What's new
World Wide Stereo

Outlaw vs. "other good brands" (1 Viewer)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
This is a discussion-type thread...well, not that ALL threads aren't discussion...anyway, onto the thread.

Been checking out HT receivers lately online.

Went to Outlaw's site. I have never heard an Outlaw Pre-pro or amp, but the reviews seem good and enough of you guys use them.

I know Outlaw has a "lower end line" and then they have the "good stuff" such as the 950.

Using the 950 as our example ($800) for essentially an AM/FM tuner/signal processor, can you do better for the same money?

I know many things about equipment are subjective; i.e. the color. Some like black, others silver.

But I'm talking purely specifications here. Features, S/N ratio, freq response, preout voltages etc.

What about Outlaws' powered 5.1 receiver, the 1050 for $500? How does it compare to say, a Denon/Onkyo/Sony/Pioneer/Kenwood $500 receiver?

The Outlaw line seems to use some "non-mainstream" proprietary Dolby/DTS decoder chips. Are these as good as what comes in the brands mentioned above?

Discuss.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'm amazed that Outlaw has not released a balanced connection version of the 950.

Now for the subject at hand, I'd say the answer is no due to there not being any other product new that packs as much features for the price. If one doesn't mind used, only needs 5.1 (maybe SAF might not allow more speakers), and don't require component video switching (maybe the TV has enough) then it might be possible to find an older used model online that might be cheaper and outperforms it.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The Outlaw line seems to use some "non-mainstream" proprietary Dolby/DTS decoder chips. Are these as good as what comes in the brands mentioned above?
Yes, and more and more companies are using the same Cirrus logic chips that Outlaw uses.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Interesting responses.

I'm not well-versed in outboard amplification, but I've noticed at least with pro-sound oriented amps that they all have XLR-ins, and most don't have RCA-ins...makes it quite the PITA to use those amps with HT gear.

I'd consider the 950 fairly high-end...I too wondered why it didn't have XLR inputs. I've read several print reviews on high-end prepros (in the $2K range) and they all have XLR inputs AND RCA inputs. Makes you wonder.

I didn't know that the Cirrus decoders were that popular...nice piece of kit, the 950. Wish I could afford the whole thing! (950 + outboard amplification)

John-Tompkins

Second Unit
Using the 950 as our example ($800) for essentially an AM/FM tuner/signal processor, can you do better for the same money?
( No. at least not new.)

Well Michael I guess you got your difinitive answer, so no need for further discussion :)

IMO there any many choices out there. I personally like the feature set of the Yamaha rx-v2400. The auto setup mode and parametric room eq are excellant. It works great in my room. I also like the "surround enhanced mode" which can be overlaid on all sources. It gives the user many tweekable settings for the sides and rears such as liveness, additional delays, room width and lengths etc.

Pioneer, Denon, Rotel, Nad and Sony all offer good competition for the 950.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
The 950 uses geniune DTS/DD decoders as they display their logos,so they payed the licenssing fees.The decoding engine Cirrus Logic was a newcomer at that time,but since
Cirrus Logic became a large competition to Motorolla and Analog Devices the last couple of years,and being used by many High-End companies.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
looking for a pure pre, nothing competes with outlaw on a prce/feature basis...maybe the new NAD will...but I doubt it...

i wonder about the 1050, its very dated, i doubt they sell a lot of them anymore...

Robert, i dont think outlaw is going to have balanced connections anytime soon...none of their amps have it...and nothing in their price range or immediately above it, (adcom, rotel, outlaw cones) does...

Frank Zimkas

Supporting Actor
I'm not well-versed in outboard amplification, but I've noticed at least with pro-sound oriented amps that they all have XLR-ins, and most don't have RCA-ins...makes it quite the PITA to use those amps with HT gear.
XLR connections really aren't that important. If you plan on having the Amp a considerable distance from the pre-amp then xlr connections are a good idea. But for most configurations (stacked in a rack)the RCA jacks are a better choice.

Andy_A

Second Unit
I agree that outlaw will never put balanced connections on the 950, nor is it necessary. If they did put XLR on the 950, people would get confused and wonder why it was not on their amps and then their sales might suffer. I would look at some older pre/pros used. I just picked up a highly rated chiro c-800 thx pro logic processor at a great price. If you don't care about dts-es, dd-ex, and pro logic II, these type of units are great. Some, like the rotel and chiro have a db-25 connector that acts as a multi-channel input (with a handy adapter cable) so you can run an outboard dts/dd processor. I think this rivals the sound of many of the new pre/pros. Getting one of these for around $200 gave me some extra cash to introduce an outlaw ICBM into the mix. I'm running a dvd player with built in dvd-audio, sacd, dts, dd, so it sounds amazing. A great way to enjoy seperates on a budget...

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
If you don't care about dts-es, dd-ex, and pro logic II, these type of units are great. Some, like the rotel and chiro have a db-25 connector that acts as a multi-channel input (with a handy adapter cable) so you can run an outboard dts/dd processor. I think this rivals the sound of many of the new pre/pros. Getting one of these for around $200 gave me some extra cash to introduce an outlaw ICBM into the mix. I'm running a dvd player with built in dvd-audio, sacd, dts, dd, so it sounds amazing. A great way to enjoy seperates on a budget...
I think that kinda set up is much more complicated and the added cost of extra cables should be considered as well.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
I feel their are a number of options to consider in this price point. A number of receivers will compete and outperform the Outlaw pre/pro. Take a listen and decide.

Lewis,

Their are no licencing fees for Dolby. I am not sure about DTS.

Andy_A

Second Unit
Nothing could be more simple than that set up. The only "extra" cables needed are to the ICBM, a unit many (including myself) deem to be necessary with almost any receiver or pre/pro. I also should have clarified the db-25 adapter. It is actually simply a serial type cable that goes into 6 rca plugs. It is actually much more simple to hook up than 6 individual rcas.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Nothing could be more simple than that set up
The 950 is, and it's certainly don't need the ICBM,unless you wanna complicate things and add more cables.Also time aligment should follow BM and not vice versa,unless you're the few lucky one who could place their speakers equidistant from the listener then in that case you don't need to use TA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks