What's new

Looking for advice on a new TV: TCL 6 Series vs Vizio P Series or something else? (1 Viewer)

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
This article stated that it liked Vizio P series better
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-r617-2018
While the CNET has TCL higher.
https://www.cnet.com/topics/tvs/best-tvs/

Still not sold one way or another. Anybody have any other opinions or viewpoints?

I bought the Best Buy version of the 4K TCL 75" over two months ago. I'm still happy with its performance. And I've had no problems running an Xbox X, Apple TV 4K, and Panasonic UB-820 all through my Denon receiver. I look at this 75" 4K TCL as being a closer match to Vizio's P-Series Quantum than their P-Series TV--- Because of the extra local dimming zones and higher refresh rate, as you've stated in a earlier post.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I bought the Best Buy version of the 4K TCL 75" over two months ago. I'm still happy with its performance. And I've had no problems running an Xbox X, Apple TV 4K, and Panasonic UB-820 all through my Denon receiver. I look at this 75" 4K TCL as being a closer match to Vizio's P-Series Quantum than their P-Series TV--- Because of the extra local dimming zones and higher refresh rate, as you've stated in a earlier post.

Did you buy an extended warranty for the TCL from Best Buy ?

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Did you buy an extended warranty for the TCL from Best Buy ?

Yes. The three-year extended warranty. May not be necessary but my brother had a good experience with Best Buy after his Sony HD TV went bad several years ago while still under BB's warranty. And when the 75" 4K TCL dropped $200 (or was it $300?), the decision was easier to make.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Thanks. Would you be willing to measure the distance between the 2 sets of legs ? I'm wondering what size the top of a TV stand needs to be.

Thanks.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Thanks. Would you be willing to measure the distance between the 2 sets of legs ? I'm wondering what size the top of a TV stand needs to be.

Thanks.

I mounted the TV on a mobile stand that I can roll out of the way when I want to use the HD projector, so I never attached the feet. The Best Buy site says that:

"When attached correctly, the feet spacing to fit on a stand is 62.3 inches. Hope this helps! Thank you, TCL Customer Support."

I paid $1500 the first week in June. I see BB is listing it online for $1299. After looking at the BB site, I now remember that I purchased the 5-year extended warranty at $300--- which is probably over-kill. And you may already know that the BB 75" 4K TCL (Model 75R615) comes with a cheaper remote control than the Model 75R617 that other dealers sell. But I have no complaints about that since I don't need the voice-capability.

Again, I'm happy with mine. For me, it hits the 'sweet spot' between price and 4K HDR capability until I upgrade to a 4K projector. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I mounted the TV on a mobile stand that I can roll out of the way when I want to use the HD projector, so I never attached the feet. The Best Buy site says that:

"When attached correctly, the feet spacing to fit on a stand is 62.3 inches. Hope this helps! Thank you, TCL Customer Support."

I paid $1500 the first week in June. I see BB is listing it online for $1299. After looking at the BB site, I now remember that I purchased the 5-year extended warranty at $300--- which is probably over-kill. And you may already know that the BB 75" 4K TCL (Model 75R615) comes with a cheaper remote control than the Model 75R617 that other dealers sell. But I have no complaints about that since I don't need the voice-capability.

Again, I'm happy with mine. For me, it hits the 'sweet spot' between price and 4K HDR capability until I upgrade to a 4K projector. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Thanks

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson

Thanks.
I bought a Vesa mount stand like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/FITUEYES-Universal-Swivel-Adjustable-FTT107003GB/dp/B01CORQRX0

It was cheaper than buying a new AV unit.

I look at this 75" 4K TCL as being a closer match to Vizio's P-Series Quantum than their P-Series TV--- Because of the extra local dimming zones and higher refresh rate, as you've stated in a earlier post.
The TCL does have slightly more local dimming zones, but Rtings considered the P75 to have superior FALD performance. It's actually one of the major reasons I went with the P75 over the TCL. The P75 has a native 120hz panel while the TCL is 60hz. It is the opposite of what you stated.

I also wanted native 24p playback which the P75 offers. I could not figure out if the TCL had that feature, which sounded unlikely due to the native 60hz panel.

The TCL in question does not hold a candle to the Vizio Quantum sets in terms of color or peak brightness. It is clearly in the same ballpark as the P75.

Last edited:

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Thanks. Is the 60 hz. panel a big deal ? Is it mostly a problem for gamers ?

CNET posted an article called "The truth about 4K TV refresh rates", dated last month---

Bottom line (should you care?)
There are two things at play here. The first is simple, and one we've said many times before: don't trust marketing. At least, don't trust it at face value. Marketing is designed to sell you a product, not give you information about a product. That's secondary.

The second is being able to reduce motion blur. When 120Hz 1080p TVs first hit the market, they offered a noticeable improvement in motion resolution. The technology has only gotten better.

But if you're sensitive to motion blur, it is worth checking for a true 120Hz TV. It would be a shame to let all that extra 4K resolution go to waste due to blur. It's also worth checking reviews for measurements and subjective takes on how the TV handles motion -- that's more useful than any manufacturer-supplied spec.

-------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, (in the same article) CNET doesn't clarify the TCL 75" refresh issue---

"TCL's sets say either "60/120Hz CMI" (for the cheapest 1080p models) or "120Hz CMI," but all of them are actually 60Hz native refresh. The only exception is the 75-inch 6 series, TCL's most expensive TV, which is 120Hz native."

All I can say, owning the TCL 75R615, is that I haven't detected any motion blur (yet). I mostly watch 4K/24p and 1080/24p blurays.

Caleb Denison, Senior Editor at Digital Trends, just posted his review of the 75" TCL today.

And to get a bit meta, here's a youtube review (and twice as long) of the Denison review.

Last edited:

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
CNET made a huge stir by claiming the 75" TCL had a 120hz panel, but it appears they were wrong and there is no difference in the native refresh rate between screen sizes. If it was 120hz native, then it would be advertised as 240hz CMI. While rtings doesn't outright state the panel refresh rate of the TCL, it specifically compares it to the P75 and points out the P75's higher refresh rate.

That said, I actually purchased the TCL 75R615 because of the price difference. Right before delivery, Costco lowered the price of the P75-F1 to the same price, so I cancelled the TCL and got Best Buy to price match. Not soon thereafter, the TCL dropped to $1300. Had I waited 6 or 7 weeks, I would have bought the TCL.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
CNET posted an article called "The truth about 4K TV refresh rates", dated last month---

Bottom line (should you care?)
There are two things at play here. The first is simple, and one we've said many times before: don't trust marketing. At least, don't trust it at face value. Marketing is designed to sell you a product, not give you information about a product. That's secondary.

The second is being able to reduce motion blur. When 120Hz 1080p TVs first hit the market, they offered a noticeable improvement in motion resolution. The technology has only gotten better.

But if you're sensitive to motion blur, it is worth checking for a true 120Hz TV. It would be a shame to let all that extra 4K resolution go to waste due to blur. It's also worth checking reviews for measurements and subjective takes on how the TV handles motion -- that's more useful than any manufacturer-supplied spec.

-------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately, (in the same article) CNET doesn't clarify the TCL 75" refresh issue---

"TCL's sets say either "60/120Hz CMI" (for the cheapest 1080p models) or "120Hz CMI," but all of them are actually 60Hz native refresh. The only exception is the 75-inch 6 series, TCL's most expensive TV, which is 120Hz native."

All I can say, owning the TCL 75R615, is that I haven't detected any motion blur (yet). I mostly watch 4K/24p and 1080/24p blurays.

Caleb Denison, Senior Editor at Digital Trends, just posted his review of the 75" TCL today.

And to get a bit meta, here's a youtube review (and twice as long) of the Denison review.

This is why I'd prefer the 2018 model year Vizio P-Series over the new Vizio M-Series Quantums. The P-Series come with native 120 Hz panels while even the new M-Series are 60 Hz panels.
This thread has my renewed interest since now I have to replace a TV (accident at home). That and a planned upgrade.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Anybody have the 55" TCL 6-Series model? If so, how far apart are the stand feet?

Yes, that’s what I purchased. The stand feet are basically on either side of the set without extending past it. There’s about 37 or 38 inches between the feet where the connect on the set. The difference between the bottom of the feet where they sit on the table/stand is more like 47 or 48 inches.

I have the feet installed the traditional way, with them facing outwards, but they can also be installed facing inwards reducing the amount of space between them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was afraid of that as I will have to buy another TV stand or place it on a wall which I really don't want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks