What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

UHD Review Oliver! (Columbia Classics Collection Vol 2) UHD Review (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Oliver! is one of six movies included in Sony’s Columbia Classics 4K UHD Collection Volume 2.

Oliver! (1968)

Released: 27 Sep 1968
Rated: G
Runtime: 153 min

Director: Carol Reed
Genre: Drama, Family, Musical

Cast: Ron Moody, Shani Wallis, Oliver Reed, Harry Secombe
Writer(s): Lionel Bart (book), Vernon Harris (screenplay), Charles Dickens (freely adapted from "Oliver Twist" by)

Plot: After being sold to a mortician, young orphan Oliver Twist runs away and meets a group of boys trained to be pickpockets by an elderly mentor.

IMDB rating: 7.5
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Sony
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio: 2.40:1...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
A definite buy on Black Friday- that entire set that is.
Love Oliver - saw it as a boy. Even if he’s dubbed by a woman. Timeless.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Knowing this 4K version was now available, I revisited my Twilight Time Blu-ray of Oliver! this evening. I was struck mainly by a definite lack of bass in the sound mix and a slightly underwhelming aural experience (compared to say, Funny Girl, made in the same year and by the same studio though with different crews and personnel). I really do hope this new release steps up markedly from that somewhat lackluster audio presentation.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Maybe, but if it's anything like Set 1 it may be gone well before BF.
Well I purchased Set 1 many months after it was released on a Deal of The Day for like almost half price. Thanksgiving is like a little more than a month away and I don’t think the masses are clamoring for these dinosaur titles- so I’m gonna wait.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The HD digital that most retailers still have and have not upgraded to the new 4k are missing the overture.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Knowing this 4K version was now available, I revisited my Twilight Time Blu-ray of Oliver! this evening. I was struck mainly by a definite lack of bass in the sound mix and a slightly underwhelming aural experience (compared to say, Funny Girl, made in the same year and by the same studio though with different crews and personnel). I really do hope this new release steps up markedly from that somewhat lackluster audio presentation.
The sound design and fidelity was never good. It’s ironic that it received an Academy award for best sound.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well I purchased Set 1 many months after it was released on a Deal of The Day for like almost half price. Thanksgiving is like a little more than a month away and I don’t think the masses are clamoring for these dinosaur titles- so I’m gonna wait.

Yes there were some sets available as late as Nov on Amazon though lots of time between early July and late Sept and again early Oct to BF when it was sold out most everywhere. I don't think anyone else had any after July or maybe August -- at least until BBY found a boxful last month and sold them.

It's possible this set could follow the same pattern, but stock already appears more scarce at the same point of release week time than with Vol 1. There isn't the recall issue that hit LOA with Box 1 that caused quite a few people to cancel orders and the scalpers who saw what happened with Box 1 appear a lot more active judging from the listing on Ebay of the individual titles already

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
The sound design and fidelity was never good. It’s ironic that it received an Academy award for best sound.
Even in its first roadshow engagements? I thought it was shown in blow up 70 MM which would have had 6 track stereo and allowed Johnny Greens spectacular conducting to shine through like on WSS.

large.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
Even in its first roadshow engagements? I thought it was shown in blow up 70 MM which would have had 6 track stereo and allowed Johnny Greens spectacular conducting to shine through like on WSS.

large.jpeg

My memory of the 70 MM first run in Denver, at the now defunct Century 21 Theatre was that the sound was SPECTACULAR, immersive impressive and a big part of the thrill of the presentation. Perhaps memory is enhancing it but that theatre also played the Denver first run of BARRY LYNDON and again, a thrilling and rich kind of sonic experience. Both films and their presentation remain vivid, indelible and seminal in my moviegoing. Maybe Denver just got really lucky? The sound and music Oscars received by both films made perfect sense to me, based. on that experience.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Yes I remember the sound being spectacular as well but I was very young. I remember feeling that when the title credits started I was pinned to the back of the theater. I was like Whoa! I saw it in the suburbs but the theater had excellent stereo. Christmas '69.

Last edited:
Real Name
GaryWilliamWhitley
I

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
I was always impressed by Walter Scharf's work on Funny Girl so I'm surprised Johnny Green who knew his stuff(not only WSS but Bye Bye Birdie sounds terrific too) would allow the sound on Oliver! to be disappointing.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
Yes there were some sets available as late as Nov on Amazon though lots of time between early July and late Sept and again early Oct to BF when it was sold out most everywhere. I don't think anyone else had any after July or maybe August -- at least until BBY found a boxful last month and sold them.

It's possible this set could follow the same pattern, but stock already appears more scarce at the same point of release week time than with Vol 1. There isn't the recall issue that hit LOA with Box 1 that caused quite a few people to cancel orders and the scalpers who saw what happened with Box 1 appear a lot more active judging from the listing on Ebay of the individual titles already
On sale today at Amazon. Just ordered- good discount.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Back is stock at DD as well -- $94 with the 10% discount (DEEP10 or PLUNGE)
BN and a couple other ALLIANCE stores with current stock at wide ranging price points.

It seems there are quite a few folks with orders from before still awaiting shipping so not sure how long it will last this time.

Target seems to be in and out, but mostly out of stock since last Wed.
BBY -- $120 in stock (it's an 8 digit SKU so this may also be an ALLIANCE stock item and not directly BBY)
Bullmoose down to In-store only

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if this will be available to buy individually or is it a "set only" exclusive?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Does anyone know if this will be available to buy individually or is it a "set only" exclusive?
We don't know yet as I think only one title from the first volume was made available for individual purchase in Region A. There might have been other titles in other regions as 4K/UHD releases for the most part are region-free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brian13mt
Recent bookmarks