What's new

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Lawman is an intelligent and violent adult western that features outstanding performances by Burt Lancaster and Robert Ryan. It has been brought to Blu-ray by Twilight Time with a very nice transfer from MGM.

Lawman (1971)

Released: 04 Aug 1971
Rated: R
Runtime: 99 min

Director: Michael Winner
Genre: Western

Cast: Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan, Lee J. Cobb, Robert Duvall
Writer(s): Gerald Wilson

Plot: A lawman from Bannock arrives in Sabbath to arrest all the cattlemen whose wild celebration the year before resulted in the accidental death of an old man.

IMDB rating: 7.0
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: MGM
Distributed By: Twilight Time
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
There actually is some distortion to the score towards the end of the film, but it may be inherent to the source...I honestly do not remember whether or not the DVD also had the same issue. I think the film looks very good - it's a great motion picture -the teaming of Burt Lancaster, Lee Jay Cobb, Michael Winner and that wonderful score by Jerry Fielding really separate the film from other westerns. If I have one caveat - I believe that the German version of the film (and the bluray released there) do run longer than the cut we got here.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Yes, Ryan, this is the American version of the film that has been released on VHS and DVD before by MGM/UA, although I don't think the previous DVD was properly letterboxed. The European version, which I believe aired on one of the Showtime channels in the 1990s, contains a Sheree North nude scene (she is covered up in the American version). One of the older user reviews buried on either Amazon or IMDb seems to imply that the scenes of birds feeding on dead animals are more graphic in the European version, although those scenes seem pretty graphic to me in the American version.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have really tried to like this over the years. Decent script and good performances let down by Michael Winner's clunky direction. Every time I think about putting it on I run The Professionals instead. Now there is a film that needs a UHD release.
I like the way you're talking there.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exorcist4713
Recent bookmarks