What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Warner’s decision to bring classic animated television holiday specials that were originally created for the small screens of the mid to late 1960s is an odd one. Granted, the Peanuts Holiday Collection contains three of the highest rated holiday specials in the history of television, but not a great deal is gained in the jump to 4K.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the review. I think I'll live with my older blu's of these wonderful shows.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I assume this uses the revisionist version of A Charlie Brown Christmas, with all references to the original sponsor the Coca Cola company missing from the opening and closing scenes ?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I don't get it. This one is definitely a cash grab. Aside from the lovely backgrounds in the early specials, there isn't much point to having a higher resolution image.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I only have the great pumpkin in blu ray. I've added these to my wish list.
Maybe I'll get to them at some point.

I really appreciate the review!!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I assume this uses the revisionist version of A Charlie Brown Christmas, with all references to the original sponsor the Coca Cola company missing from the opening and closing scenes ?

I don't think the original version with sponsors has ever been released on any format.

Here's the original opening for "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown".

It would be awesome if they could remaster and include the original opening for both of these specials.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It would not surprise me if the Coke version no longer exists in a transferable state at this point. The only copies out there are from bootleg 16mm prints (most in B&W!), and the footage was permanently excised by Melendez-Mendelssohn some 40+ years ago. Maybe there is a 35mm print out there but I ain't holding my breath.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't think the original version with sponsors has ever been released.

It would be awesome if they could remaster and include the original opening for both of these specials.

Thanks for linking that extra footage. That's priceless animation we've been missing all these years!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the review, Todd. I suspected that this set may not be worth upgrading, and your review confirms that suspicion. Unless this set drops to a really low price, I will just continue to enjoy the BDs during the holiday season.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the review, Todd. I suspected that this set may not be worth upgrading, and your review confirms that suspicion. Unless this set drops to a really low price, I will just continue to enjoy the BDs during the holiday season.
I watched them during their original broadcasts on CBS back in the day and these blu-rays look much better than what I viewed in 1965, 1966 and the years that followed in the 1970s.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I don't think the original version with sponsors has ever been released.

I was too young to remember the first run of the Peanuts Christmas and Halloween specials, but if I recall correctly, some of those Dolly Madison spots were still airing in the mid to late '70s. They were definitely airing DM commercials during the broadcasts, at any rate. I don't recall the Coca Cola ads, though.

CHEERS! :)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I was too young to remember the first run of the Peanuts Christmas and Halloween specials, but if I recall correctly, some of those Dolly Madison spots were still airing in the mid to late '70s. They were definitely airing DM commercials during the broadcasts, at any rate. I don't recall the Coca Cola ads, though.

I think Dolly Madison co-sponsored the later efforts after a Charlie Brown Christmas

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I watched them during their original broadcasts on CBS back in the day and these blu-rays look much better than what I viewed in 1965, 1966 and the years that followed in the 1970s.

I probably didn't start watching them on TV until the late '60's, but I wholeheartedly agree. The BDs look incredible compared to those broadcasts. We watch these every year around their respective holidays... it's a great trip down memory lane, along with the Grinch, Rudolph and Frosty animated BDs.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Obviously TV technology is much better than it was 40-50 years ago. Methinks a hi-def Blu-ray on a 60" 4K TV will fare better than an over-the-air broadcast on a 15" tube TV! :D

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Obviously TV technology is much better than it was 40-50 years ago. Methinks a hi-def Blu-ray on a 60" 4K TV will fare better than an over-the-air broadcast on a 15" tube TV! :D
I suspect the visual quality of the Coca Cola and Dolly Madison bumpers, as presented on the YouTube based clip, might still be better than the over the air counterpart that displayed on that 15" tube!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Digital bits posted a review of the set too.
It's on my wish list but it will be a while until I get to it.

I just watched the great pumpkin blu ray with my boys this past weekend.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I treated myself to the UHD release of this for a Christmas present to myself, and watched A Charlie Brown Christmas this afternoon. I was very curious about the widescreen versions of the specials. Esthetically, they weren't too bad (I didn't notice a lot of necessary needed information cropped out, and they appeared pretty natural in terms of framing), but close-ups of the characters showed some weird blocky anomalies with their mouths when speaking in the UHD widescreen versions which I had never noticed in the regular 4:3 Blu-rays. I'm sure I'll get used to it over time, and I haven't watched the 4:3 UHD versions yet of this or any of the others in this set. I'm giving myself other things to look forward to over the next couple of weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks