What's new

Roger Ebert's Best Movies of the 1970's (where can I find the list?) (1 Viewer)

Carrol M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to track down the list of the best movies of the 1970's, that Ebert would have (probably) done at the end of that decade.
For instance, several websites list his best of the 1980's:
http://www.obkb.com/dcljr/sebestxt.html#80s
And if you go to other sites they have teh list for the 1990's. I need to find the 1970's, though.
Anyone know what films made up his list for the best of the 1970's?
Carrol M

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Check here. It has all of Siskel & Eberts top 10 lists from 1969-1998, and Ebert's '99 list.
Edit: I didn't exactly get what you were asking, obviously. But, that site does list his top 10 for each year.

Russ Lucas

Stunt Coordinator
It's fascinating that neither Siskel nor Ebert put One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest on their Top 10 list despite it sweeping the Academy Awards that year.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
A few years before Siskel died, There was a special episode of Siskel & Ebert in which they discussed the early '70s as the last golden age of Hollywood. They listed a number of movies to see. Carnal Knowledge was one of them, but I can't remember what else they listed.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
Russ Lucas wrote:
It's fascinating that neither Siskel nor Ebert put One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest on their Top 10 list despite it sweeping the Academy Awards that year.
What's even more surprising is that Saturday Night Fever wasn't Siskel's pick for best movie of 1977... yet it was his all-time favorite movie! Siskel had a rather strange obsession with this movie and even bought the white suit Travolta wore in it (which he later auctioned off for a nice sum of $$$).

paul_v

Second Unit
Just cause a movie is your favorite movie doesn't mean it's the best movie =) Gladiator is one of my favorite movies but I know it's not the best. Shindler's List is not my favorite movie but I know that it was one of the best. Lord of the Rings is an exception IMO...it's one of my favorites and it's one of the best =)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My favorite little "in retrospect...maybe not" moment is Ebert putting Purple Rain on his list of the best ten films of 1984. :)
Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tennispro786
Recent bookmarks