What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Land of the Giants (region 2) (1 Viewer)

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
There are some differences in the main and end title music for the second season on the PAL sets, which was odd since they seemed to use the same prints as the NTSC sets. The first few episodes have the second season video with first season audio. And the end titles have the first season music.

The old Columbia House DVDs didn't have this issue.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Sure would ! Is this a Fox program controlled by Disney?
Yup, all of the Irwin Allen productions from Fox are under Disney's control. I don't know how the rights extend beyond the US, but certainly Land of the Giants and Voyage won't get a legit Blu Ray release in the states unless Disney wants it.

At least Lost in Space and The Time Tunnel got an upgrade before the House of the Mouse took over.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Yup, all of the Irwin Allen productions from Fox are under Disney's control. I don't know how the rights extend beyond the US, but certainly Land of the Giants and Voyage won't get a legit Blu Ray release in the states unless Disney wants it.

At least Lost in Space and The Time Tunnel got an upgrade before the House of the Mouse took over.
I recently got the foreign Time Tunnel, but passed on the LIS hoping for a rerelease in better packaging.
Sony now has a deal to release Disney stuff, so keep your fingers crossed.
BTW, I still really like the fancy box set Land Of The Giants came in while hating the double sided discs.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Looking through some boxes yesterday I discovered a set of Viewmaster reels of Land of the Giants I'd had once!
So I looked at them and then thought about wanting to get this series.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I recently got the foreign Time Tunnel, but passed on the LIS hoping for a rerelease in better packaging.
Sony now has a deal to release Disney stuff, so keep your fingers crossed.
BTW, I still really like the fancy box set Land Of The Giants came in while hating the double sided discs.
Sony is the distribution arm but Disney still makes the decision on what to release. Mill Creek also has a deal in place to re-release Fox titles, but only as they were: DVD to DVD, Blu Ray to Bly Ray. No upgrades.

Disney seemed to buy Fox just to buy Fox. They have done nothing with the back catalogue. Considering the immense history of the studio, that's practically criminal.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Sony is the distribution arm but Disney still makes the decision on what to release. Mill Creek also has a deal in place to re-release Fox titles, but only as they were: DVD to DVD, Blu Ray to Bly Ray. No upgrades.

Disney seemed to buy Fox just to buy Fox. They have done nothing with the back catalogue. Considering the immense history of the studio, that's practically criminal.
Re.Disney , not surprising. They dragged their heels on their own catalog. Many excellent films and TV shows never remastered for Bluray.
And frustrating, many favorites of mine among the Fox , Four Star, etc titles.

Last edited:

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
There are some differences in the main and end title music for the second season on the PAL sets, which was odd since they seemed to use the same prints as the NTSC sets. The first few episodes have the second season video with first season audio. And the end titles have the first season music.

The old Columbia House DVDs didn't have this issue.
Isn't that what MeTV broadcasts as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks