What's new

Press Release Mill Creek Press Release: The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek (DVD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
683904550545_TheCenterSeatDVD_3D.MAIN.jpg

FEBRUARY 28, 2023 | FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

The Ultimate Deep Dive into Star Trek

The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek

Coming to DVD April 25th

Mill Creek Entertainment announces the release of The Nacelle Company’s documentary on the Academy® and Emmy® Award-winning TV series Star Trek. The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek launches on DVD on April 25, 2023.

Directed by Brian Volk-Weiss (The Movies That Made Us, The Toys That Made Us, Behind the Attraction), The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek is an 11-episode documentary series taking viewers on the definitive, in-depth journey behind the scenes of one of the greatest landmark franchises of all time; Star Trek.

Honoring the show’s 55th anniversary, the 4-disc set features interviews with cast, crew, and experts, exploring pivotal moments in the franchise’s history from its inception at Lucille Ball’s production company Desilu to the recent film and television spinoffs.

Immerse yourself in nostalgia as long-time cast member Gates McFadden narrates Star Trek’s deep history while actors of the franchise provide insight into their experiences on set, chronicling the rare and fascinating details of how the show began and its journey to becoming one of the most loved and storied series of all time.

This collector’s edition includes over 3.5 hours of never-before-seen on TV bonus interviews with Star Trek legends Leonard Nimroy, Nichelle Nichols, and Kirstie Alley on their ground-breaking characters and experiences in the franchise!

Transport yourself back in time with your favorite characters, and check out the trailer here!

This unfiltered set is the only way to own the 55th-anniversary edition with the never-before-seen uncut interviews of one of the most iconic series of all time. The Center Seat: 55 Years of Star Trek will be available on DVD on April 25, 2023.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I viewed the first four episodes when it was shown on one of my cable channels last year. It was well made and entertaining.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, thanks for posting this Ron. I heard of this documentary but without cable, I could never see it. I am surprised it’s a DVD and not a higher resolution format.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Ten minutes of this gave me a headache. The first episode was one of those documentaries where no shot is longer than a few seconds, and sound bites are even shorter, because the film doesn't have enough confidence in itself and is afraid someone is going to shut it off if it doesn't move at a frenetic pace. When Marc Cushman appeared as an authority on Star Trek, I bailed. That said, I do imagine the special features raw interviews might be worth seeing. Happy for Star Trek fans who enjoy this. I'm just not one of them.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Ten minutes of this gave me a headache. The first episode was one of those documentaries where no shot is longer than a few seconds, and sound bites are even shorter, because the film doesn't have enough confidence in itself and is afraid someone is going to shut it off if it doesn't move at a frenetic pace. When Marc Cushman appeared as an authority on Star Trek, I bailed. That said, I do imagine the special features raw interviews might be worth seeing. Happy for Star Trek fans who enjoy this. I'm just not one of them.
WarnerAnus Cable introduced eMptyTV to the world and since them shots lasting more than a frame or two are passee (gassay) ... Ironically they don't even play Alainis Morrisette videos on that channel from what I hear...<_<

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Ironically they don't even play Alainis Morrisette videos on that channel from what I hear...<_<

Are you saying this because you're a fan of hers, or because you have listened to some of her music?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
This documentary - 11 episodes - is now streaming on Amazon. I watched the first two episodes last night. It's OK, something to watch on a day with nothing else to do. I won't be buying it.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
This documentary - 11 episodes - is now streaming on Amazon. I watched the first two episodes last night. It's OK, something to watch on a day with nothing else to do. I won't be buying it.
Thanks! I watched it... Here are some general comments:

It's yet another modern production that seems to think music needs to be under *everything* - fitting or not. This one's full of music that's often inappropriate to what's being said with every single one sounding like a generic library cue. JUST STOP ALREADY!!!! Not every scene, especially a "documentary," needs an underscore!!! For me, that constant underscore in this production often takes away from what's being said.

There's far too much "cutesy," groan inducing, often cliche, lines where the writer is apparently attempting to be clever/humorous but, more often than not, is just amateurish, sounding like lines written by a 14 year old attempting to sound clever. At least they seemed to dwindle as the series progressed.

The first episode spends far too much time, over half the running time, focusing on Lucille Ball and the building of DesiLu as a production company. Yes, that's an important aspect of the story but it could have been told in half the time. Once you get past that episode things pick up significantly.

The first 5 episodes are exclusively about TOS. Episode 6 goes back in time a bit to pick up with the creation of TNG, E7 is DS9, E8 for Voyager, E9 is all about ship design with lots of repeat material from other episodes, E10 discusses Enterprise where they properly trash talk the theme song, and E11 began with mini interviews/recollections with primary and guest actors, which had some fun moments, and discussions about the dialog, also interesting. E11 also rehashed several things that had already been covered well enough, especially the addition of Jeri Ryan as Seven-of-Nine in Voyager and the end of Enterprise. Talk about the fans also got some time at the end of E11 and more rehashes of the political meanings in some TOS episodes and some final comments from many of the principal cast.

Star Trek: Discovery and the Kelvin films received only brief mentions at the end of E8 and a couple of minutes each at the end of E11. Outside a brief mention and clip of "Generations" (because it showed Kirk) in the ST:VI film episode, the TNG films were not mentioned at all. While I don't think they're particularly good they, at the very least, deserved to have an entire episode devoted to them. That would have been a better episode than one exclusively about the various ships. For me, *all* of the series after TOS needed a 2nd episode.

Overall, there's no new TOS information here for those of us who've been fans for decades. In spite of that those episodes were interesting and an overall fun watch. I *did* learn several things about TNG as I never paid much attention to that series, having written it off by the end of its first season. Got a bit for DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise as well, but not much.

Gates McFadden is a decent narrator. The appearance of many of the principal, behind-the-scenes, participants was a nice touch. Disregarding the poor scoring choice it's generally well done.

Since it's streaming free on Prime I'll watch it again before deciding if I "need" a copy for the bonus interview stuff it contains that's not available for streaming. It's not bad but has a few issues the prevent it being definitive.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Since it's streaming free on Prime I'll watch it again before deciding if I "need" a copy for the bonus interview stuff it contains that's not available for streaming. It's not bad but has a few issues the prevent it being definitive.

That's probably best-- it wouldn't be right to plunk down the cash for a Star Trek "documentary" that has all the issues you mentioned and more.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Howie for the review of this documentary. It’s been on my list of discs to buy. Good to read a review of it. I’ll go in with low expectations!

Plus good to know it’s streaming on Amazon, I could preview it there too.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have a review copy on hand for HTF and will post my thoughts once I’m able to work my way through it. From the little bit I’ve seen so far, I’m enjoying it in the fun, lighthearted way I believe was intended.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
It held my interest as I worked my way through the 11 episodes, but as a life-long trekker, I don't think I learned anything new, at least nothing earthshattering.

Some of it was fun, other times repetitive. Overall I'm glad I was able to watch it, but it's not something I need to own. I'll save my money for a Bluray set of SNW.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I think my biggest disappointment in the series was that it completely ignored the TNG movies. After the focus on each TOS movie I was looking forward to the TNG movie break downs and all they presented was the shot of Kirk's last line of "Generations" at the end of the TOS era episodes. While I'm not a fan of the Borg, I don't recall them even being mentioned until the Voyager episode. Considering they were a huge focus of several TNG episodes you'd think they'd have been mentioned in the single TNG episode.

I still enjoyed it but wish they'd have spent more time with the non-TOS series.

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
But I still enjoyed it but wish they'd have spent more time with the non-TOS series.

Why was Star Trek in this documentary series mainly only defined as the O-R 60s NBC series, while giving basically short shrift to everything that came after?

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I think my biggest disappointment in the series was that it completely ignored the TNG movies. After the focus on each TOS movie I was looking forward to the TNG movie break downs and all they presented was the shot of Kirk's last line of "Generations" at the end of the TOS era episodes. While I'm not a fan of the Borg, I don't recall them even being mentioned until the Voyager episode. Considering they were a huge focus of several TNG episodes you'd think they'd have been mentioned in the single TNG episode.

I still enjoyed it but wish they'd have spent more time with the non-TOS series.
No mention of the animated series?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks