What's new

Opinions on Sony KDL-60EX500 60" LCD (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
My sister has a chance to get a pretty much unbeatable deal on one of these sets. (So good that I'm starting to wonder if Sony is about to discontinue this model and the dealer is clearing out his existing stock. ) So this isn't about whether she should buy it or whether another set would be better. There's no way she's going to get a comparable deal on a comparable TV. This is "the one."

It will be replacing a 32" SD CRT. My brother-in-law sees this as the first step toward something like a real home theater and the whole HD thing. My sister sees it as replacing an old TV with something bigger and easier to see from the couch.

Anyway, I have no experience with LCDs in this size or of this recent vintage and I want to know what to tell her to expect in the way of picture quality and if there are any special tweaks or tricks I should be aware of when it comes to this set. From what I've read it sounds like the 120 Hz mode can be turned off (which I told her to confirm with the dealer) - and that was a real issue in my mind.

The room it is going into is one of the worst imaginable for a home theater: 20 foot ceilings, open floor plan, loft space at the back of the room, tile floors, formica, stell and glass furniture, leather couch, and a wall full of windows and glass doors on one side. There is a single 5 x 3 rug under the coffee table.

They're getting quotes on coverings for the windows and the doors. less because of the light and sound issues they cause than because of the heat they let in. (They used to have a screen enclosure over their patio, but that was destroyed by the hurricanes a few years ago and was too expensive to replace. No one realized how much the mesh of the screens cut down on the sun until it was gone.) I'm trying to push for a bigger rug and some wall hangings to cut down on some of the echo. Turning this space into something like a home theater will be a real challenge and I expect to be posting more request for help in the coming months.

But for right now we need to get that TV in there and sell my sister on the virtues of a big screen and hi-def. Then we start work on sound and ambience. (Knowing her I think we're going to be stuck with a soundbar and a subwoofer, but we'll see.)

Would appreciate anything anyone can tell me about the Sony.

Regards,

Joe

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi

hands down best LCD panels that I have seen to date are the THX certified LG units. Fantastic black levels and very good viewing angles.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Unfortunately my sister isn't in a position to get a great deal on an LG, THX certified or otherwise, so she's going with the Sony. Anyone have any opinions on that?

Regards,

Joe

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Originally Posted by Joseph DeMartino

Unfortunately my sister isn't in a position to get a great deal on an LG, THX certified or otherwise, so she's going with the Sony. Anyone have any opinions on that?

Regards,

Joe

At it's price point that set is hard to beat. I generally prefer plasma over lcd for a home theater primarily because most lcds (especially Samsungs) look overly intense and overprocessed, not really capable of subtle fleshtones etc. This isn't really the case for the EX500. While not a Pioneer Kuro it's quite good for an lcd.

The 120hz framerate cannot be turned off. What can be turned off or adjusted in it's level of effect is the "Motionflow" frame interpolation processing. It's the latter that makes film look like video so she's good to go.

This set has plenty of light output when needed and a matte finish screen so it's a good choice when the room is brightly lit.

Overall I'd call it a quite competent display at a good price.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I'm getting the 60EX700 from Sony. While it is a fairly decent set, I will not be keeping it as I want something more. However, for the average consumer who is not as anal about home theater, it's a nice set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonStorm@HTF
Recent bookmarks