What's new
World Wide Stereo

PS3 or Sony S550--audio gratification now or later (1 Viewer)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Just curious as to what others here would do. I have a non-HDMI receiver that I have no plans to replace for, at the very least, three (I hope five) years. As such, to fully benefit from the advanced audio codecs, I require a player that decodes them all internally and then sends them out via a MCH analogue interface. I was holding out for the BD50 or the S550 in that regard but the MSRP on the BD50 is more than I'm willing to spend (actually, the discounted price it will likely fetch) and if the Sony, owing to a variety of factors, of course, comes in higher than its announced MSRP, then it too will be more than I'm willing to spend. In that case, I will likely fall back to my back up option--a PS3. I have no other complaints about the PS3 except for the lack of MCH analogue output, so if the S550 is over my price point, the PS3 is my next option (except to wait another 6-12 months for a player that does it all at a price I want to pay).

So, who would sacrifice the advanced audio for a minimum of three years and go with the PS3? Who would spend the extra on the S550, no matter if it is as much as the BD50? Who would simply wait?

I will say this about not having the advanced audio codecs--at the moment, my HDM experience has been via my A2. As it does NOT have MCH analogue output, I'm "getting by" with toslink and its limitations--with no complaints so far (though I have not had a chance to hear the advanced codecs in their full glory). If the sonic experience of the PS3 via toslink is equivalent to the A2, I may be more inclined to take the hit on the audio.

Thoughts?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I hope to see some nice deals around Christmas for the Sony 550. I own the Sony 300, and it suits my needs for now. Like you, i dont plan on a receiver upgrade within the next few years. I will take a hit on audio for now. Cant do it all at once! :)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I agree with Rick. I'm in a similar situation. I'm not willing to upgrade both my receiver [currently no HDMI] and purchase a Blu-Ray player all in one hit. My projector already upconverts my DVD's to a decent looking 720P. Like you, I haven't heard the new lossless audio codecs, and so I can live without them at least for a while. I'll just have to wait until all of this fun is available at a price I consider reasonable.

John

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I had non-HDMI receiver (Yamaha) for quite a while, which I recently replaced to HDMI 1.3-receiver (also Yamaha, v1800). Certain problems "solved".

If you only want HDMI-receiver (1.1/1.2), they´re quite cheap at the moment. So personally I would upgrade the receiver, rather than focusing on these "player has to have analog-out" problems). Like I said, the HDMI-receiver doesn´t have to be "1.3" (1.1/1.2 are cheaper).

This is obviously IMO. ;)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

I understand what you're saying, but I want my next receiver to last a long time, so it will be HDMI 1.3 [like yours]. I have had my RX V2500 for less than 2 years and now I need to upgrade. Also, I think Blu Ray players will get much cheaper, perhaps after Christmas. For now, I'm satisfied with my current setup. OK, not totally satisfied, but enough where I "think" I can hold out for awhile. :D

John

wally

Second Unit
Hi Paul,

I was in a similar situation at the start of the year. I’ve got a decent mid-range system in our basement (55’ Sony, Denon, and Klipsch 7.1). Original plan was to wait for a good BluRay player with analog outs so I could keep the Denon that I’m very happy with. My DVD purchasing had pretty much gone into hibernation, with must have titles, I hated not being able to spring for the Blu-Ray. I just didn’t feel comfortable jumping into BR with the spec still not set. The ease of upgrading firmware on the PS3 sounded very easy, so, I decided to jump on the 40 GB with plans to move it upstairs when we upgrade that room to HDTV in a year or so and purchase a dedicated BluRay player with analog outs.

To be honest, I’m so happy with the PS3, those plans are completely out the window. The picture is outstanding (both BR and SDVD), wireless upgrading is a snap, love the media hub aspect and can stream music, video, and pictures from the laptop in my office upstairs. I’ve even gotten into some light gaming! From my experience, the PS3 is a no brainer. I hope to be able to upgrade to an HDMI receiver by the end of the year so I can immerse myself in full 7.1 HD audio/video goodness!

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
A couple of my buddies have one--maybe I can convince one of them to lend it to me for a weekend. If I can live with the lossy audio without complaint, I may simply go with the PS3 and forego the advanced audio for now (it's not like it will sound like crap). Moreover, an upgraded receiver down the line will allow me to benefit from advanced audio from my HD DVDs (most of them, at any rate). The more I think about it, the more the PS3 becomes attractive (though I will wait to see what the MSRP for the S550 will be--at 100$ or under as a premium over the PS3, it will be worth getting to keep the receiver going longer).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks