What's new

Mosquito Magnet Opinions? (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I was out working on my deck after work tonight and was eaten alive by mosquitos. All the rain we've been having has been nirvana for them and this is the worst I've seen since living in Houston.

As I appears we're facing a horrid mosquito season this summer, I'm seriously considering buying a Mosquito Magnet. I'd love to hear from those of you that have them or have tried them. Do they really help? What's the maintennance like? Did you have trouble finding a good spot for it?

Thanks!

-greg

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I was considering one, but consumer reports gave it a lackluster review. They suggested stay with DEET netting screens and heavy doses of vitamin b12

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
I have no experience with them, but I know they're just lures and traps for the mosquitos. If you could surround yourself with them, keeping them at least 30 feet away from where you intend to be, they would probably work okay. (30 feet is said to be the range of the mosquito's carbon dioxide detector.) You could experiment with a home made version by getting a few pounds of dry ice and setting it in a far corner of the yard. If the mosquitos start congregating in that corner, you might have luck with the more sophisticated gizmo.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
The problem is they attract mosquitos very well...and if you're anywhere near them you're going to get bitten. If you can located them far enough away from you it might have some impact but if the local population is as high as you say you might as well not bother. We've got a few research scientists on staff that are reviewing what few studies have been done on these things and so far it does not appear that they afford any protection...and in fact may only make matters worse.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Thanks, guys. I've heard of the dry ice technique and a lot of Deet or Off certainly costs less than what they cost.

-greg

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
old thread but I was wondering if anyone else had any practical experience with the various mosquito "lures" out there including the mosquito magnet. It seems pretty obvious that positioning these would have an impact on their usefulness so it would be nice to hear from folks who have actually tried them out.l

Thanks,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.