What's new

NTSC vs PAL question (1 Viewer)

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Greetings all - I have some home movies burned on a standard format DVD-R (i.e. it has menus, etc., not a data disc). I would like to send a copy of this disc to a relative in England. I am assuming since this DVD was created in the USA, it is NTSC based. My relative has a blu-ray player and a modern flat-screen TV - does NTSC still matter with modern equipment? I just do not want to send him a disc he can't play and I have tried googling this but have found conflicting info on the internet (imagine that) and I trust this community more.

Thank you in advance for any info, I am most grateful.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don't think there is an Pal vs NTSC issue with DVD-Rs. They're universal. Remember, all those MOD discs released by Warner Archive, Universal Vault and Fox are playable without problems throughout the world include Europe, the land of PAL format.

YANG

Screenwriter
By right, most of the DVD format gears in worldwide market should not have problem playing NTSC discs in PAL regions and vice versa. The only concern will only be the resolution settings the other side set on their players. Natively output of PAL@ 576lines or NTSC@ 480lines... depending on their screen size, too big that displays soft picture, or blurred picture.

YANG

Screenwriter
...I just do not want to send him a disc he can't play and I have tried googling this but have found conflicting info on the internet (imagine that) and I trust this community more.

Thank you in advance for any info, I am most grateful.
the only time that your discs can't be played is when during transfer stage wrong video format is chosen, and the disc is not transferred in a universal DVD language that dedicated or brand restricted players have problem recognizing the disc as DVD. My own personal experience, Philips DVD recorder recorded and edited discs gets recognized with my Panasonic standalone players. But Panasonic recorder transferred and edited discs would just play in Philips players as well as computer drives for only a single chapter, then won't proceed anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonStorm@HTF
Recent bookmarks