What's new

Lynch's "The Straight Story" (1 Viewer)

Gary Tooze

Senior HTF Member
Hey,

After three viewings ( 4 if you include watching the entire chapterless DVD again to get the screen captures that I obtained! ) I was finally able to write my graphic review on this modern masterpiece.

A totally enjoyable film experience. Richard Farnsworth's tour-de-force.

The screen captures I got turned out quite well from the Disney DVD. My review is http://207.136.67.23/film/Reviews/Straight%20Story.htm#[email protected]
DVD COLLECTION CONTEST , My DVD Collection ,My Home Theatre
DVDBeaver's 15 Member choices of the TOP 111 DVDs available today!

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I love The Straight Story and find it to be one of the most genuine and heartwarming movies I've seen in a long time. Creating a G rated film is something I never thought I'd see David Lynch do, but he pulls it off wonderfully and even manages to maintain that quirky Lynch style too.
Gregory

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Thanks for the review. I've read other reviews of this movie/DVD and all have high praise for it. I've tried unsuccessfully to find it for rent locally and at a couple of online places too (without signing up at Netflix, more than I want to do right now). I thought about buying it, but the price is rather steep. I may have to look into signing up for a new Columbia House membership and getting it as an enrollment selection.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I also have looked for this title at rental and have been unsuccessful. I refuse to sign up again with Netflix after all the problems I had in the past. Guess I'll buy it and unless I'm totally blown away, I can resell it.
patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I also have looked for this title at rental and have been unsuccessful.
This is the main reason I purchased this sight, unseen. I was not disappointed. It is a wonderful movie, with a great soundtrack. As far as finding a place to rent, I would try the "mom & pop" variety of rental stores and maybe Hollywood Video.
I think I saw a DVD copy of this at our public library that allows DVDs to be checked out for a week at no charge. A great deal. If all else fails, buy this DVD. You will more than likely want to watch this again or show it to others.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's a great movie. And Richard Farnsworth's last one. Great role.
Cees
PS: Film student class: 'The Straight Story' has some definite gay undertones.
laugh.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.
C.
[Edited last by Cees Alons on November 02, 2001 at 03:19 PM]

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
Great review Gary!
I like the larger-size film captures too
cool.gif

Not only is this wonderful film difficult to find for rental, it was even harder to find in a cinema!
This was the first of Lynch's brilliant films that I was unable to see on the big screen
angry.gif

Disney practically buried this film...what were they thinking???
It now looks like my 'unseen on the big screen' tally of Lynch films is about to jump to a total of 2.
Mulholland Drive isn't playing anywhere in my cesspool of a city...big surprise!
------------------
Link Removed

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Even if you do find it for rent here in Canada, it'll be the hack-job p&s version.
I saw this theatrically (the benefits of living in a bigger city) and feel it was the best film of 1999. So, it was an easy justification to order the WS version from the U.S.
I typically haven't connected to Lynch's work in the past (Elephant Man excepted), but this one totally hit home for me. Plus it featured the lovable geezer Richard Farnsworth in his best (and as it turned out, last) performance. Few actors can say so much by saying so little.

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
I have yet to see this DVD at any store for sale or rental.
angry.gif
It's bumming me out.
------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"

Here's some good news for Canadians. Alliance-Atlantis is finally releasing a proper widescreen disc of 'Straight Story'(quite possibly a repackaging of the U.S. Buena Vista disc). According to several online retailers (HMV, Videoflicks, Chapters-Indigo) it will be released on December 4th, 2001.

Casey Neutron

Stunt Coordinator
This is a wonderful film that quickly became my favorite of David Lynch's work. And there's a big laugh for the attentive Lynch fan (I didn't catch it until my second or third viewing). An image that is repeated in many of his films is the highway moving briskly before us, the lines in the road whizzing by at an accelerated pace. It's used in "Blue Velvet," "Wild at Heart," and to the greatest extent in "Lost Highway." In "The Straight Story" we get this image once again--except it's moving at only about 10 mph. Is this Lynch poking fun at himself?

Tomoko Noguchi

Second Unit
Cees,
Gay undertones? Where, may I ask?
Ok, I get it--Straight.
[Edited last by Tomoko Noguchi on November 04, 2001 at 08:30 PM]

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
The ending had me in tears.
Just the look on Stanton's face.
Brilliant acting.
------------------
-Dwayne

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Tomoko,
My remark was a reaction on what someone told us in another thread about observations in a film class (about another movie). And yes, that was the intended pun.
Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks