What's new

Place your bets on winner of Amazon's HQ2 (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Amazon has an RFP out for cities to bid for becoming the site of a second HQ, called "HQ2". Cities across the US and Canada are putting together "incentive" packages in their bids to woo Amazon. Amazon wants to branch out from congested and expensive Seattle. I have to laugh when places like LA and NYC make bids since they are even more congested and expensive than Seattle.

So what city would you bet will land the HQ2?

My bet: Louisville, Kentucky. The metro population is 1.2 million. Louisville's international airport SDF is the worldwide UPS hub, and UPS is Amazon's largest shipping partner by far. Amazon will need to work hand-in-glove with its shippers as it invents new delivery options: pickup lockers, drones, and options yet to be determined. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon just buys out UPS in the near future.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
As much as Washington State is trying to get HQ2 here too, its not going to happen. I bet somewhere in the Eastern time zone.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Interesting game.

MashUp of the top 20-25 commonly floated sites.

NYC, SF, San Jose, LA, Chicago, Wash/Balt, Boston, Philly -- all have many of the same issues as Seattle.
Vancouver -- lots of good, but too close to Seattle, Cost of Living is pretty high, and in Canada which legally complicates
**Toronto -- even more to offer, but in Canada
*Detroit -- lots to offer and in rebuilding mode instead of collapse mode. I think could be underrated contender
**Dallas
Houston
Minneapolis/St Paul
Austin -- pretty good social fit, but already having so many growing pains
**Denver -- seems almost perfect except for proximity to West Coast
**Atlanta -- horrendous traffic issues, mediocre mass transit on a good day, could Amazon handle the extremely social conservative nature
Charlotte or better Raleigh Durham Triangle
Jacksonville

Bezos has connection to the Wash/Balt area -- owns a new house, Wash Post

I guessing the final 5 -- not in order
Detroit
Atlanta
Dallas
Denver
Minn/St Paul
Toronto -- I'll throw this in as a long shot Bonus International

Denver -- my winner.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m kinda betting against NoVA, where I live, because I worry it would wreck the housing market even worse than it is.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would expect something near the east coast or southeast to balance the other HQ in the northwest. Probably Atlanta, Raleigh, or Miami.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I read some speculation that most of the cities on the list are just filler and that Amazon has already narrowed their choices down to 1 or 2 cities and is just using the others as leverage to try and get the best deal possible. I tend to believe that because no corporation in their right mind would build such a facility in California or New York.

-Keith

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Why all the year-long drama?

To gin up fake competition amongst the political leaderships of the various areas who wanted to be in contention...and thusly driving up the sweetheart deals (on tax exemptions, etc.) offered by the competitors.

So they picked NYC and DC.

Makes that outcome all the more predictable now, right?
rolleye0010.gif

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Rather pointless. I thought maybe they would try and help revitalize a struggling area, like maybe Detroit or somewhere in Ohio. I guess not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks