What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Old-fashioned movie night (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Everyone in the house is sick (I'm at the tail end--the kids (2 and 6) and mother are in the thick of it) so I had to be nearby, especially for the little one. This meant no retreating to the HT room with the full audio/visual extravaganza. Rather, I spent the night (after the hockey game, of course) in front of my living room TV (a decent Sony 27" Grand Wega SD CRT) watching an old chestnut: Hitchcock's Suspicion. Brought back memories of late night movies well before I'd even imagined a home theatre. And I have to say I enjoyed the trip down memory lane. Sure, it wasn't a "cinematic" experience, but it was a movie experience--at least mostly. I've always liked the PQ of my Sonys (I have a 32" version in the HT--was my display until I got the projector last August; currently serves to help prop up the screen for the PJ), especially with SD DVD and Suspicion looked great. The trailer is there (unrestored) to compare and remind anyone of what late night classics USED to look like. So, apart from the dramatically improved PQ, it was a fun trip down memory lane and I may well repeat it every once in awhile--even if I don't have to (like last night).

Anyone else ever go down "memory lane"?

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Your idea of "memory lane" seems to be just a post about how pedestrian things are now that you have a HT with projector.

Dude, we're happy for you and hope you you enjoy it.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
That was not my intent at all. Rather, I was trying to point out that sometimes enthusiasts (obviously myself included) can get caught up in the gear and so on and sometimes forget that it really should be about the movies first. To that, I was simply adding that it had been a long time since I'd watched a classic late on a Saturday night (as I often did years ago when single and on cold nights where venturing out on a Montreal night was not so comfortable). It was not my intention to say "look how quaint ordinary TV has become" (and if that is how I came across, I apologize).

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
People have indeed become way too concerned with bells and whistles, as well as fancy home theater gear, rather than focusing primarily on enjoying the FILMS.

I love DVD and all, but sometimes I more fondly recall the old days of waiting for films on TV, and especially horror movies on Chiller Theater. And all of that was with commercials and the movies themselves being less than "pristine".

If this is what you mean.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Pretty much. TVO(ntario) and PBS (Plattsburgh) used to run Saturday night movies (maybe they still do--I don't check them out at that time anymore--maybe I should) without commercials and, mostly in winter, on nights where the weather wasn't promising, I (alone or with friends) would gather round the TV and watch a classic (sometimes even in OAR widescreen on TVO). TVO also had commentary accompanying the double feature (with PBS, the commentary seemed to happen on an irregular basis--it's been 20+ years, so I don't recall exactly). I enjoyed those nights and last night reminded me of those times. It was enjoyable enough that I plan to do it again without the original constraint of last night where I had to be on the main floor to more readily attend to my family.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks