What's new
World Wide Stereo

Looking for advice on Rear Surround Speaker placement (1 Viewer)

SStreetWolf

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor Van Dyke
Hello All,

I have a pair of Boston Acoustics vrs micro rear surround sound speakers like those found here: http://www.avguide.com/product/boston-acoustics/vrs-micro

I have an odd living room layout due to a vaulted ceiling, a fireplace being on the east wall and open hallways on the west and south walls. I am waiting a replacement part for the rears, but while I wait, I am trying to determine the best mounting locations for the new them. I already have cable behind the mounting locations with enough slack to locate them anywhere on the back wall. The mounting brackets are fixed to place the speaker perpendicular against the wall. I have created a layman drawing of the layout of the room as well as included a photo of the wall where these speakers will be mounted. Normally, I wouldn't have an issue, but since these are dipole speakers, I'm at a loss.

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and hopefully respond!

Victor

SStreetWolf

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor Van Dyke
Bill, thank you for your response. I have posted photos and some drawings on the following photobucket page.

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i315/SStreetWolf/Home%20Theater%20Project/

I do appriciate the link to the dolby site, but that works if your room configuration is proper square with the TV straight in front, and not using dipole speakers for the rears.

I've posted this same question on another forum, and received some interesting responses.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?p=771110#post771110

Thanks again Bill, but its not going to be that simple.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Victor,

Looking at a picture is sometimes worth a million words. You do have a problem room with a window and a fireplace is what would be a good location for your TV and front stage as the surrounds would then fit into the logic spelled out by Dolby.

Having to place your TV on the diagonal as you are pretty much forced to do creates problems for the placement of your front stage speakers and even more problems for your surrounds. My advise to you would be to place your right surround just to the right of your fireplace and place the left surround where that arrow shows up on the top of your diagrams, I would face the speakers so that they point at the sectional couch, If your receiver has a auto calibration system it will be able to compensate for the greater distance the surrounds my be from your seating area.

I tend to prefer this arrangement over the placement which shows up in your suggestion diagram. You can always try our different arrangements on a trial basis and see which one you like the best.

SStreetWolf

Auditioning
Real Name
Victor Van Dyke
Thank you for you suggestion, I plan on using a couple A frame ladders and a couple wood planks to find the overall sweet spot that works for my ear. With that said, I will try your suggestion and let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again, Bill!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shronkey234
Recent bookmarks