What's new

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
Did Arbogast originally scream on the third stab before the fade out...or on the first?
It's clearly the first stab because the Turbine disc is the one that was from the uncut german tv version and in that one he screams on stab one. Universal messed up the audio.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If Universal would just explain the issue it would help solve the questions. I don't know what to believe.

Why was it cut after the original release? For TV? Thousands of movies must have been cut for TV at that time. And somehow the "cut version" of a movie as famous as Psycho became the only version for decades? It also became the version that was re-released in theaters? I'm not saying I don't believe you. I said it's difficult to believe.
I don’t see any reason why Universal has to explain anything at this late date. Each of us will believe whatever we want to believe.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
So if the “uncut” version restores the previously trimmed footage, I went through the rigamarole of having the discs replaced due to the audio mix issue. I actually received two replacements, one with loose discs in a plain envelope, the other secured in a black case. (Haven’t watched this yet, have watched Rear Window and The Birds.) Are both the surround and mono mixes STILL incorrect re the Martin Balsam stairway scene then? If so, this is incredible.

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I guess they don't "have to" but it would be nice since they are selling the movie.
Ha. Nice. Once again, people thinking huge conglomerates owe them individual attention. And sorry, big companies are not going to admit to "mistakes" unless it a mistake of such magnitude that lives are at stake, a true pressing screw up that renders the film unviewable or something that would cause the stock to tumble. It may even become a legal issue and trigger lots of "stuff" that we can't even imagine. The 100 people or so on this forum who actually care what # stab that Arbogast screams in, is not going to force Universal to reconsider and repress, repackage, remarket a new improved version. They are not going to refund people for purchasing this version.

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
I didn't say they owed me anything and I didn't ask nor do I want a refund. I just want to know when and why the movie was cut:)

AlexNH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex Koutroubas
So if the “uncut” version restores the previously trimmed footage, I went through the rigamarole of having the discs replaced due to the audio mix issue. I actually received two replacements, one with loose discs in a plain envelope, the other secured in a black case. (Haven’t watched this yet, have watched Rear Window and The Birds.) Are both the surround and mono mixes STILL incorrect re the Martin Balsam stairway scene then? If so, this is incredible.
This is a post from a German company called Turbine Media that makes box sets and Blu-Rays in another forum:

"The Universal BD / UHD is based on a new scan of the original materials plus the uncut parts coming from our 4K scan made for our BD ("2K") release of the film. Unfortunately, and this is beyond our control, the audio editing wasn't spot on so the death of Arbogast is off on all uncut releases except ours.
icon_sad.gif
"

So you can get the turbine version if you want the scream correct but it is BD only not 4k.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
This is a post from a German company called Turbine Media that makes box sets and Blu-Rays in another forum:

"The Universal BD / UHD is based on a new scan of the original materials plus the uncut parts coming from our 4K scan made for our BD ("2K") release of the film. Unfortunately, and this is beyond our control, the audio editing wasn't spot on so the death of Arbogast is off on all uncut releases except ours.
icon_sad.gif
"

So you can get the turbine version if you want the scream correct but it is BD only not 4k.
and it doesnt seem to be available apart from a box set of all the films and presently 48 UK pounds on Amazon.uk. Dilemma time. 4k w an audio error or blu ray w the correct cut?

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
The need to curate the specifics of the film releases is exacting, so I get it that mistakes can get reproduced and compounded over the years or decades even. I would hope Universal will correct any future releases of Psycho for posterity’s sake, but realize that ship has sailed for this particular version.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
We've had this discussion before, and I know this probably won't convince anyone any more than it did then, but here is some info from the AFI about the movie:

https://catalog.afi.com/Catalog/moviedetails/53260

The relevant paragraph:
------
The Hitchcock papers reveal that the National Catholic Legion of Decency demanded three cuts before giving the picture a “B,” or “morally objectionable in part for all” rating. The Legion required that scenes of Marion removing her bra be deleted, that the shots showing Norman washing his hands of blood be shortened and that the number of times Arbogast is stabbed be reduced from four to two. Psycho was eventually issued the “B” rating by the Legion, which announced: “The sensational use of sex and the excessive violence, which partially mar the development of the story, are considered to be entirely lacking in dramatic justification and to be highly objectionable.”
------

Since the film was given a "B" rating, this suggests to me that the US theatrical release was in fact the standard version that we've seen all these decades. The speculation I've heard and tend to agree with is that materials for the film may have already gone out for international dubbing, and the slightly longer version may have been released in some countries.

I wasn't there, so I can't say anything for certain. And yes, Truffaut's book contained a still from one of the censored shots, so it was apparently out there in some form. Maybe the uncut version played in France as well as in Germany.

But I just can't see Universal suddenly deciding to acquiesce to the Legion of Decency years after the film had already been out, and after things like ROSEMARY'S BABY had been released. (All the while advertising it as "uncut.")

And the idea that this was a TV cut is absurd. There is no way PSYCHO would have played on broadcast TV in the 1960s with only those three cuts. Indeed, according to that AFI info page, the New York Times reported that nine minutes of the film had been cut for the intended network debut on CBS in 1966, which of course never happened.

So, that's where I'm still at. :)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
We've had this discussion before, and I know this probably won't convince anyone any more than it did then, but here is some info from the AFI about the movie:

The relevant paragraph:
------
The Hitchcock papers reveal that the National Catholic Legion of Decency demanded three cuts before giving the picture a “B,” or “morally objectionable in part for all” rating. The Legion required that scenes of Marion removing her bra be deleted, that the shots showing Norman washing his hands of blood be shortened and that the number of times Arbogast is stabbed be reduced from four to two. Psycho was eventually issued the “B” rating by the Legion, which announced: “The sensational use of sex and the excessive violence, which partially mar the development of the story, are considered to be entirely lacking in dramatic justification and to be highly objectionable.”
------

Since the film was given a "B" rating, this suggests to me that the US theatrical release was in fact the standard version that we've seen all these decades. The speculation I've heard and tend to agree with is that materials for the film may have already gone out for international dubbing, and the slightly longer version may have been released in some countries.

I wasn't there, so I can't say anything for certain. And yes, Truffaut's book contained a still from one of the censored shots, so it was apparently out there in some form. Maybe the uncut version played in France as well as in Germany.

But I just can't see Universal suddenly deciding to acquiesce to the Legion of Decency years after the film had already been out, and after things like ROSEMARY'S BABY had been released. (All the while advertising it as "uncut.")

And the idea that this was a TV cut is absurd. There is no way PSYCHO would have played on broadcast TV in the 1960s with only those three cuts. Indeed, according to that AFI info page, the New York Times reported that nine minutes of the film had been cut for the intended network debut on CBS in 1966, which of course never happened.

We've all told you repeatedly that the AFI is incorrect, as they often are. And I WAS there, so...

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
We've all told you repeatedly that the AFI is incorrect, as they often are. And I WAS there, so...

I know, and it's obvious we're not going to convince each other. :)

I'm not saying the American Film Institute is infallible, but what else specifically have they been incorrect on?

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Yes, I am absolutely certain that I and thousands of other audience members were not mysteriously treated to the German or French versions of PSYCHO in Cincinnati, Ohio and later in and around Los Angeles, California for the 6-7 times I saw it in their theaters from 1960 to 1964 or so.

By the time my friends and I were re-seeing it in local revival theaters in the early 1970s it was obvious something of the intended "lurid" element of the peephole scene was missing (and that memorable audience-wide gasp of frustration and giggle at ourselves when Hitch cut away from the full breast exposure within frames!) even if we could not rewind a home video of it, go back to check and figure out why. The impact of the shower scene was diminished as well due to that "strip tease" moment having been watered down.

And I reject the idea that it was because we had grown inured to the tease by then. We hadn't grown inured to it for the 7th viewing just a few years earlier even when we knew all about the shower scene that followed. Why would it suddenly happen on the 8th viewing?

I know it was because the shot or shots that Hitch put there to produce that audience response were removed from the version we were seeing by then.

Last edited:

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
If Universal would just explain the issue it would help solve the questions. I don't know what to believe.

Why was it cut after the original release? For TV? Thousands of movies must have been cut for TV at that time. And somehow the "cut version" of a movie as famous as Psycho became the only version for decades? It also became the version that was re-released in theaters? I'm not saying I don't believe you. I said it's difficult to believe.
I still maintain one of the reasons the far less lurid, bloody and violent elements of the peephole scene, Norman's hands in the clean up scene and the stabbing of Arboghast were left out as they had been edited out for the more family-friendly late 1960s TV version is because PSYCHO and the Bates Mansion and Motel from PSYCHO were then becoming high profile iconic images and selling points for what was by the early 1970s emerging as a hugely profitable...family-friendly...major amusement park attraction and ongoing synergistic promotional platform for their movies and the park known as the Universal Studio Tours.

Hitchcock, being the owner of a sizeable percentage of Universal stock, promoted that amusement park himself in promos, trailers and commercial ads. Which, imo, also explains why he did not demand that those more lurid, bloody and violent shots be restored and asap.

It would not then have been in Hitchcock's or any Universal executive's interest, financial or career, to march into a Universal board meeting and propose or demand that the shots where we almost see Marion Crane's nipples, more blood and for a longer time on Norman's hands and those 2-3 extra butcher knife plunges headed for Arboghast's dying body in one of their key movies featured as a major attraction in their family amusement park be restored.

Why rile up the "decency" brigade? Why rock the boat? For the sake of artistic integrity with all that amusement park expansion and additional locations on the planning board? Not at that time anyway. Not yet.

Especially since the tidy cuts had mostly gone unnoticed during that unique window between theatrical distribution of it and home video versions of it.

Videos of it were selling anyway. Oh, and with references and ads to encourage the buyer to take the whole family to the Universal Studios Tour and Park.

There was a similar situation going on at another family-friendly amusement park down the 5 Freeway in Orange County. A movie that served as the basis and theme for a ride and then an entire section of Disneyland was not merely edited to remove (to Disney stock holders) unnecessarily controversial shots. The entire movie, SONG OF THE SOUTH, was taken out of theatrical and possible home video circulation in order to avoid potential synergistic profit risks.

Last edited:

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman

The relevant paragraph:
------
------

I still maintain one of the reasons the far less lurid, bloody and violent elements of the peephole scene, Norman's hands in the clean up scene and the stabbing of Arboghast were left out as they had been edited out for the more family-friendly late 1960s TV version is because PSYCHO and the Bates Mansion and Motel from PSYCHO were then becoming high profile iconic images and selling points for what was by the early 1970s emerging as a hugely profitable...family-friendly...major amusement park attraction and ongoing synergistic promotional platform for their movies and the park known as the Universal Studio Tours.

Hitchcock, being the owner of a sizeable percentage of Universal stock, promoted that amusement park himself in promos, trailers and commercial ads. Which, imo, also explains why he did not demand that those more lurid, bloody and violent shots be restored and asap.

It would not then have been in Hitchcock's or any Universal executive's interest, financial or career, to march into a Universal board meeting and propose or demand that the shots where we almost see Marion Crane's nipples, more blood and for a longer time on Norman's hands and those 2-3 extra butcher knife plunges headed for Arboghat's dying body in one of their key movies featured as a major attraction in their family amusement park be restored.

Why rile up the "decency" brigade? Why rock the boat? For the sake of artistic integrity with all that amusement park expansion and additional locations on the planning board? Not at that time anyway. Not yet.

Especially since the tidy cuts had mostly gone unnoticed during that unique window between theatrical distribution of it and home video versions of it.

Videos of it were selling anyway. Oh, and with references and ads to encourage the buyer to take the whole family to the Universal Studios Tour and Park.

There was a similar situation going on at another family-friendly amusement park down the 5 Freeway in Orange County. A movie that served as the basis and theme for a ride and then an entire section of Disneyland was not merely edited to remove (to Disney stock holders) unnecessarily controversial shots. The entire movie, SONG OF THE SOUTH, was taken out of theatrical and possible home video circulation in order to avoid potential synergistic profit risks.
"...the tidy cuts had mostly gone unnoticed during that unique window between theatrical distribution of it and home video versions of it." - yes, no one ever talked about Psycho being edited. None of my teachers in film school or in books. Psycho was never TOUCH OF EVIL where the only version shown was an acknowledged compromised version. this is an odd head scratching one but your explanation makes sense. Hitchcock was not thinking that there would be a robust home video market where people could sit at home and do frame by frame comparisons.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Maybe you were living in Germany or France at the time. It was 1960 and nobody's memory is perfect. ;)
Anyone who saw this in 1960, as I did on its opening day, had it seared into memory. Period. Especially the multiple stabs of Martin Balsam. To regurgitate the endless point, the little trims were made years after the theatrical release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonStorm@HTF
Recent bookmarks