What's new
World Wide Stereo

Pioneer VSX-908RDS-G expertise wanted (1 Viewer)

Wouter Bovelander

Auditioning
Real Name
Wouter Bovelander
Hi,

I have an 18 year old VSX-908RDS-G which I want to connect to my PC, the ultimate goal being able to connect my SpeedLink Medusa 5.1 surround headset to the amplifier. I've managed to connect everything, but I only get sound through the Front Left and Front Right channels. I would like to find out if the solution I've thought of actually has a chance of working. It's this amplifier's last chance at a useful life and I really want to make it work.

I've connected my PC's outputs (3 x 3,5mm jack connectors for Front Left/Front Right, Side Left/Side Right, Center/SubWoofer) to the amplifier's External Decoder In inputs. Naturally I've used converters to convert the three 3,5mm jacks to six RCA plugs.

Next, I've connected my SpeedLink Medusa's three inputs (FL/FR, SL/SR, C/SW) to the PreOut outputs of the amplifier, again using RCA to 3,5mm jack converters.

When I set the amplifier's input selector to the External Decoder, I only get output on the FL/FR speakers and on none of the others.

Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? Is the External Decoder In actually looped through to the PreOut outputs? Is there perhaps a setting I should change in the amplifier?

Thanks!
Wouter

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The operating instruction manual doesn't say anything specific about this particular problem I'm having.
I would agree. Furthermore, there’s little chance that the Pioneer could be the problem, as it is merely passing out the signal that is coming in. Therefore the problem must with your program source (e.g. it’s only 2-channel), your PC’s sound card, or the Medusa.

Really, I don’t know what the purpose of the Pioneer is anyway, when the Medusa headset can be plugged directly into the computer and has its own volume etc. controls. Have you tried that?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wouter Bovelander

Auditioning
Real Name
Wouter Bovelander
I would agree. Furthermore, there’s little chance that the Pioneer could be the problem, as it is merely passing out the signal that is coming in. Therefore the problem must with your program source (e.g. it’s only 2-channel), your PC’s sound card, or the Medusa.

Really, I don’t know what the purpose of the Pioneer is anyway, when the Medusa headset can be plugged directly into the computer and has its own volume etc. controls. Have you tried that?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Honestly I think the Pioneer is causing the problem, mainly because the PC is generating 5.1 sound without a problem and has been working very well with the Medusa for a long time. It's been the way I've been enjoying 5.1 sound on my head set for years.

The reason why I'm using the Pioneer now however is that I have no PC speakers at the moment and I would like to use speakers in combination with my Medusa. I've not been able to find a speaker set that allows me to connect a 5.1 head set as well. This Pioneer has been sitting around my house doing nothing for a while and I figured I could give it a second life. It's a great piece of kit.

Regarding my program source, I'm using the Windows built in 5.1 configuration tool which allow me to test each channel individually so I'm sure I'm producing 5.1 sound. Apparently the Pioneer has some setup options that I haven't looked at yet, so hopefully that will help me.

Hopefully someone with intimate knowledge of the Pioneer and its setup will be able to tell me how to set it up.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Based on looking at the Google images of the headset, I see it uses 1/8" stereo plugs for connectors. Why not get a splitter for your main left/right channel output and send that from your sound card to both your Pioneer receiver and your headphones. Your headphones will still work in 5.1 and your Pioneer will get the left and right channels from your sound card.

Wouter Bovelander

Auditioning
Real Name
Wouter Bovelander
Based on looking at the Google images of the headset, I see it uses 1/8" stereo plugs for connectors. Why not get a splitter for your main left/right channel output and send that from your sound card to both your Pioneer receiver and your headphones. Your headphones will still work in 5.1 and your Pioneer will get the left and right channels from your sound card.

That's a smart idea actually. I probably have the splitters to do that. That will help in the head set department. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks