What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pinball Arcade is losing rights to Bally and Williams tables (1 Viewer)

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The only “life” FarSight has displayed lately is providing the pinball software for Toyshock’s virtual Pinball table (available at WalMart on-line for $400.). These are all simulations of Gottlieb tables already emulated for their Pinball Arcade. Each virtual machine comes with 12 different Gottlieb tables.
As for the actual “Pinball Arcade” — In spite of the fact they keep saying in interviews that it’s not abandoned, it’s been 18 months since their last new table release.

Zen, meanwhile, is partnering with “Arcade1Up” to provide virtual pinball tables running Williams/Bally emulations. These virtual pinball tables are expected to be priced around $650 and feature authentic haptic feedback and nudge support. They were originally targeting the end of August for these tables, but with “Arcade1Up” now facing supply chain shortages due to the pandemic, it’s anybody’s guess as to when — if ever — these mass produced virtual pinball machines will be available.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I discovered with a bit of sadness recently that my Pinball Arcade collection will never be complete. AC/DC was quietly delisted a few months ago before I was able to buy it.

I bought the first 7 seasons in one expensive go on my PS4 right before the delisting, so didn't rush out to get the five Stern tables that came afterwards. Hopefully Star Trek, Mustang, Big Buck Hunter, and Whoa Nellie are still available.

At least AC/DC is on the Stern Pinball Arcade disc.

Edit: Just bought Big Buck Hunter and Whoa Nellie in a double pack for $15. Since I'm already missing AC/DC, no sense double dipping by buying Mustang and Star Trek in TPA when they're also on the Stern Pinball Arcade disc.

Last edited:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Way to go Zen Studios, great to know that the classic tables from Williams are in good hands and being released monthly...I mean annually,..I mea, wait why did Zen Aquire the license from Williams again?
:confused:

Zen Studios, where classic pinball emulation goes to die.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You know who actually owns the Williams/Bally table ips? AT&T

You know whose going through a major restructuring and shakeup right now? AT&T

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm just happy that I bought all those tables on Pinball Arcade when they were available. They're locked into playstation infrastructure, but I can play them on my PS4 and I think 5 though I haven't tried it.

That said, those digital pinball machines are super tempting though I have no idea if you can legally load all the tables onto them. I've not looked into it.

I never jumped to Zen. I just don't like the feel of the tables on there compared to Pinball Arcade. I find Zen easier to play so I presume there's a gimmick to making them easier haha.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I'm just happy that I bought all those tables on Pinball Arcade when they were available. They're locked into playstation infrastructure, but I can play them on my PS4 and I think 5 though I haven't tried it.

That said, those digital pinball machines are super tempting though I have no idea if you can legally load all the tables onto them. I've not looked into it.

I never jumped to Zen. I just don't like the feel of the tables on there compared to Pinball Arcade. I find Zen easier to play so I presume there's a gimmick to making them easier haha.
Yeah I guess I'm just thankful I still have all access to the tables from Farsight which I play regularly. Zen Studios has handled these as a complete joke for three years. I guess why would they change now? And I knew from day one they wouldn't pay for the licensing for some of the most popular tables (Addams Family, Star Trek TNG, and Bram Stoker's Dracula etc.) given their cocky response in an interview about them.

And for those thinking the ball physics is great on the Zen tables? No.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
While I'm one of the absolute freaking weirdos who likes the brutal ball physics in the Zen games (they better match my personal experience with these tables) and the nicer-looking assets, Farsight certainly looks a lot better in hindsight. They drove me CRAZY with some of their bugs and their confusing pricing system but it's obvious they were a small, passionate team working with limited resources. And they made the tables happen. I'm still in awe they were able to traverse multiple legal avenues to get T2 released with all the Arnie assets and sound effects, for example.

Zen's latest release is on Apple Arcade, and it's a rehash of already released tables and some more imaginary tables for properties I don't care about.

I feel badly for people who couldn't get a chance to purchase the Farsight tables that are no longer available. I play them regularly.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I don't want to seem judgmental of those that like the Zen Studios tables. Definitely not my intention. I think it is awesome that people like digital pinball in any form. I just prefer the Farsight tables much more. It is digital pinball after all, and not the real thing. No emulation will be like real pinball which will always be the best option if available to play imo.

Of course I'm upset that Pinball Arcade seemingly ended with their loss of the Williams tables. And I would have thought they would have put their efforts completely in to the remaining Stern, and Gottleib tables as there were so many great tables left to be released. But nothing materialized, and that was extremely disappointing so of course that was another blow.

When it comes to digital pinball there is no right, or wrong just personal choice of which you prefer.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I know it's only the first day of the month, but it always feels good to be #1. Even if for only a day or two.:)
IMG_5766.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ciuycjsgfvbn
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale