What's new
World Wide Stereo

Recommend Receiver for CD Player through Headphones (1 Viewer)

Jon Owens

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon Owens
I am looking for help selecting a receiver for listening to CDs through headphones. I have tried researching this online and, as usually happens, the more I learn the more confused I get (impedance, RMS, SPL per milliwatt vs. volt, Ohm's law, etc.).

I don’t use speakers. I have an Onkyo C7030 CD player and Sennheiser HD 598 headphones (impedance is 50Ω and SPL is 112 dB).

I was using a big old 2002 Denon 5.1 receiver until it went bad. I then dugout my old Kenwood KR-A5080 receiver from 1996 until I could get a new one. The problem is I mostly listen to film scores, which are typically mastered at a lower volume than, say, rock music. When I listen to certain CDs, the loud parts can be distorted as if it simply can’t handle the full depth of the sound.

I am assuming, perhaps wrongly, that my old Kenwood is the weak link. I doubt I spent much on it, but the specs are better than I expected:

100 WPC into 8Ω
Frequency: 20Hz to 20kHz
THD: 0.03%
S/N: 75dB (MM), 93dB (line)

I'm hoping someone can recommend a good but not outrageously priced model that will work well with my headphones, or at least suggest what specs I should look for in terms of compatibility. Or I should get a headphone amp?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Seems your Onkyo player actually has a headphone out. Do you not like its output to your headphones?

IF the player's headphone out isn't satisfying, I'd suggest looking for a dedicated headphone amp (maybe one that also includes a better DAC) instead. You might try checking head-fi.org for a good recommendation to match your headphones in that case.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks