What's new

Looking for a new Universal Remote Control Recommendations (1 Viewer)

sfyalek

Agent
Real Name
Yalek
I have a Universal MX450 Universal remote control but stop working. I am unable to reboot it because the company only allow the professional license installer to run the software.

I am trying to find a new Universal Remote Control with macro function so I can control my Panasonic projector, NAD AV Receiver, the motorized projector screen, Apple TV, Oppo Blu-Ray Player. Any suggestions will be truly appreciated.

splintyg

Auditioning
Real Name
splintyg
Any recommendations on current universal remote controls? Macros to switch between the blu ray player, cd player, turntable and Chromecast would be nice, as would back-lighting. I have an older Marantz receiver (SR7008), Sony blu ray which I use for Netflix and Amazon Prime, while my wife uses the Chromecast. We also have a Sonic Frontiers cd player and an LG plasma tv.

Reviews on Amazon seem to be all over the place, so I thought I'd reach out to my favorite forum for some advice! TIA

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
URC is good if you have the Complete Control software to program it yourself. Or an affordable, quality installer to do updates for you, I suppose.

Logitech Harmony is capable. But Logitech is exiting the space, so there‘s that risk for long term support.

and there’s a bunch of smartphone based niche products if you want to investigate those.

it’s not a great time for enthusiasts

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
URC is good if you have the Complete Control software to program it yourself. Or an affordable, quality installer to do updates for you, I suppose.
As a long-time URC user, let me just chime in and say that the Complete Control app is a, um, complete PITA to use. It's complicated, clunky, unintuitive, and the codebase is OLD, but it is very flexible. I recently switched over to a Logitech Harmony Elite, despite their announcement, and IMO it's much easier to use than anything in the URC ecosystem.

sfyalek

Agent
Real Name
Yalek

Logitech Harmony is capable. But Logitech is exiting the space, so there‘s that risk for long term support.

and there’s a bunch of smartphone based niche products if you want to investigate those.

it’s not a great time for enthusiasts
Thank you for the information. I looked into Logitech too. It concerns me when I realized that they are exiting the URC market.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It’s a weird time buy a high-end universal remote.

If your hardware is stable for the foreseeable future, you don’t need harmony updates, so Logitech abandoning support may not matter practically.

I think Harmony still sells their lower cost models. And $60 isn’t a lot to risk.

URC - I wouldn’t recommend anyone buy a URC remote on the gray market, and try to get the software, and hope to learn it from scratch. If you already have a URC remote setup you can build on, and have the software, it’s totally manageable. And minor edits to an existing remote setup are easy once you’ve learned a few basics.

Beyond that…? There’s stuff out there but I don’t follow the niche / speculative side of remotes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have inquired HERE...if anyone has any experience with a new line of URCs by a company called SofaBaton.

They seem to have come out of nowhere with a smartphone/bluetooth design (substantially different from Harmony) and no ability to create "activities" like Harmony was famous for.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have inquired HERE...if anyone has any experience with a new line of URCs by a company called SofaBaton.

They seem to have come out of nowhere with a smartphone/bluetooth design (substantially different from Harmony) and no ability to create "activities" like Harmony was famous for.
I posted my experience with this remote in that thread, Mike.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
If you have an iPhone or iPad, I recommend a universal TV remote app I have used for the past three months. It works very well and smooth.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you solely use an AppleTV (with TV and perhaps an AVR), the aTV remote is sufficient and competent. (That’s my fallback plan if/when my Harmony Elite dies, and it’s been getting quirky lately.)

For my main theater, I use a URC MX780 and I hope it lasts forever because the alternatives are not great and very expensive.

If you use an iPhone app, I assume you need an IR Blaster kit that connects via wifi or Bluetooth?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks