What's new
World Wide Stereo

New HT in Sun City, Ca (1 Viewer)

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Dave Moritz said:
NIce set up I wish I had the money and a larger room and the space to do something like that. What model are those JBL's?

This is what I am using, unfortunantly I only have one pair and I wish I would have know my father was selling them earlier because he had two pair and a pair of 18" subs along with three 300 watt stereo commercial yamaha natural sound power amplifiers.
Hey Dave....here's what you REALLY need!!!

Attachments

• Theater20speakers.jpg
    Theater20speakers.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 124

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Kelmar failsafe/cue detector. This will turn off the light source and projector should the film break. In addition by placing cue sensing tape on the edge of the film, this device will send necessary signals to the automation that will raise/lower the lights in the screening area, roll the curtain, change audio formats on the Dolby Digital Processor and a host of other things if you wish to get fancy.
Failsafe.JPG

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
DFurr said:
Kelmar failsafe/cue detector. This will turn off the light source and projector should the film break. In addition by placing cue sensing tape on the edge of the film, this device will send necessary signals to the automation that will raise/lower the lights in the screening area, roll the curtain, change audio formats on the Dolby Digital Processor and a host of other things if you wish to get fancy.
attachicon.gif
Failsafe.JPG

Don, I just sent you a PM.

John

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
I think it's always a bonus when Forum members can meet and share their projects with each other. It was my pleasure having Forum member John Sparks over to the house this afternoon to "give the tour" and even had time to project a reel of 35mm 2:35 Dolby Digital trailers. It's also interesting that we share the same enthusiasm for the scifi horror genre. :)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I think it's always a bonus when Forum members can meet and share their projects with each other. It was my pleasure having Forum member John Sparks over to the house this afternoon to "give the tour" and even had time to project a reel of 35mm 2:35 Dolby Digital trailers. It's also interesting that we share the same enthusiasm for the scifi horror genre. :)
Well Don, it was a pleasure to see a real 35mm HT and thanks so much for allowing me to come to your home and see it.

Seeing those trailers in 35mm was just awesome and seeing that they were better then a BD was a telling experience about the clarity of film.

It was a great day to remember and I really enjoyed it...thanks again Don!!!

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Someone please help an old theatre man like me understand why HT folks only talk about screen size in terms of diagonal measurements and not width and height? I'm only talking about projection screens, not TV's. I just don't get it.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
DFurr said:
Someone please help an old theatre man like me understand why HT folks only talk about screen size in terms of diagonal measurements and not width and height? I'm only talking about projection screens, not TV's. I just don't get it.

Most of them have a TV as the display, and that is the lingo of the manufacturers. I am finally planning a projector and screen with constant image height - probably 2.35:1 ish - not sure yet. What is your screen shape and size? Do you ever project at 2.20:1? Any problems on screen shape that you can pass along, or anything you would do differently?

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
When projecting 35mm film, a test strip of film (RP40) is used to cut the plates for the projector to have the proper height and width picture on the screen. This is done to insure you see the exact image the director intended you to see. So no cropping/squeezing/stretching of the intended picture. My screen is a constant height version so I only need to use movable side masking to change the aspect ratio. So I elected to use the 2:39:1 & 1:85 theatrical specs when setting up my HT. The Epson projector zoom does a great job of matching those exact numbers when changing from scope to flat.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
For those interested here is what RP40 looks like when projected on a theatre screen.

Attachments

• rp40  index.jpg
    rp40 index.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 130

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Finally the lighting is complete. I have installed a ceiling medallion to the center ceiling. The blue paint on the rose is fluorescent and the globe is lit with a black light. It makes a nice effect.

Attachments

• ceiling rose.JPG
    ceiling rose.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Ceiling rose 1.JPG
    Ceiling rose 1.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 132

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
A couple of more pics from different vantage points with the curtain open to the 2:35 screen.

Attachments

• Room 1  MG_1934.JPG
    Room 1 MG_1934.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 136
  • Room 2  IMG_1936.JPG
    Room 2 IMG_1936.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 113

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
John Sparks said:
Don, it looks super...a piece of art!!!

Thanks John. Got the last seat installed this afternoon.

When you have time, let's run some film or a Blu Ray. You can tell me which one looks the best!!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
DFurr said:
Thanks John. Got the last seat installed this afternoon.

When you have time, let's run some film or a Blu Ray. You can tell me which one looks the best!!

You got it! I'll call you this afternoon.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Setting up the 35mm Polarized 3D tonight. First time since finishing the HT. First running a test loop to set the spacing on the lens for Friday the 13th part 3 in 3D. LOL...when the old man holds the eyeball out toward the camera it's right in your face. One of my favorite scenes in that movie. Ya gotta love a high gain 3D Silver screen. Takes a lot of light for 3D film.

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Did some lighting touch ups so I'm officially DONE with the HT interior.

Whew!!! If the sun was down I'd have a cocktail.

Attachments

• Finial Interior  IMG_1951.JPG
    Finial Interior IMG_1951.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 125

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
This week I'll be replacing the automation system from my older wall mounted version to a much newer rack mounted, very versatile system.

Not only will it cue up my film leader but it can strike the light in the lamphouse, start the projector, lower the house lights, open the curtain and put the picture on the screen but can also change the audio format in the Dolby CP650 and change the lens from 1:85 to 2:35. It will shut the entire system down if the film breaks but also bring up the house lights, close the curtain and start the intermission music. It's all very new to me but I'm anxious to start the installation tomorrow.

Attachments

• automation system   ca21rmlarge.jpg
    automation system ca21rmlarge.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 113

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Automation installed today. Seems to be working properly.

Now I've got to set all the parameters so it will start the show and shut down completely automatically. This piece of equipment is a bit more complicated than automations I've used before.

Attachments

• CA-21 Automation  unnamed.jpg
    CA-21 Automation unnamed.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 103

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks