What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Scream Factory new titles (Dead Ringers, Rabid, Black Christmas, Willard, Ben, Poltergeist 2 + 3...) (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The controversy or debate is over who actually directed the movie. Rumor has it that Steven Spielberg- forgive the pun- ghost directed the movie for Tobe Hooper. Spielberg completely denies that. Personally, I think Spielberg helped out when needed or he made suggestions that Hooper definitely followed (Hooper would have been stupid to not listen to Spielberg since he had lots of experience with special effects and Hooper had none) but overall, Hooper has been robbed of credit by fans.

I think the deal was Spielberg had nothing to do with directing but he sort of micromanaged the project because he had badly wanted to direct it. Due to his schedule at the time he had to pick a film to give up directing and he chose to give up Poltergeist. Hooper was the one and only director on the film but was very much under Spielberg's thumb.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I was hoping Criterion would get the Cronenberg films since they did SCANNERS but I'll take what I can get. Thumbs held Scream do a good job.

Dreamscape is a fave of mine, I'll upgrade my DVD on that one.

Me too on the Cronenberg pictures. I have the US blu-ray of Dreamscape which has been out for some time. I wonder if this is a new scan of Dreamscape or if it will be the same transfer with some added bonus features.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Will definitely be getting Willard and Ben. I had them on VHS in the 80's and they have been hard to find ever since then. They seemed to have bypassed legit Laserdisc and DVD releases in the US due to rights issues.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Me too on the Cronenberg pictures. I have the US blu-ray of Dreamscape which has been out for some time. I wonder if this is a new scan of Dreamscape or if it will be the same transfer with some added bonus features.

Also wonder if the international cut of Dreamscape will be included.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since it's Halloween, Scream Factory announced more titles for 2017. https://www.facebook.com/ScreamFactoryDVD/

Okay by now you know we couldn’t let this day go by without some title announcements right?
1f609.png
;-) Here’s some treats to look forward to on Blu-ray in 2017:

- TALES FROM THE HOOD (1995) – The often-requested anthology film (Executive Producer by Spike Lee!) will finally make its Blu-ray format debut.

- DEADTIME STORIES (1986) – Another fun and highly-requested anthology movie that many remember from the 80s which features Scott Valentine, Melissa Leo and a title sequence song that you’ll never get out of your head!

- FIRESTARTER (1984) – Stephen King’s fiery psychic tale is planned for the Collector’s Edition treatment and will receive an all-new 2K film transfer!

- DEMENTED (1980) – Many remember this obscure exploitation revenge outing because it was originally on the early Home Media VHS label (once the home for Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street and other classics) and its cover art was in video stores everywhere. Stars Harry Reems (of Deep Throat fame)

- WHAT’S THE MATTER WITH HELEN? (1971) – Debbie Reynolds and Shelly Winters star in this offbeat and melodramatic thriller that has its fair share of fans. Also stars Dennis Weaver and Agnes Moorehead in supporting roles.

- THE SCREAMING SKULL (1958) – We head back into the 50s bring you this enjoyable spooky gem about newlyweds that scared plenty back in its day.

- PSYCHO (1998) – Gus Van Sant’s ambitious and highly-publicized (at the time) remake of Hitchcock’s classic makes its debut on the Blu-ray format.

- THE VAGRANT (1992) – Bill Paxton and Michael Ironside star in this interesting and unique comedic horror film executive-produced by Mel Brooks!

- THE ANGRY RED PLANET (1959) – A trip to mars turns into terror in this campy sci-fi thriller classic.

- VIRUS (1999) – Speaking of Sci-fi thrillers, we have another one to add…but this one stars legendary Scream Queen Jamie Lee Curtis! Also features William Baldwin and Donald Sutherland and has been long due for reevaluation.

There you have it! Please note that we have very little specific details about them at this time other than what we have provided above. As always, we’ll provide more information down the road when we can.

Again, Happy Halloween to everyone and enjoy the rest of the best holiday of the year!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
WOW! IT is great to see Deadtime Stories rescued from the realm of public domain. It isn't the best horror anthology movie, but it is one I have good memories of in the video store rental days when I was 15 or so.
Absolutely wonderful news.
And The Screaming Skull--That is just a dream come true for me.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Deadtime Stories, What's The Matter With Helen, The Screaming Skull, and The Angry Red Planet are my choices. Bring them on.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It will be great to have WILLARD even as a barebones release. But I recall thinking for years that it would have been possible to have Bruce Davison and Ernest Borgnine offer up memories, if not a full audio commentary. Ernie has left us, but Bruce is here.

Too bad Michael Jackson isn't around to comment on that creepy love song he sang about a rat.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
It's apparently official according to Blu-ray.com.

And a real rat of a movie [emoji327] comes off this list come May 16th.

Ben (1972) along with its prequel Willard (1971) will be released onto Blu-ray May 16th by Scream Factory according to the folks over on Blu-ray.com.

I'll be keeping a eye out for official confirmation from Scream Factory.

And since these were produced by Bing Crosby Productions, I now have renewed hope that Scream might license and release Arnold (1973), also produced by Bing Crosby Productions. View attachment 36270

Last edited:

FrancisP

Screenwriter
From Scream Factory's Facebook page.

***WILLARD & BEN Update***

We announced last July at Comic-Con that the 1971 rat-infested cult classic WILLARD and its 1972 sequel BEN would be coming to DVD & Blu-ray for the first time in 2017 with much rejoice. Since then we’ve been unusually “crickets” about it because it was taking us a little longer to lock down release dates for a variety of reasons …until now.

We’re happy to report that our official street dates for both are planned for May 16th! We thank you for bei...ng patient.

Extras, specs and more details will be announced at a later date. Pre-order both from our site directly and get them both shipped two weeks early.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Scream Factory announced Robocop 2 and Robocop 3 today and they'll be released on March 21.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't think either sequel is particularly good but they were huge parts of my childhood and I'm very excited to revisit them.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks for the heads up. I don't think either sequel is particularly good but they were huge parts of my childhood and I'm very excited to revisit them.
When a movie is part of your childhood, critical acclaim be damned, full speed ahead, and enjoy.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I didn't like 2 much when I first saw it all those years ago, but I like it more these days for its dark satire. Never saw 3 and have no desire to ever do so, even though I own the disc as part of the DVD trilogy set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks