What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Seventy years ago on New Year’s Eve, MONEY FROM HOME was previewed in 322 key theatres in principal cities around the country. Due to a “shortage of prints” the preview was shown flat with the promise that 3-D bookings would begin in February 1954.

3-D Film Archive is currently restoring this landmark stereoscopic motion picture from the original Technicolor negatives. You can learn more about this massive restoration project in this clip:

Money3.jpg

Money1.jpg

Money2.jpg

Last edited:

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
There is not a single golden or silver era 3D restoration I'm not utterly giddy about. But for me, I'm thinking, Money From Home just might be the pinnacle of my desires. It was my dad who turned me on to Martin & Lewis. Anytime they were on TV, we'd watch. Many times we'd be in the den absolutely howling while watching Dean & Jerry. Then my mom would come in from the kitchen (she was an absolute doll, a former pinup model) with an apron on and her hands on her waist. She'd look at me and dad, then look at the TV, then look back at us and say, "Oh for Pete's sake!". Then, she'd march out of the room. Dad and I always cracked up. Years later after my Dad passed, my mother and I would watch Martin & Lewis in my theater. We'd laugh and laugh. And then, we'd cry.

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Bob: I do hope that some day you might consider opening up a new thread on Jerry. Not so much about news, movies or releases (per-say). Certainly that would be welcome and exciting. But maybe, just random thoughts. Recollections. One-offs as the thought passes. No expectations. Just a place to go drop a memory or two every now and then.

Unless, of course, you're writing a book?

Last edited:

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Ah, thank you. I co-authored one book over twenty years ago and have no plans for another one at this time.

That said, there's a new documentary in the works by the amazingly talented young filmmaker Sean Thrunk (SAVING SLICK, RESCUING RO-MAN) about our 40+ years of unique 3-D restoration work.

This is Sean's film but their may be some JL tales told. He's interviewed MANY colleagues in the past year, including Leonard Maltin and Chris Lewis so stay tuned!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Seventy years ago on New Year’s Eve, MONEY FROM HOME was previewed in 322 key theatres in principal cities around the country. Due to a “shortage of prints” the preview was shown flat with the promise that 3-D bookings would begin in February 1954.

3-D Film Archive is currently restoring this landmark stereoscopic motion picture from the original Technicolor negatives. You can learn more about this massive restoration project in this clip:

Money3.jpg

Money1.jpg

Money2.jpg

02/05/54 Warner Theatre with over 4,000 seats on the boardwalk in Atlantic City.

1warren020554.jpg

Artanis

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
02/05/54 Warner Theatre with over 4,000 seats on the boardwalk in Atlantic City.

1warren020554.jpg
On the "Miracle Mirror Screen", no less. All I could find out about that screen was that it was sprayed with aluminum.
I wonder what the percent of reflectivity was on those, and if they're still in use today.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
On the "Miracle Mirror Screen", no less. All I could find out about that screen was that it was sprayed with aluminum.
I wonder what the percent of reflectivity was on those, and if they're still in use today.
The theater where I was projectionist back in the early 80s painted their screen with aluminum paint for 3-D (specifically, Friday the 13th 3-D). I had doubts, but it worked very well (the application was done very carefully). It helped that the theater was relatively narrow and didn't have a steep rake.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I always maintained that of all of the 3D films from the Silver Age, Friday the 13th 3D had the best 3D effects of any of them that I saw (with the possible exception of Comin' at Ya! but it had lots of focus problems that Friday did not).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
During the 80's silver age, we had to replace our flat mat screens with 'silver screens' due to need to boost reflectivity. With Friday 13th those screens were paid for. There were a few companies that offered to paint your screen. A few of our competitors did so, but the outcome was less than satisfactory. The painting was not even.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks