What's new
World Wide Stereo

Now we have a format war! HDR10+ vs Dolby Vision (1 Viewer)

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Different kind of war since they can both co-exist on the same equipment.

Dolby vs DTS instead of VHS vs Laserdisc vs Beta vs CED of Cheerios vs Asphalt

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Is it really a format war when HDR10 is part of the 4K UHD Blu-ray spec and Dolby Vision isn't? HDR10+, the answer to DV, has been announced and requires no licensing fee to use it. It also sounds ds like it doesn't require special hardware like DV.

How successful is a proprietary, licensed, system going to be against an open source, relatively inexpensive, system that is a requirement on 4K discs. I'd say not much.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If disks were all that mattered you'd have a point. DV is killing it on streaming and download tho.

How long will that last if HDR10+ is comparable to DV and costs considerably less? What streaming service uses DV? Netflix?

3D Projectionist

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Lenny
Wot no mention of Digital VHS (D-VHS)
Still use my Sanyo M40 Hi-Fi stereo Betamax from time to time to keep those capacitors going as well from around 1984, probably the best investment I ever made and given me the most enjoyment.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Still use my Sanyo M40 Hi-Fi stereo Betamax from time to time to keep those capacitors going as well from around 1984, probably the best investment I ever made and given me the most enjoyment.

I had a Sanyo 7200 (official product of the 1984 LA Olympics, dontcha know?!?) HiFi Beta deck. Loved it. But it totally crapped the bed and I had to get rid of it. Am now working with garage sale finds...my current Beta deck is a Sony on its last legs.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
So, who’s using Dolby Vision? At the time of this writing, all seven major Hollywood studios are mastering in Dolby Vision for Cinema. Studios that have pledged support to master content in Dolby Vision for home distribution include Universal, Warner Brothers, Sony Pictures, and MGM. Content providers that have agreed to distribute streaming Dolby Vision content include Netflix, Vudu, and Amazon. If you want to watch Dolby Vision content on television at home, consumer display manufacturers LG, TCL, Vizio, and HiSense have all announced models with Dolby Vision support.

http://vanhurkman.com/wordpress/?p=3548

^studios when creating HDR masters are heavily leans towards DV, which is really writing the rule-book on HDR mastering.

you are not really seeing non-DV vendors writing the rules for creating masters.

the 'war' spoken of really exists on CE playback side: http://televisions.reviewed.com/features/dolby-says-the-hdr-format-war-doesnt-exist

i personally am looking forward to all the eventual DV-graded UHD titles as the true arrival of UHD HDR discs.. not UHD without DV.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
i personally am looking forward to all the eventual DV-graded UHD titles as the true arrival of UHD HDR discs.. not UHD without DV.

You say this, yet post a link to an article where Dolby, itself, says there is no format war and that DV and HDR10 can co-exist, which pretty well negates the idea that the only "true HDR" discs are ones that use DV.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
FWIW, HDR10+ is not part of the official UHD spec. Only HDR10, Dolby Vision, and another HDR variant called Philips HDR are officially supported.

It's possible that HDR10+ could be approved and added to the UHD specs at a later date, but for now, it's only really available for streaming.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
HDR10+ just sounds like an extension to HDR10. I doubt it has to be included in the UHD spec, since the existing HDR10 can most likely be updated via a firmware update. I doubt that it will require additional hardware like DV does. It is moot to me as the set I have now supports DV. In fact, I was watching a DV encoded film on NetFlix just awhile ago. It was an anime called Blame!

It will pretty well be moot to anyone buying a 4K set from 2017 on anyway, as I think all 4K UHD sets are going to be supporting both standards going forward. LG sets even support another HDR standard by Technicolor as well as HLG. The point is there is no format war involving the two main standards. Unless Samsung is stupid enough to not include DV when the rest of their competitors are.

Edit: i watched some footage from IFA 2017. In it, they were talking to a Panasonic rep regarding why they have chosen HDR10+. In that conversation, he stated that an application to add HDR10+ to the UHD spec has been made. I'd expect it to start showing up somewhere in 2018, but you were right. At this time, it only benefits streaming just as DV was doing up until this year.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks