What's new
World Wide Stereo

Sanyo SS240 (1 Viewer)

Badies

Grip
Real Name
Michael
Okay, so I know these speakers aren't anything to brag about as everything I have ever heard/read indicates that Sanyo never made a good pair of speakers. The SS240 speakers I acquired (and original amp) are just seemingly cheap laminated cabinets 26"x14"x9". The amp has the model number JA240. Now these speakers leave something to be desired when it comes to bass, but the tweeters produce a surprisingly crisp sound. That being said, the speakers themselves are pretty warm and do sound best with 70's rock. Not that it means much, but these are also some of the loudest speakers I have heard (without any distortion), and the 75w (2ch total) amp performs much better than either of the two cheap class-D amps (having twice the wattage) that I have tried the speakers on. I'm not saying by any means these speakers are perfect, or even good by the standards of many of you on this forum, but I feel like they objectively pack a punch for what many consider to be bottom of the barrel. It might be fair to say they perform as well as some <$300 floor standing stereos of today. Has anyone ever heard/known about these particular speakers, or line of speakers?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Can’t find anything particular on these speakers, but I did find some pictures of other Sanyo SS speakers, model numbers varying from 150 to 900. The tweeter is merely a small paper-cone speaker (i.e. same type speaker as the mids or woofer, only smaller). Paper cone tweeters are pretty much bottom feeders as far as tweeters go.

It might be fair to say they perform as well as some <$300 floor standing stereos of today.
I’d say that’s fair. A $300 floor-standing speaker is pretty much bottom of the line. And if you’re talking $300 for the pair, definitely so.

However, the well regarded Pioneer Andrew Jones towers are only $130 each, and even have a soft-dome tweeter. They probably won’t play as loud as the Sanyos, but I’m confident they will sound better.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks