba (1952)

• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Scott Harrison
• Theatrical Trailer

The Country Girl (1954) 70th Anniversary Edition
• 2023 HD Masters by Paramount Pictures – From 4K Scans
• Audio Commentary by Professor and Film Scholar Jason A. Ney
• Theatrical Trailer

The Rose Tattoo (1955)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Writer Julie Kirgo and Writer/Filmmaker Peter Hankoff

Come Back, Little Sheba (1952) B&W 96 Minutes 1.37:1 NR
Based on William Inge’s classic play, Come Back, Little Sheba is the stirring tale of a life-weary couple who rescue hope from the ruins of the past. Shirley Booth (TV’s Hazel) stars as Lola, slovenly housewife to Doc Delaney (Burt Lancaster, Elmer Gantry), a recovering alcoholic. The Delaneys’ life is dull and unchanging, but takes a dramatic turn when the couple take in a charming boarder, Marie (Terry Moore, Shack Out on 101, in an Oscar-nominated role). Marie becomes the daughter the Delaneys never had. But when Marie takes up with a boorish boyfriend (Richard Jaeckel, The Devil’s Brigade), Doc descends into a jealous tailspin and must once again face the temptations of the bottle. Lancaster, in an early and unconventional leading-man part, displays his towering talent; Booth, reprising her Tony Award-winning Broadway role, gives an Academy Award-winning performance (Best Actress, 1952) in her tour-de-force movie debut. Sharply directed by Daniel Mann (The Rose Tattoo) and photographed by James Wong Howe (Hud), Come Back, Little Sheba is an unforgettable film shimmering with life-truths and dramatic intensity.

The Country Girl (1954) B&W 104 Minutes 1.66:1 NR
Three legendary performers at the peak of their screen careers joined forces in this riveting film adaptation of Clifford Odets’ acclaimed play. Bing Crosby (Going My Way, Road to Utopia) is Frank Elgin, an alcoholic, guilt-ridden former music star desperate to make a comeback. William Holden (Stalag 17, Sunset Boulevard) is the hotshot Broadway director in need of a “name” star for his new stage production. And Grace Kelly (High Noon, Rear Window) is The Country Girl—Frank’s long-suffering wife, who’s both weary of her husband’s weaknesses and wary of the director’s motives. Nominated for 7 Academy Awards including Best Actor (Crosby) and Best Picture of 1954, this sterling melodrama from writer-director George Seaton (Miracle on 34th Street, The Proud and Profane) earned Kelly an Oscar (Best Actress, 1954) for her strong and passionate performance as well as one for Seaton’s spellbinding screenplay.

The Rose Tattoo (1955) B&W 117 Minutes 1.78:1 NR
When Tennessee Williams (A Streetcar Named Desire, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof) wrote The Rose Tattoo, he had one actress in mind—Anna Magnani (The Fugitive Kind). Williams’ sense of casting proved as sharp as his ear for dialogue. Magnani won an Oscar (Best Actress, 1955) for her bravura portrayal in this torrid drama that also earned Academy Awards for Best Cinematography (James Wong Howe, Hud) and Art Direction. Magnani plays Sicilian seamstress Serafina Delle Rose, who retreats from the world when her beloved husband dies. But Serafina reawakens to life’s joys when she meets Alvaro (screen icon Burt Lancaster, The Rainmaker), a happy-go-lucky truck driver who has the same sunny openness her husband had, even the same occupation. And on his chest is the same symbol of love, The Rose Tattoo. Masterfully directed by Daniel Mann (Come Back, Little Sheba), this lusty, passion-filled classic garnered a total of 8 Academy Award nominations including Best Supporting Actress (Marisa Pavan, The Midnight Story), Costumes (Edith Head), Editing (Warren Low), Score (Alex North) and Motion Picture (Hal B. Wallis).

View attachment 221888
“Anniversary edition” is pretty lacking… disappointed in the lack of anything other than commentaries/trailers.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I have the Imprint Rose Tattoo which looks just fine to me and I'm content with it but the Julie Kirgo commentary on KL's release means I'll have to double dip!

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I have the Imprint Rose Tattoo which looks just fine to me and I'm content with it but the Julie Kirgo commentary on KL's release means I'll have to double dip!
Julie is great. I justify having to pay silly ebay prices for out of print Twilight Time discs just to read her notes in the packaging etc. I learn something new from all of her writings.

Into The Archives

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jayson
It wasn't; there exist uncropped full-1.37:1 16mm prints of Invasion.

I possess one of the uncropped 16mm syndication TV prints, which was struck in 1969. The question that has always intrigued me is whether any of the uncropped 16mm pre-print elements have even survived today (knowing the history with the 35mm OCN)---unlikely they would facilitate a satisfying transfer if they even exist...but still curious.

If I'm correct, all full-frame home video versions, even going back to the first Nostalgia Merchant Beta tape I had (more like my dad) when I kid in the early 80s, are center extracted from the SuperScope elements---

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I possess one of the uncropped 16mm syndication TV prints, which was struck in 1969. The question that has always intrigued me is whether any of the uncropped 16mm pre-print elements have even survived today (knowing the history with the 35mm OCN)---unlikely they would facilitate a satisfying transfer if they even exist...but still curious.

If I'm correct, all full-frame home video versions, even going back to the first Nostalgia Merchant Beta tape I had (more like my dad) when I kid in the early 80s, are center extracted from the SuperScope elements---
I’d bet that 35 1.37 survives.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

Siskel & Ebert did a great episode all the way back in 1988 on the aspect ratio problems of home video presentations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ontocloud9
Recent bookmarks