What's new
World Wide Stereo

Panasonic unveils combo Dolby Vision / HDR10+ UHD BD player (1 Viewer)

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1515296844

Put me down as interested for sure, I love Panny players. The main reason I have a 203 instead of a 900 is DV. @Robert_Zohn let us know if and when you will get the 820 in the states.

Panasonic DP-UB820/824 - specifications
High Quality Picture
Ultra HD Blu-ray Playback (4K/HDR)
HCX (Hollywood Cinema Experience) Processor for Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Supports HDR10+/ Dolby Vision dynamic metadata technology
4K High-Precision Chroma Processing
4K Direct Chroma Up-scaling
4K 60p/50p/4:4:4 Output
HDR Optimizer
FULL HD 3D Blu-ray Disc Playback
High Quality Sound
7.1ch Analogue Audio Output
TWIN HDMI PURE AV (Twin Isolated Output)
High Clarity Sound Premium
HDMI Low Clock Jitter Process
Digital Tube Sound with Up-sampling
High-resolution Audio Playback (DSD (11.2MHz/2.8MHz/5.6MHz), ALAC, FLAC, WAV, AIFF)
192kHz/96kHz Surround Re-master
Smart Features
Works with Voice Assistant (Naming Tentative)
4K VOD Supported (NETFLIX/ YouTube/ Amazon*2)
4K Networking (4K Video/ 4K Jpeg Playback)
Internet Apps*1
DLNA (Client/Renderer)
Network Drive Access
External HDD Playback
Mirroring with Smartphone / Tablet
Web Browser*1
Wireless LAN Built-in
Stylish GUI
Quick Start
Home Screen Wallpaper
Control by HDMI Connection
Panasonic DP-UB420/424
High Quality Picture
HCX (Hollywood Cinema Experience) Processor for Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
Supports HDR10+ dynamic metadata technology*1
HDR Optimizer
High Quality Sound
TWIN HDMI PURE AV (Twin Isolated Output)
High Clarity Sound Premium
Digital Tube Sound with Up-sampling
High-resolution Audio Playback (DSD (11.2MHz/2.8MHz/5.6MHz), ALAC, FLAC, WAV, AIFF)
192kHz/96kHz Surround Re-master
Smart Features
Works with Voice Assistant (Naming Tentative)
4K VOD Supported (NETFLIX/ YouTube/ Amazon*3)
4K Networking (4K Video/ 4K Jpeg Playback)
Internet Apps*2
DLNA (Client/Renderer)
Network Drive Access
External HDD Playback
Mirroring with Smartphone / Tablet
Web Browser*21
Wireless LAN Built-in
Stylish GUI
Quick Start
Home Screen Wallpaper
Panasonic DP-UB330/320
High Quality Picture
HCX(Hollywood Cinema Experience) Processor for Ultra HD Blu-ray Player
High Quality Sound
High-resolution Audio Playback (DSD (2.8MHz/5.6MHz), ALAC, FLAC, WAV, AIFF)
Internet Apps*3
DLNA (Client/Renderer)
Network Drive Access
External HDD Playback
Web Browser*3
Wireless LAN Built-in*1
Stylish GUI
Quick Start
Home Screen Wallpaper

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Nope. The main reason I don't have the UB900 anymore is no DV coming. Not that they will have one with DV, Ill def check it out. I've always liked Panny players.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Nope. The main reason I don't have the UB900 anymore is no DV coming. Not that they will have one with DV, Ill def check it out. I've always liked Panny players.
It's your money, but it seems like extra cost to me for a reason I can't justify for myself

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
It's your money, but it seems like extra cost to me for a reason I can't justify for myself

If I like it can sell the 203, so the cost isn't as much really. You also need to consider my screen name lol. I generally try several players every year, always have since about 2006. I like seeing how they perform, and what streaming abilities they have because I use Netflix and Amazon a lot. Even though I have an ATV4k now and LOVE it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If I like it can sell the 203, so the cost isn't as much really. You also need to consider my screen name lol. I generally try several players every year, always have since about 2006. I like seeing how they perform, and what streaming abilities they have because I use Netflix and Amazon a lot. Even though I have an ATV4k now and LOVE it.
Like I stated, it's your money.:thumbsup:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
One thing the 203 has over either Panasonic player, if it's a consideration, is cheap and easy region-free mods. Not available on the UB900 without a jailbreak firmware installation, and who knows what that situation will be with the new players. I love the UB900 (own it) but the Oppo (own it as well) is much more of a Swiss army knife, without HDR10+ of course.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would like to eventually upgrade my Sony X800 UHD player to one that supports Dolby Vision and move the Sony to our bedroom to replace a very old, slow Sony BD player, but the price needs to be right before I do this. I've had good luck with Panasonic BD and DVD players, so this announcement interests me. I am expecting the price to be higher than my budget (under $300) upon initial release, though.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I am curious as well to see the X800 replacement, and have a feeling sony will throw DV into their players, or at least one of them.

The issue is DV certification and licensing, surely going to add to cost, not sure how much thought. I guess it allows companies to charge more just because it says "Dolby Vision" on it. I would assume Sony won't touch HDR10+ though unless the studio comes out like Warner and Fox in support, but haven't yet.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sony's plan interest me, too, Jason. The advantage with another Sony would be SACD and DVD-Audio support. Having that in the X800 is a nice convenience, as it gives me another option for those formats if my old Oppo 980H DVD player ever dies. I have actually been using the Sony instead of the Oppo for those formats since buying the player -- the Oppo is now just used for whatever TV series on DVD we happen to be watching at the time, alleviating the need to swap discs.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I also like how Sony outputs streaming services at 24hz, where many devices only do 60hz.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I do not use the streaming apps on the Sony, so that feature doesn't matter in my case. I use either my Roku Ultra, or the apps on my Vizio display when the Roku acts flaky. The Sony doesn't have the NHL app, which I use a lot during the season.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I have a meeting with Panasonic execs at CES on Wednesday. I'll report back what I learn. We are factory direct authorized Panasonic dealers.

Awesome. Curious about two things, 820 pricing and will there be a 920... Well, three things, when your preorder will be live LOL.

Peter Yee

Premium
One thing the 203 has over either Panasonic player, if it's a consideration, is cheap and easy region-free mods. Not available on the UB900 without a jailbreak firmware installation, and who knows what that situation will be with the new players. I love the UB900 (own it) but the Oppo (own it as well) is much more of a Swiss army knife, without HDR10+ of course.
Do we know that the Oppo 203 won't get an a firmware upgrade that adds HDR10+ (much as Dolby Vision was added after release)? (Yes, I realize that my receiver (Denon X4300H) needs to pass HDR10+ and my display (a 2016 LG OLED) would need upgrades as well to handle HDR10+.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks