What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Prometheus 3D Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
The characters in ALIENS were realistic? Really? I thought they were pretty much comic book/action movie characters
When evaluating the realism of characters in Aliens vs Prometheus I believe that certain allowances for the tone of the film have to be taken into consideration. Aliens does play out like an action film to a large degree so yes the characters are oriented in that direction. For what its worth, Hudson and Hicks are much more realistic in their milieu when compared to a biologist whose first instinct when confronting a serpentine alien life form is to go all "Hey buddy" and treat it like a pet. IMHO, of course.
- Walter.

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I'm listening to Damon Lindelof's commentary now, and he actually addresses that very thing. The short of it: it's not smart, but a deleted scene explains that he's literally just like that, evidently. Sometimes he just goes all "Science!" and can't help himself.
Is it a good explanation? Not really. But it's better than the no explanation the movie gives us.

CRSearle

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles Searle
MattH. said:
I can imagine this would have been impressive in IMAX. It didn't make much of an mpression on me at home. Just a lot of dirt flying across the screen and none of it outward.
I saw the movie theatrically in both IMAX 3D and Real 3D, and, for my tastes, the IMAX 3D trounced the Real 3D in terms of what 3D can do for visual depth and immersion. Assuming the BD's 3D presentation is somewhat mimicking the Real 3D experience, I could see it being underwhelming. Nice Review!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Otherwise known as playing idiot ball.

For what its worth, Hudson and Hicks are much more realistic in their milieu when compared to a biologist whose first instinct when confronting a serpentine alien life form is to go all "Hey buddy" and treat it like a pet. IMHO, of course.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
The point is, in 25 years, people will still get off on "game over man!" "game over!" or "get away from her you bitch!"

I doubt anyone can remember any line from Prometheus characters, right here, right now. Let alone in 25 years.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I agree, but part of me would like to see "Hey buddy!" rise to the level of a "I'll be right back!" or a "Is anyone there?" trope.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
HDvision said:
The point is, in 25 years, people will still get off on "game over man!" "game over!" or "get away from her you bitch!"
I doubt anyone can remember any line from Prometheus characters, right here, right now. Let alone in 25 years.
true but I don't think it's that Jane of movie.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
HDvision said:
true but I don't think it's that kind of movie.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
No doubt. One of the more quotable films around. A good work friend and I use to continually quote Aliens when the dialog correlated to certain events at work.
When the direction was unclear - "Well why don't you put her in charge?"
When complaining about bureaucratic paper work - "All this, this bullshit you think is so important; you can kiss all that goodbye!"
When silly proclamations were made - "I feel safer already."
And so on with hilarity always ensuing. :)
- Walter.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
MattAlbie60 said:
I'm listening to Damon Lindelof's commentary now, and he actually addresses that very thing. The short of it: it's not smart, but a deleted scene explains that he's literally just like that, evidently. Sometimes he just goes all "Science!" and can't help himself.
Is it a good explanation? Not really. But it's better than the no explanation the movie gives us.
Like you say, it's not a satisfactory explanation and the character's actions must stand up to scrutiny without a commentary. His actions need to make sense based on how the audience understands the character. His actions don't meet that test, IMHO.
HDvision said:
I agree. Even though I've bought the 3D set and look forward to watching it, I doubt this movie has the staying power of Alien or Aliens.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Cameron Yee said:
I agree, but part of me would like to see "Hey buddy!" rise to the level of a "I'll be right back!" or a "Is anyone there?" trope.
Well, that scene would've worked better had they left a prior scene in when the biologist finds an earlier form of those creatures (it's in deleted scenes).

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
I think there is a difference between characters seeming like "real people", and every line of dialog being "realistic". Watching Prometheus, it seemed to me as if the actors didn't have as clear a picture of who their characters are, and why they do what they do, as the actors in Alien and Aliens did. Maybe that is by design, to open up more story later on, but it was not as satisfying to me as in the earlier films.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Despite the huge separate display rack of Prometheus at my local Best Buy, and dominant placement on the front of the racks...myself and 3 other dudes waited for the doors to open all ended up buying...E.T. :D OK, one guy had both.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I got my copy from Best Buy today, unfortunately the digital copy code isn't working.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The digital copy code for iTunes is a code that you enter into the Digital Copy app that is on the DVD/Digital copy disc. This app then displays a new code that you can enter into iTunes. The original digital copy code works for UltraViolet unmodified.

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Kevin EK said:
The documentary and the commentary by Ridley Scott don't address some significant questions, and the lack of that discussion speaks volumes.
It's ALL in the writer's commentary. Having just finished it, they explain just about everything in great detail. It's kind of surprising given how closed off they were around the time of release.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
To all the folks quoting lines from ALIENS as proof that PROMETHEUS isn't good or something, I ask- how many lines are frequently quoted from the original ALIEN ?
Vincent

MattAlbie60

Real Name
Stephen Lilley
I use "This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off" for the occasional voicemail or e-mail closer. I bounce back and forth between that and "Your friend in time," in e-mails.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonStorm@HTF
Recent bookmarks