What's new

Recommendations for The Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I've finally gotten around to wanting to pick up The Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness to compliment my "Book of the Dead" version of the original The Evil Dead DVD. But there are several versions of each floating around out there and I don't know which one to buy.
Since I value the opinions of the fine folk here on the HTF, I would like to know which DVDs currently being sold come closest to being "definitive" releases. Thanks.

Chris M

Second Unit
Evil Dead II is easy, the keep-case Anchor Bay version
Link Removed
Army of Darkness is a little more complex:
there used to be a Limited Edition 2 disc DVD out, but that sold out, so Anchor Bay released both discs seperately in
1) The Theatrical Version
2) the Directors cut (now called the bootleg cut)
Link Removed Link Removed
If you want the "definitive" Army of Darkness, you would get both of these versions. (the commentary on the Directors cut is hilarious).
DO NOT GET THE UNIVERSAL VERSION!
Hope this helps.
Chris.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Also...if you find the Anchor Bay LE Tin of Evil Dead II for cheap...it's worth the buy if you want a flashy piece. I got mine for 20 a few months back.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I agree with what Chris M said...you really should get both versions of Army of Darkness.

The theatrical cut looks and sounds a LOT better than the directors cut so if youre viewing the movie with casual fans of the movie, you'll at least have a version of the movie with an active 5.1 soundtrack and decent video quality. The theatrical cut also contains a neat little 30 minute behind the scenes documentary on the making of the movie. It also contains the theatrical trailer, which is significant, because Army of Darkness is only one of two movies to ever contain a Metallica song in it.

The Director's cut, as already mentioned, has a top notch hilarious commentary on it, which is worth the price of the disc alone. The film contains an extra 15 minutes of footage, and there are 4 additional unfinished deleted scenes selectable from the menu. The video quality wavers from average to poor in many of the new scenes, and the audio is only 2.0 and never gets any better than okay.

Highly recommended you get both.

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Hi,
I'm going to be getting either Evil Dead 2 or 3 for a friend. My questions are:

1) I can only get him one: should it be Evil Dead 2 or 3 (Army of Darkness)

2) If I get Evil Dead 2, the best would be the TIN but if I can't find that then the keep-case is the best one. Am I correct?

3) If I get Army of Darkness, isn't there a new version now called the "Boomstick" version that incorporates the 2 separate releases (theatrical and bootleg/director's cut)? Would that be the one to get then?

Thanks for all the help! I can't believe they have so many versions!
Andy

PS. If possible, can someone post the covers of the definite versions that I should be looking for?

PPS. The Evil Dead section of the HTF FAQ has been removed.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
My opinion:

1) Evil Dead II. I like Army of Darkness fine, just not as funny as EDII (IMO the best one so far).
2) Yes re the tin, otherwise the version of EDII shown in Chris M's post is fine. The tin is not hard to find, costs way more than the keepcase.
3) The Boomstick edition is more or less as you say, get that one unless for an ED collector, which I'm guessing he's not.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Andy:
1) I'd personally recommend "Evil Dead II" over "Army of Darkness". They're two very different movies, though. "Evil Dead II" is a horror/comedy, and "Army..." is more of an adventure movie.
2) The tin offers different packaging and a booklet that reprints a Fango article. If you find them both for approx. the same price, you might as well go with the tin, but there's nothing so compelling about the tin that warrants any substantial extra effort.
3) Yes, that's precisely what the Boomstick release is.
Cover art:
Evil Dead II
Army of Darkness: Boomstick Edition

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I picked up the MGM Region 3 Army of Darkness remastered director's cut for $25 shipped from yesasia.com. You'll need a Region free player (my cheapo Apex does the trick), but the picture is light years better than the Anchor Bay director's cut discs. My general suggestion these days is to pick up the Anchor Bay theatrical cust disc of AoD, and for the director's cut get the Region 3 version, which includes all the extras the Anchor Bay disc has, and is in full Dolby 5.1 .

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
and for the director's cut get the Region 3 version, which includes all the extras the Anchor Bay disc has
To pick nits, the R3 disc is actually missing the storyboard feature that the AB director's cut disc has (which runs as a subtitle track during the course of the film).

DJ

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Wow, does everyone that is telling this guy to buy both versions know that the Fistfull of Boomstick includes both versions for $17.99?

No need to buy 2 copies, it is all included.

Me, I have the LE and the R3 AOD DC and it is true what they say. The definitive version. I'm suprised no one asked Anchor Bay about it during the chat. After reading the transcripts, I think he was suprised also.

Doug

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Doug, I thought about it, but I figured it was a moot point, as AB has already stated there will no more releases of AoD, a point they reiterated at the end of the chat.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Notice that the first half of this thread happened in July, 2002, before the release of the Boomstick Edition.
...and that the guy wants it for his friend who's apparently not a collector and unlikely has an all-region player...easiest to follow this subthread if start reading at yesterday...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
The only reason you might ever want to get the Universal DVD of Army Of Darkness is that, unlike any of the Anchor Bay releases, it has player generated captioning. That's the reason I bought it at a used record shop for $8, so my girlfriend (who is deaf) could finally enjoy the whole trilogy.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Oops, my bad. Sorry about that.
Isn't there a term in the forum world for someone who revives year old posts?

I didn't even think to look at the thread start date.

Doug

Andy Kim

Second Unit
Great!
I'm going to try and get the Evil Dead 2 Tin.
I went to Best Buy and they didn't have either versions of ED2 but they had loads of AOD Boomstick version.
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MasonStorm@HTF
Recent bookmarks