What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Anthony Mann’s Raw Deal is another in his brilliant series of films noir offering breathtaking cinematography and a clutch of first-rate performances featuring a triangle love story amid a cat-and-mouse dash for freedom.

Raw Deal (1948)

Released: 26 May 1948
Rated: APPROVED
Runtime: 79 min

Director: Anthony Mann
Genre: Crime, Drama, Film-Noir

Cast: Dennis O'Keefe, Claire Trevor, Marsha Hunt, John Ireland
Writer(s): Leopold Atlas, John C. Higgins, Arnold B. Armstrong (suggested by a story by), Audrey Ashley (suggested by a story by)

Plot: Joe Sullivan has taken the rap for Rick who double-crosses him with a flawed escape plan and other means intended to get rid of him.

IMDB rating: 7.4
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
I agree that the transfer is beautiful, but I did feel that the exterior day-for-night shots were "printed" too light. Of course, this is a widespread problem with transfers of films made when that was a standard technique, but I was a bit disappointed to see it here in what was otherwise such a meticulous transfer. Of course, day-for-night hardly ever looks truly realistic, and I accept that as one of the things you have to approach with a willing suspension of disbelief in classic films. However here we see cars with "hot" headlights on driving through scenery that is in undiminished broad daylight. I find it hard to believe that these weren't timed to be darker in period exhibition prints. Maybe ClassicFlix can chime in on this. Otherwise, I'm really happy with the release; the commentary is of a kind that's right up my alley and the two short featurettes pertinent and informative.

Last edited:

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
I watched this yesterday and enjoyed the heck out of it. Suppose I need to get a copy of T-Men now.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
Thanks for the great review Matt! Here's a trailer we cut for Raw Deal to give noir fans a flavor of what they can expect:

- David
I second that regards the Review which is excellent and the Bluray is outstanding in all departments and a joy to watch and also ClassicFlix THANKS for including eng. sub-titles .....I need them sadly...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree that the transfer is beautiful, but I did feel that the exterior day-for-night shots were "printed" too light. Of course, this is a widespread problem with transfers of films made when that was a standard technique, but I was a bit disappointed to see it here in what was otherwise such a meticulous transfer. Of course, day-for-night hardly ever looks truly realistic, and I accept that as one of the things you have to approach with a willing suspension of disbelief in classic films. However here we see cars with "hot" headlights on driving through scenery that is in undiminished broad daylight. I find it hard to believe that these weren't timed to be darker in period exhibition prints. Maybe ClassicFlix can chime in on this. Otherwise, I'm really happy with the release; the commentary is of a kind that's right up my alley and the two short featurettes pertinent and informative.
That issue didn't take me out of the film and I watched the disc twice today.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks