What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

New MacBook and Comcast/Netgear network (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
We have Comcast internet at home and a Netgear router. This works quite well for our PCs. My daughter just got a MacBook and she is having trouble getting throughput with the network. Her MacBook tells her she is connected and she can usually get to one initial webpage, but after that it basically does not respond or does so extremely slowly. We are using WPA encoding. When she has gone over to babysit at a neighbor's she has been able to get on an "unprotected" network and has had no problems with that.

Doe anyone have any ideas of what we can try out and what settings on the MacBook we can adjust?

Thanks,

Neil

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
When we tried an ethernet cable directly from the MacBook to the router it appeared to connect to the internet and get web pages okay. Getting it through airport via WPA still doesn't work. Any clues of what to try?

Thanks,

Neil

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I had similar problems as well, when the Mac asked me for the WEP password, I kept typing in the Router password, but instead I was supposed to be typing in the WEP key I guess, and that solved my problems for wireless. I still have weird issues with my G4 desktop, where it connects fine with a cat 5 cable to the router, but after about 5 minutes or so the entire network craps out and I have to unplug the modem and router etc. I dont think any of this helps really though... sorry.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
We called up the AppleCare and after a long time on hold we talked to someone who ran us through a few things and then sent us to the wireless people. After more time on hold we got the suggestion that we could try just using a MacAccess list with our Netgear router. So, we disabled the WPA security and just included in the MacAddresses from the computers here at home. We verified with one laptop that not being on the list meant that that laptop could not connect to our network. So, with just the MacAccess list level of security my daughter's MacBook can connect to the internet through our home network.
Why it is that WPA didn't seem to really work with her MacBook is just going to be one of life's mysteries.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks