What's new

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
BobO’ Link’s post dares to address my very own self-silenced thoughts. I agree wholeheartedly.

As I champion all acts towards film restoration, I also expect to see a flawless presentation in matters that are preventable and not inherent in the elements being handled.

ClassicFlix showed up with their Little Rascals project at roughly the same time, and comparisons to both of these collosal Hal Roach endeavors can not help but to be drawn up. Indeed, ClassicFlix has won hands down and wins the day.

I admire ever so greatly the larger overview and pursuits of this Laurel and Hardy project, but I am not confident that the balanced and technically diagnostic critiques, as read on-line, were embraced or even welcomed without defensive push-backs from one of the individuals who had worked on this project.

Alas, the dust has settled and the learning curves have hopefully been digested and are currently being applied towards a comeback for Volume 2. YES, a Volume 2 of Laurel and Hardy needs to occur - but if not, then let the good folks at ClassicFlix take the baton.

Indeed, when it comes to Hal Roach, ClassicFlix owns the track, the field and even the bleachers.
I think they said they cannot get the rights

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys-

I’ve never tried to collect any Laurel and Hardy shorts and features. I am fully aware of who they are and I’ve likely seen a few shorts as a kid on TV and I remember seeing Babes in Toyland or March of the Wooden Solders as a kid. I also have a vague memory of a short or feature that ends with Stan and Ollie as skeletons as a result of the mess they were in.

That said, this past weekend Catchy Comedy, formerly Decades TV, was airing Laurel and Hardy shorts and features. So this was my first chance to really see several of their shorts as an adult. It was a good opportunity to really see their work. I watched bits of several, but I didn’t want to spoil it if I could get these titles on blu ray or DVD. What I did see was great stuff. Some of the titles I saw were:

Pack up your troubles 1932
Hog Wild 1930
Swiss Miss
Them Thar Hills
Tit for Tat
Berth Marks
They Go Boom
Me and my Pal
Blotto
Our Relations 1936
The Chimp
A Chump at Oxford
Blockheads
The Laurel Hardy Murder Case
Another Fine Mess
The Fixer Uppers
Towed in a Hole
Scram
Their First Mistake

So what I am posting about is looking for recommendations for discs to pick-up. This disc looks like a good start. And I did see RAH’s thread about the marketing of this set as being a bit hyperbole. :) The Year One disc looks good, but I’d be interested in the titles I posted above and more. I would think there is a Hal Roach collection, but I’m just starting my research.

I’d appreciate your insights. I think I also saw releases of specific features, such as Flying Deuces and Babes in Toyland. Thanks!

BTW, from what I did see, they did so much physical comedy, it’s amazing if they were never hurt seriously. As I imagine in the 1920’s and 30’s, there were not the safely measures or stunt men used.

Reactions: PMF

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Hey guys-

I’ve never tried to collect any Laurel and Hardy shorts and features. I am fully aware of who they are and I’ve likely seen a few shorts as a kid on TV and I remember seeing Babes in Toyland or March of the Wooden Solders as a kid. I also have a vague memory of a short or feature that ends with Stan and Ollie as skeletons as a result of the mess they were in.

That said, this past weekend Catchy Comedy, formerly Decades TV, was airing Laurel and Hardy shorts and features. So this was my first chance to really see several of their shorts as an adult. It was a good opportunity to really see their work. I watched bits of several, but I didn’t want to spoil it if I could get these titles on blu ray or DVD. What I did see was great stuff. Some of the titles I saw were:

Pack up your troubles 1932
Hog Wild 1930
Swiss Miss
Them Thar Hills
Tit for Tat
Berth Marks
They Go Boom
Me and my Pal
Blotto
Our Relations 1936
The Chimp
A Chump at Oxford
Blockheads
The Laurel Hardy Murder Case
Another Fine Mess
The Fixer Uppers
Towed in a Hole
Scram
Their First Mistake

So what I am posting about is looking for recommendations for discs to pick-up. This disc looks like a good start. And I did see RAH’s thread about the marketing of this set as being a bit hyperbole. :) The Year One disc looks good, but I’d be interested in the titles I posted above and more. I would think there is a Hal Roach collection, but I’m just starting my research.

I’d appreciate your insights. I think I also saw releases of specific features, such as Flying Deuces and Babes in Toyland. Thanks!

BTW, from what I did see, they did so much physical comedy, it’s amazing if they were never hurt seriously. As I imagine in the 1920’s and 30’s, there were not the safely measures or stunt men used.
I'd go for this to start:

It's a DVD collection with just about every sound era short produced from 1929 to 1940 at a very reasonable price. And... there are issues with some of the shorts. If you've never seen them before you absolutely will not notice which is why it's a decent place to start. You have no expectations.

THEN - if you liked that set, go for this BR release:

It, too, has some issues but not as many as the DVD set. For me, the issues are primarily with how it was authored. This thread discusses the set at length.

There are more - mostly foreign releases - but don't worry about any of those until you know how much you like The Boys.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I'd go for this to start:

It's a DVD collection with just about every sound era short produced from 1929 to 1940 at a very reasonable price. And... there are issues with some of the shorts. If you've never seen them before you absolutely will not notice which is why it's a decent place to start. You have no expectations.

THEN - if you liked that set, go for this BR release:

It, too, has some issues but not as many as the DVD set. For me, the issues are primarily with how it was authored. This thread discusses the set at length.

There are more - mostly foreign releases - but don't worry about any of those until you know how much you like The Boys.

Howie,
beat me by a minute....

and do yourself a favor, seek out The Music Box, and watch, one of the funniest and finest moments committed to film!

• Agreed

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Bob and Dana, thank you for the speedy replies!

As I wasn’t fully knowledgeable as to the video releases that are out, this is very, very helpful information! I did a search for a review of the Essential New Collection so I can see what titles are in the set. Wow, 10 discs and it looks like most of what I was hoping would be there is there. So that’s a great recommendation. I guess I came in at a good time when the L&H titles are better handled for home video. I will start with this set as you said, it’s a good place to start.

I will probably pick up the Definitive Collection too.

Looks like the other two features I was thinking of will have to come from other sources, The Flying Deuces and Babes in Toyland.

Thanks again for the recommendations and your expert insight.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh yeah, I also saw the RAH thread about the new Release from Flicker Alley called Laurel and Hardy: Year One collection of their silent work. That got a good review. I wasn’t as interested in the silent films, maybe I need to immerse my self in the Essential Collection first before I seek out the silent films. Though it’s tempting to pick that up too.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Bob and Dana, thank you for the speedy replies!

As I wasn’t fully knowledgeable as to the video releases that are out, this is very, very helpful information! I did a search for a review of the Essential New Collection so I can see what titles are in the set. Wow, 10 discs and it looks like most of what I was hoping would be there is there. So that’s a great recommendation. I guess I came in at a good time when the L&H titles are better handled for home video. I will start with this set as you said, it’s a good place to start.

I will probably pick up the Definitive Collection too.

Looks like the other two features I was thinking of will have to come from other sources, The Flying Deuces and Babes in Toyland.

Thanks again for the recommendations and your expert insight.
For The Flying Deuces, go for the Kino (DVD - Amazon link) or Network (BR - Amazon link). The Network BR is region free.

For March of the Wooden Soldiers (aka Babes in Toyland), you want the Legend DVD or BR (those are Amazon links). It's the best out there but it currently doesn't have a "definitive" release. The Legend release has both colorized and BW versions (I'll purchase their colorized releases because they somewhat restore the original BW of a film before applying colorization and the BW is always included).

Ignore that info about March... see more below...

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, thanks again Howie! I thought I saw something recently about The Flying Deuces being out on blu ray. These two releases will be added to the cart. :)

I imagine after this past weekend, there may be an uptick of Laurel and Hardy interest.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Robert, I was perusing eBay too to find an unopened blu ray. So you’re saying that DVD you linked to has a better print than the blu ray? And is the Bishop’s Wife intact on that DVD? 😀

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thanks Robert, I was perusing eBay too to find an unopened blu ray. So you’re saying that DVD you linked to has a better print than the blu ray? And is the Bishop’s Wife intact on that DVD? 😀
yes yes

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
For The Flying Deuces, go for the Kino (DVD - Amazon link) or Network (BR - Amazon link). The Network BR is region free.

For March of the Wooden Soldiers (aka Babes in Toyland), you want the Legend DVD or BR (those are Amazon links). It's the best out there but it currently doesn't have a "definitive" release. The Legend release has both colorized and BW versions (I'll purchase their colorized releases because they somewhat restore the original BW of a film before applying colorization and the BW is always included).
March of the Wooden Soldiers this is one of the titles controlled by Amazon, I really wish that ClassicFlix could get their hands on, then we possibly could get a definitive version, that is unless it falls in line with Flicker Alley and their restorations and year releases?

If You are not opposed to silents, Year One: 1927 is a gem, for fans and new viewers alike,
But if you are the least bit interested in the genesis of the duo, that Year One : 1927 release is the way to go, the restorations, are done with respect, the bonus features and commentaries enhance the overall presentation, and you see the growth of two solo artist that slowly merge into one of the Greatest Comedy Duo's of all time. Just read the thread on that release, should give you all the info you may be interested in.

Going forward, information on the Year Two: 1928 release hasn't been provided as of yet.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Not to be a contrarian, but the Legend Films Blu-ray of Babes in Toyland/March of the Wooden Soldiers looks like garbage.

The MGM DVD (which is on Amazon for under $10 last time I checked) looks quite nice, doesn't have any alterations, nor is it noise reduced to death. I actually made a 720p upscale for my media server and while it's not exactly up to the Essential Collection standards...

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2023-01-16-19h16m33s034.png
    vlcsnap-2023-01-16-19h16m33s034.png
    547.2 KB · Views: 21
  • vlcsnap-2023-01-16-19h16m44s359.png
    vlcsnap-2023-01-16-19h16m44s359.png
    671.8 KB · Views: 40

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Not to be a contrarian, but the Legend Films Blu-ray of Babes in Toyland/March of the Wooden Soldiers looks like garbage.

The MGM DVD (which is on Amazon for under $10 last time I checked) looks quite nice, doesn't have any alterations, nor is it noise reduced to death. I actually made a 720p upscale for my media server and while it's not exactly up to theEssential Collection standards...
I totally forgot about that MGM 3-fer. I own a copy of that, too, and it's normally the copy I watch *when* I watch it. I'm really not that fond of any of the 3 films in that set so it doesn't come out every year (and why I forgot about it).

This is the version I own (different case - or could be a slipcase - not sure as it's packed away at the moment). The current least expensive used copy is from Decluttr. I've used them quite a lot in the past and they usually have decent copies (they call *everything* "very good" whether it is or not though). Next cheapest is from HPB-Movies, another MP vendor I've used with consistently good results.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow guys, I’m disappointed the blu ray of Babes in Toyland/March of the Wooden Soldiers is not very good. I can imagine that the film elements from this era are such, that there was only so much they could do. So it sounds like the DVD is the way to go. Now that I think about it, I have a DVD of March of the Wooden Soldiers that I never watched buried in my cabinet. But it’s from way back in the early DVD era. I can see if I can find it and see what its origin is. Likely MGM.

Dana, about the Year One release. I did read that RAH thread and I get it’s more about their early sound films as they were forming their act, before they were a team. It’s on my list to collect as well. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I found my DVD copy, totally forgot about this until today. It’s the 1999 DVD from GoodTimes Home video. I imagine it might not be as good as the MGM disc, but looks like it’s got good extras.
IMG_2232.jpeg IMG_2233.jpeg

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I found my DVD copy, totally forgot about this until today. It’s the 1999 DVD from GoodTimes Home video. I imagine it might not be as good as the MGM disc, but looks like it’s got good extras.
View attachment 200271 View attachment 200272
I can safely say that *every* title, no exceptions, that I've purchased under the "GoodTimes" label is pure dreck quality. Junk. Only worth purchasing to see if you like something well enough to look for a good copy somewhere.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ha, ha! Thanks Howie. It’s been over 20 years since I got that disc. I’ll for sure be getting that newer DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tok
Recent bookmarks