What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
One of the great comedy-dramas set in wartime, John Ford and Mervyn LeRoy’s Mister Roberts comes to Blu-ray finally in a video and audio presentation that’s worthy of the film’s greatness.

Mister Roberts (1955)

Released: 30 Jul 1955
Rated: Not Rated
Runtime: 123 min

Director: John Ford, Mervyn LeRoy, Joshua Logan
Genre: Comedy, Drama, War

Cast: Henry Fonda, James Cagney, William Powell, Jack Lemmon
Writer(s): Frank S. Nugent (screenplay), Joshua Logan (screenplay), Thomas Heggen (based on the play by), Joshua Logan (based on the play by), Thomas Heggen (from the novel by)

Plot: In the waning days of World War II, the United States Navy cargo ship Reluctant and her crew are stationed in the "backwater" areas of the Pacific Ocean. Trouble ensues when the crew members are granted liberty...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Got my copy today. When it came I realized that a couple extras from the old DVD were not ported over, namely the lengthy excerpt of the 1955 Ed Sullivan Show program where there were scenes from the movie done live on stage and the clip from the Fonda documentary. I had to make sure I ripped those before disposing of the DVD which otherwise would serve no further purpose.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Great review, Matt! Absolutely love this film!

With the Christmas mail backlog, I likely won't have my copy of the new Blu-ray until after the new year. I'll hold onto my old DVD (part of the 4 film 'Henry Fonda Signature Collection') for those nice extras that weren't ported over.

Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, Mister Roberts is immortal Americana of the finest kind. Still inspiring with it's comedic wit, insight and pathos with it's once-in-a-lifetime casting of all time greats!

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Actually the audio is 5.1, not stereo. 5.1 does not mix down very well to stereo, in my experience. I don't get why companies assume anyone with a blu-ray player must have a frickin "home theater" with 5 speakers. :angry:

MovieMan66

Grip
Real Name
Jay
Got my copy today. When it came I realized that a couple extras from the old DVD were not ported over, namely the lengthy excerpt of the 1955 Ed Sullivan Show program where there were scenes from the movie done live on stage and the clip from the Fonda documentary. I had to make sure I ripped those before disposing of the DVD which otherwise would serve no further purpose.

The thing I remember most from that excerpt of the Ed Sullivan Show with Cagney and Fonda recreating a scene from the fiilm was Cagney forgetting his lines and Fonda having to rescue him...a very uncomfortable 30 seconds or so.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Someone said the laser disc had directional dialog. This review says it's only in the center channel. I'll pass.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Someone said the laser disc had directional dialog. This review says it's only in the center channel. I'll pass.

Well we all have our own rules, & if the picture was sub-standard (rotten colour, overly dirty, wrong aspect ratio ect) then I'd pass, but non-directional dialogue I can live with. The film's the thing.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
It also doesn't have chapter selection. It may be he only movie blu or DVD I own that doesn't have it.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It also doesn't have chapter selection. It may be he only movie blu or DVD I own that doesn't have it.

I don't think the early Twilight Time Blu-rays had chapters, my Blu-ray of The Egyptian doesn't have a chapter selection, there are chapter breaks every ten minutes, but I think that's automatic with Blu-rays. Very unusual these days, but these are strange times we're living through.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Watched the BD earlier this evening. I was very pleased with all aspects of the presentation and find myself in complete agreement with Matt's review.

It had been some time since I watched this film and while I remembered virtually every scene of the film, viewing the film again reminded me just how much I enjoyed the entire feature. All in all, an extremely satisfying revisit of a film I've loved ever since my first viewing on television many, many years ago. Really like the casting of this film, including the supporting characters.

Definitely recommended.

- Walter.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I don't think the early Twilight Time Blu-rays had chapters, my Blu-ray of The Egyptian doesn't have a chapter selection, there are chapter breaks every ten minutes, but I think that's automatic with Blu-rays. Very unusual these days, but these are strange times we're living through.

I think he was being sarcastic. Lol

but then maybe not! I’m in trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unbob
Recent bookmarks