What's new
World Wide Stereo

New Member Hello! (2 Viewers)

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
Hello Everyone,

I've been a reader/lurker here for a few years, I only learned about this forum while researching "The Name of the Game" television show though I see this forum has been going a long time.

I only collected DVD's and Blu-Rays sporadically in the past (my entrance was around the year 2000 when the original Star Trek: TOS DVD's were first released, 2 episodes at a time on one disc for $20, though I usually waited for Best Buy to put them on sale at $15). Anyway I would purchase DVD's sporadically for older shows and movies that really interested me (I distinctly remember buying the early ST: TNG DVD's which were not great; along with some older movie blind buys out of curiosity). Once Blu-Ray became I established I collected a bit more but still passively.

Once we were locked down for Covid-19 my collecting became much more intense and continues be so into 2024. We really do live in an amazing time to have access to so much media from the past in great condition; we've come a long way from watching panned-and-scanned movies that maybe showed once a year on major network if we were lucky. I find this forum a great resource and very educational and hope I can contribute moving forward. I'm also looking at creating a new home theater space in the next 2 years, so I'll definitely be using this place as a resource. I look forward to some great conversation here in the future!

Tim

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Indeed we are. The last several days have been beautiful. My wife and I are getting back into daily walks around the neighborhood. Several days before that of large amounts of rain were depressing, though the rain aided the rising temperatures in ridding us of the foot of snow we got before that.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
All sounds excellent, Tim! Great stuff on this site. Please keep us updated as you upgrade your home theater - always an interesting journey with lots for everyone to learn.
robin williams hello GIF

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
Indeed we are. The last several days have been beautiful. My wife and I are getting back into daily walks around the neighborhood. Several days before that of large amounts of rain were depressing, though the rain aided the rising temperatures in ridding us of the foot of snow we got before that.
Same here (for reference I'm in true western Mass, Berkshire County) and I know how you feel. I've been out for a few walks lately and striving to get out again daily if I can. I had quite a few conversations over the past weekend and the non-stop gray days have caught up to nearly everyone. All part of the fun living in New England. . .

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
All sounds excellent, Tim! Great stuff on this site. Please keep us updated as you upgrade your home theater - always an interesting journey with lots for everyone to learn.
robin williams hello GIF
Thank you so much Jim! I have a few projects to tackle beforehand but I'll get there eventually, at least for now I can start looking at other set-ups and keep educating myself (though of course the technology never stops evolving).

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Welcome! I decided to check my profile…I just hit TWENTY YEARS here! I’m less of a collector as I’ve gotten older but this is a great resource for finding good movies and shows that might have flown under the radar. Welcome and enjoy the great HTF community!

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
Ah, I wondered. I lived in Greater Boston area for the first 50 years of my existence, before moving (for love) to NH.
Good deal. My father's family moved to Concord in the late 1930's and he grew up there - I remember visiting my grandmother quite a bit in the 70's/80's when I was boy/teen-ager. I'm glad you found a home in New Hampshire. I may eventually try to move south or west (where I lived for a few years); every year the cold and gray of the New England winters seems to take a little more out of me (not that I'm that old, but I'm not getting any younger either haha).

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
Welcome! I decided to check my profile…I just hit TWENTY YEARS here! I’m less of a collector as I’ve gotten older but this is a great resource for finding good movies and shows that might have flown under the radar. Welcome and enjoy the great HTF community!
Thank you so much! It's amazing the last 20 years have flown by, at least from my perspective. I'm looking forward to the interaction here. As I wrote yesterday I really am amazed at what we now have at our fingertips in terms of collecting, but we also know the sales of the physical media niche is shrinking fast and major retailers are dropping out (Best Buy exiting last year; rumors right now Target may do the same by 2025). Interesting times we live in for sure.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Welcome, Tim! Been enjoying your posts in the McMillan & Wife thread. Hope to read more of your thoughts in other classic TV-on-DVD and moive threads.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Neglected myself to give you a post of welcome here-- I think we'll have a few pretty good discussions.

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
Welcome, Tim! Been enjoying your posts in the McMillan & Wife thread. Hope to read more of your thoughts in other classic TV-on-DVD and moive threads.
Thank you Jeff, much appreciated! And yes I hope contribute to the discussions as much as I can, and also learn as much as I can too with so many knowledgable people here!

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
Neglected myself to give you a post of welcome here-- I think we'll have a few pretty good discussions.
Thank you Ben! Looking forward to more discussions as well, I feel we're off to a good start. I just responded to you a few minutes ago. . .I might just pick up that Emergency! set this week, you could be talking me into it!

AlohaTiger

Auditioning
Real Name
Frankie
Aloha Tim! These guys & gals are great & really know their stuff so you came to the right place . I trimmed my collection over the years but I’m kicking myself now for selling some of them as they go for mucho dinero now . Oh well , live & learn . Once a collector, always a collector , so I’m always on the hunt. Sometimes the hunt is as enjoyable as the find

OttoIsHere

Agent
Real Name
Tim S
Aloha Tim! These guys & gals are great & really know their stuff so you came to the right place . I trimmed my collection over the years but I’m kicking myself now for selling some of them as they go for mucho dinero now . Oh well , live & learn . Once a collector, always a collector , so I’m always on the hunt. Sometimes the hunt is as enjoyable as the find
Mahalo Frankie! I just replied to you about my Emergency! buying journey, your thoughts were extremely helpful. And I agree, they are definitely a lot of very knowledgable people here!

I'm trimming other things from my possessions but my disc collection is one part of my life that is still in a growth phase. I think for many of us, it's hard wired into us to collect something, and currently I'm into the discs!

And I'm seeing the same thing with the pricing, thankfully it's worked out well for me with all the purchases I made 3-4 years ago during the pandemic lockdown. Some of those that are now out of print are currently going for 3-4 times what I paid for them.

Thanks again for your thoughts on Emergency!, you helped me put the brakes on from making a regrettable purchase. . .

AlohaTiger

Auditioning
Real Name
Frankie
Yeah , that was a great time to collect as so many people were selling off their stuff , some were practically giving it away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks