What's new

Official 2024 Oscar Nominations And Discussion Thread (2 Viewers)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Since AMPAS announced the new CASTING category, I thought it would be interesting to see what's been nominated and what won the award at the BAFTAS, who instituted the category in 2019.

Joker (Shayna Markowitz)
Marriage Story (Douglas Aibel and Francine Maisler)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Victoria Thomas)
The Personal History of David Copperfield (Sarah Crowe)
The Two Popes (Javier Braier, Barbara Giordani, Nina Gold, Francesco Vedovati and Gabriel Villegas)

Guess what you would pick.
The winner is:
Joker

Calm with Horses (Shaheen Baig)
Judas and the Black Messiah (Alexa L. Fogel)
Minari (Julia Kim)
Promising Young Woman (Lindsay Graham Ahanonu and Mary Vernieu)
Rocks (Lucy Pardee)

The winner is:
Rocks

Boiling Point (Carolyn McLeod)
Dune (Francine Maisler)
The Hand of God (Massimo Appolloni and Annamaria Sambucco)
King Richard (Rich Delia and Avy Kaufman)
West Side Story (Cindy Tolan)

The winner is:
West Side Story

Aftersun (Lucy Pardee)
All Quiet on the Western Front (Simone Bär)
Elvis (Nikki Barrett and Denise Chamian)
Everything Everywhere All at Once (Sarah Halley Finn)
Triangle of Sadness (Pauline Hansson)

The winner is:
Elvis

All of Us Strangers (Kathleen Crawford)
Anatomy of a Fall (Cynthia Arra)
The Holdovers (Susan Shopmaker)
How to Have Sex (Isabella Odoffin)
Killers of the Flower Moon (Ellen Lewis and Rene Haynes)

The winner is:
The Holdovers

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Since AMPAS announced the new CASTING category, I thought it would be interesting to see what's been nominated and what won the award at the BAFTAS, who instituted the category in 2019.

Joker (Shayna Markowitz)
Marriage Story (Douglas Aibel and Francine Maisler)
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Victoria Thomas)
The Personal History of David Copperfield (Sarah Crowe)
The Two Popes (Javier Braier, Barbara Giordani, Nina Gold, Francesco Vedovati and Gabriel Villegas)

Guess what you would pick.
The winner is:
Joker

Calm with Horses (Shaheen Baig)
Judas and the Black Messiah (Alexa L. Fogel)
Minari (Julia Kim)
Promising Young Woman (Lindsay Graham Ahanonu and Mary Vernieu)
Rocks (Lucy Pardee)

The winner is:
Rocks

Boiling Point (Carolyn McLeod)
Dune (Francine Maisler)
The Hand of God (Massimo Appolloni and Annamaria Sambucco)
King Richard (Rich Delia and Avy Kaufman)
West Side Story (Cindy Tolan)

The winner is:
West Side Story

Aftersun (Lucy Pardee)
All Quiet on the Western Front (Simone Bär)
Elvis (Nikki Barrett and Denise Chamian)
Everything Everywhere All at Once (Sarah Halley Finn)
Triangle of Sadness (Pauline Hansson)

The winner is:
Elvis

All of Us Strangers (Kathleen Crawford)
Anatomy of a Fall (Cynthia Arra)
The Holdovers (Susan Shopmaker)
How to Have Sex (Isabella Odoffin)
Killers of the Flower Moon (Ellen Lewis and Rene Haynes)

The winner is:
The Holdovers
As they said in the Bronx and Brooklyn, same difference.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The biggest improvement they can make next year is codifying the fact that all Best Picture nominees must be read at the end of the show. This is so obvious that I am surprised it even needs to be said, but apparently it must be written in stone. It is ridiculous that this was not done this year.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
The biggest improvement they can make next year is codifying the fact that all Best Picture nominees must be read at the end of the show. This is so obvious that I am surprised it even needs to be said, but apparently it must be written in stone. It is ridiculous that this was not done this year.
So Oppenheimer was announced as the winner, and the other 9 nominees weren’t read? If this is the case, it’s unacceptable.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
So Oppenheimer was announced as the winner, and the other 9 nominees weren’t read? If this is the case, it’s unacceptable.
They were announced and shown throughout the ceremony. It was the producers who decided for Pacino to just announce the winner. Poor choice.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
I can't believe people care so much about the choice not to have read the Best Picture nominations. Those watching the show saw them all in clips throughout the telecast. Avid watchers know what they are already. Those turning in only to see what won Best Picture would already know what the nominees were. The problem was mostly it felt like Pacino didn't know what he was doing. What Jim wrote would've sufficed without reading the nominations again.

"Throughout the evening, we've had the pleasure of viewing the extraordinary work of these film makers. The time has come, to honour one amongst all of these worthy cinematic achievements. And the Oscar goes to...."

Would that have been so hard?

And just go back to 5 nominees. ;)

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin

How to Improve the Oscars: Add New Categories, Bump the Show Up to February and More​

Yeah, that's just what the Oscars needs, a lot of new categories. :rolleyes:

The biggest reason the Oscars aren't as popular as they used to be is they aren't the only game in town anymore. It seems every group imaginable now has their own movie awards that are all accessible in one way or another to everyone on the planet. Not sure how you combat that.

I doubt anyone's going to do it, but one suggestion I read one time made the most sense to me, but I doubt it would ever happen. Someone suggested having Awards Show Week. Sort of like the movie Olympics, different award groups would give out their awards each day culminating in the Oscars. In other words, condense "awards season." As it is, groups start awarding things in November with their lists of "the best" and it doesn't stop until March. WGA is in April this year. Everyone wants their own slice of the awards pie. It's numbing for movie fans and awards recipients alike. I'll bet Da'VIne Joy Randolph was plenty happy that Oscar day rolled around, and she won everything.

I doubt every group that gives out awards would comply, but what about each guild giving out their awards in a "Hollywood Awards Week" with the Academy Awards the closing ceremonies?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The biggest reason the Oscars aren't as popular as they used to be is they aren't the only game in town anymore. It seems every group imaginable now has their own movie awards that are all accessible in one way or another to everyone on the planet. Not sure how you combat that.
And imo all those award shows are pretty much meaningless as the Oscar is the only one that matters.

I mean you don’t ever hear Critics Choice Award winner X passed away today. 🤪

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I'm thrilled about the Oscar nominations, especially because I'm a huge movie buff! "Oppenheimer" caught my attention, and I'm eager to see it. I love diving into different genres and exploring captivating storylines. It's inspiring to see the talent recognized at such prestigious awards. What are your favorite movies from this year?
My favorite among those nominated was The Holdovers, but I haven’t seen most of this year’s academy choices. I did see Oppenheimer, and was not surprised it cleaned up on awards night, but it’s not a film I would watch as often as Holdovers.
I was really pulling for Giamatti to win best actor, but it was not to be. 🙁

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks