What's new
World Wide Stereo

Pictures of my DIY speakers (1 Viewer)

A

Anthony_Gomez

about time I get some pics of the "new" subs and "new" room treatments...and "new" room setup.......and new parts for a project:D

made a quick page with clickable images for higher resolution pics.

Enjoy!
http://beyond_gomer.tripod.com/newpictures.html

(BTW, the subs will be going up for sale soon ...in the proper forum. Why the hell would I sell them you ask? Simple...I have this "need to buy/get new gear" affliction. If you are interested, just shoot me an email)

EDIT: since tripod has this crappy bandwidth limit that I keep running into, here is an AOLHELL mirror. I did have to shrink the linked images a little to make the 2mb limit:frowning:
http://members.aol.com/auddz/newpictures1.html

A

Anthony_Gomez

Thanks Geno. the goodies are for a "budget" TM. budget relative to some other projects I'd like to tackle :D

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
How did you like the dual seperated subs?

EQ'd? Dual mono? I might try that with dual sealed soon.

Nice looking room!

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Equipment looks VERY nice and what a clean set-up in the room. Probably even gets approval from the woman of the house!! :D

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Very nice Anthony :emoji_thumbsup:

How big a difference did all your sound board treatments and corner bass traps make?

Nice clean set up, really nice on the sound absorbtion stuff, many people probley miss it, it blends so well!

Regards
Geoff

A

Anthony_Gomez

Thanks guys

Colin: Yup, dual EQ'd mono. I like the way they sound that way. I have some bad room interactions and this helps mellow it out a bit.

Andrew: I tried to route a tweeter hole into the woofer, but they didn't sound that good that way :D

Mike: Luckily, I have full rain on this room (she says so:D )...but she likes how I have it set up.

Geoff/Hank: My room was really reflective. Even the floor has that crappy 1/4" pile carpet with no padding (like in schools)....damn school apartment :D ...so I had to do what I could. The treatments are at the first reflection point (even the ceiling and rear wall ...which is not in the pics). They are not as effective as Chris Tsutsui's J.R. traps, but they are also not as ...HUGE:D. They help quite a bit from where I started. Now I need to get the full wall, heavy curtain up ;) As for the bass trap, I have a nasty 60hz peak (confirmed on the RRC). The traps don't bring the peak down too much(that's what the BFD is for), but they do help a bit with the 60hz ringing.

Cam S

Screenwriter
WOW, I LOVE those subs Anthony, VERY nice looking, especially with the EGO's on top in matching wood. Do the Sub drown out the EGO's at all? They seem pretty small, but then again, the drivers are top notch.

A

Anthony_Gomez

thanks, ...and nope....not when I have them calibrated properly :) I don't crank on the system, so the levels work just fine. nice and clean:D

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i have to say i am in love with that amazing finish on those, talk about class. :emoji_thumbsup:

when i convince my dad to convert a section of our bare basment to a HT, i will go all out with dampening, i didn't even notice yours untill some one mentioned them, very nice again :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Jon Hancock

Stunt Coordinator
Nice job on the cabinets, Anthony! And kudos for the room treatment work- this is unfortunately something a lot of folks ignore, much to the limitation of their system performance. Room acoustics and speaker placement are so critical....

Happy listening!

Best regards,

Jon

Geno

Supporting Actor
Just noticed you sold your two big babbies! We cant wait to find out what you will replace them with!!!

let us know PLEASE

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
My guess is that his new sub will be a single 23-23" box tumult to go with the new mains he's working on.

The Egos are more revealing and up-front than GR-Research AVs but not as natural sounding. His room isn't too overdamped but it does decrease the ambient noise and the sound stage is superb.

He might have the new mains up and running next week so I'll get to hear them and post a review. I won't spoil it, but I will tell you there's more than $800 going into them. :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Chris,

You shouldn't even have to guess what his new sub will be! The new mains should be pretty awesome too from what Tony's told me.

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
I hope the wood blocks on top of the speakers are there only because your wife likes the way wood blocks look. :)

A

Anthony_Gomez

Chris, sub will be a bit larger than a 23" cube after the 3/4" "laminate". The mains even after the enclosures and finishing will be a fair bit less than 800 :)

It was nice to find a local place that has 3/4" 11-ply BB for only $22/sheet!!!

Dan, those were not wood blocks :D They are actually 26lb lead bricks (2x4x8). With heavy bass scenes, the EGO's would move around...even with the deceptively heavy enclosures and rubber feet!!

been in the wood shop all day and made a bit of progress. Will they be ready in the raw by this week..who knows :)

I'll keep you up to date.

BTW,....a Honda Accord can hold more than:
2 sheets of MDF, 2 sheets of BB, and 14BF of walnut :D

A

Anthony_Gomez

Well, it is 9:22, and all is well. The mains are all glued up and waiting to be trimmed and routed tomorrow. They are 10x14.5x19. 3/4" MDF all around. 5/8" BB also on the baffle (The place was out ot 3/4"BB). 2 vertical braces also out of BBand 2 other horizontal BB braces on the rear wall coupling to an inner vertical brace.

The sub enclosure just has the inner layer done. It is also 5/8" BB. 3/4" MDF will skin over. I will probably throw in a few stiffening braces on the rear and bottom. The top will have some joined walnut on top, so I don't worry about that.

I don't think they will be "finished" for another 1-2 weeks, but they will be functional this week (if I can finish the stands tomorrow as well.

Sorry, no construction photos...don't have a digital camera...yet. But there will be finished photos :D..maybe even naked speaker photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks