What's new

Mill Creek to distribute hundreds of Disney properties on DVD, and Blu-Ray (1 Viewer)

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
As I said above, most likely - Sony has been mastering titles in HD for a couple decades. They were smart enough to understand HD broadcast and home video was coming and started future proofing very early.

If you have any DVDs from Sony in your collection, check out the grid on the back of the case with the technical specs - you’ll almost always see the text “Mastered in high definition” printed there.

One that I had (don't have it anymore) was Hart to Hart-- IIRC, the first two releases from Sony (before the dry spell that Shout! eventually ended; Shout! completed the series) had that "Mastered in High Definition" wording on there.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I think one thing we can agree on is that all studios should be restoring and getting as much out there as possible, as soon as possible.
As long as Quality and not Quantity is the "Northstar" here. Inevitably, for every person on this forum that is thrilled with a new announcement, there seem to be more that are disappointed that this or that has not been released. I think the Warner Archive and Criterion models are the most realistic going forward: a carefully curated bunch of titles a month, some new and some just upgrades. As new restorations are done, hopefully a nice blu ray, etc. to follow. Right now, you are more apt to get an upgraded 4k of a known best seller than a new release. It's about ROI. And it is great time for third party releases - arrow, kino, cohen, imprint, indicator, twilight time, etc., all releasing key titles to please the collector.

Last edited:

onga999

Agent
Real Name
Oak
I'd love to see the animated adult comedy shows continue to get DVD releases. Hopefully The Simpsons, Family Guy, Archer, American Dad and more from that part of the company get newer seasons on disc. The Simpsons in particular really needs it.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I'd love to see the animated adult comedy shows continue to get DVD releases. Hopefully The Simpsons, Family Guy, Archer, American Dad and more from that part of the company get newer seasons on disc. The Simpsons in particular really needs it.
Methinks they want you to buy subs to Disney +, Hulu, Prime, etc. to get a lot of that content. At least for now while they are still trying to have exclusive content solely on Disney owned streamers.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There's far more promise for the still to be announced Fox/Mill Creek BD collections which will probably have many delicious surprises. Can't wait for those (if the Rita Hayworth set was any indication)!
Sorry but per a posting at the Digital Bits the Disney deal with Mill Creek will be re releases of stuff that have gone out of print.

First, this deal does NOT include 4K Ultra HD titles.

This deal also does not include new content, new transfers, or new remasters.

Titles that were previously released on DVD will be re-issued on DVD, and titles previously issued on Blu-ray will be re-released on Blu-ray—there will be no format upgrades.

The total number of titles to expect is in the 100-200 range.

These are live-action, deep catalog tiles only.
(Think Mystery Alaska, In the Army Now, Transporter 2, Houseguest, etc.)

I should stress once again, that those points are confirmed with Disney sources

Beckford

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken
As far as the upcoming Fox titles coming from Mill Creek are concerned, I understand that the only Blu-rays they'll be putting out will be things that have already at some point been available in that format. But has it been clarified whether this would include former Twilight Time titles from Fox? Would so love to see a reissue of "The Egyptian".

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert

I have a few blu ray Mill Creek sets and I think they are decently done, despite the crammed epsiodes.

However, they really do DVD tv sets very cheaply... The packaging is the worst and DVD quality will vary of course.

I think that it's great to see stuff in print, but this place others will flip out if the Simpsons is released like other TV shows on DVD by Mill Creek.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
As far as the upcoming Fox titles coming from Mill Creek are concerned, I understand that the only Blu-rays they'll be putting out will be things that have already at some point been available in that format. But has it been clarified whether this would include former Twilight Time titles from Fox? Would so love to see a reissue of "The Egyptian".
There is always hope. However per the Digital Bits:
These are live-action, deep catalog tiles only. (Think Mystery Alaska, In the Army Now, Transporter 2, Houseguest, etc.) Would "The Egyptian" be considered deep catalog? Per the films given as examples they seem more recent, less popular titles.

On the other hand Disney will release 2oth films themselves. Probably not many but also per Digital Bits:

This is also not to say that new transfers, remasters, and 4K titles aren’t possible (we already know that some are coming from Disney this year as mentioned here on The Bits previously—Avatar, The Abyss, True Lies, Cinderella, etc), just that they’re not part of this deal with Mill Creek.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I certainly hope that The Egyptian might be included, as hopefully would Demetrius and the Gladiators and even the now OOP in HD The Robe.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
There are alot of Fox 1940's films DVD or Blu ray that appear to be OP including
Kiss of Death
The Dark Corner
Laura ( though Amazon says blu ray will be back in March)
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (blu Ray) DVD seems still available
Fallen Angel.

I like this cover but it appears to be from a bootleg.

1676325977578.png

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Mill Creek could have a field day with all the fabulous Fox titles. Here's hoping for genre sets which would be a real treat.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
There are alot of Fox 1940's films DVD or Blu ray that appear to be OP including
Kiss of Death
The Dark Corner
Laura ( though Amazon says blu ray will be back in March)
The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (blu Ray) DVD seems still available
Fallen Angel.

I like this cover but it appears to be from a bootleg.

View attachment 175958
Maybe "Laura" is from MILL CREEK ? I am hoping to get the BR of "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing" as I missed the TT one. And it has a ridiculous price on EBAY and Amazon......

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That DD link shows the release date of 02-05-13 which is when I bought my Blu-ray of it. I'm afraid it's OPP.
Mr C didnt KINO release some of the FOX Noirs on blu ray never see them for sale any longer they all sold out? I know they lost the rights but no one has one of them for sale - Just checked yes KLs Boomerang 15.99 and I think House On 92nd Still available both blu ray

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mr C didnt KINO release some of the FOX Noirs on blu ray never see them for sale any longer they all sold out? I know they lost the rights but no one has one of them for sale - Just checked yes KLs Boomerang 15.99 and I think House On 92nd Still available both blu ray
Fox had a deal with Kino back in 2016/2017. However, that was prior to the Disney sale so there might be some remaining stock at retailers. Once they're gone then that's it.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Those titles and several other 2oth movies are in Kino's While Supplies Last Sale section. So yes, when they are gone, that is it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks