What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Single season / narrow interest shows you want to see released but probably won't t se (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Let me add Make Room for Granddaddy to the list. I've never seen Life with Lucy but I'll go ahead and second the vote for it because I'd love to. I would also add, though we'll probably not see it since it's a Universal property, Sierra.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Don't know if anyone mentioned it already but how about Today's FBI with Mike Conners

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
1. Slattery's People
2. The Great Adventure (history series from CBS)
3. Nero Wolfe (William Conrad)
4. Delvecchio
5. McClain's Law

Snowball's chance for all of them.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Tory said:
Now that I really want, Charlotte Rae and John Hillerman. I want the Australian one too and Come Back Mrs Noah as well. Another British series that may be of some interest in Up Pompeii which satrs Frankie Howerd, it is continuation of A Funny Thing Happenedon the Way to the Forum.
Up Pompeii did get a complete series release, although in Region 2 as part of The Frankie Howerd Collection (which also includes the complete Then Churchill Said to Me and a Best of Frankie Howerd DVD). It's dirt cheap these days for about £12.00 on Amazon UK. The Up Pompeii portion of the set includes every BBC episode of the show (the only things not on there are the film and the LWT one-off Further Up Pompeii, although those have gotten DVD releases also, the latter as part of the On Please Yourselves: Frankie Howerd at ITV set).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The Charmings
Oh, Madeline!
Second Noah
Central Park West
Here We Go Again
Star of the Family
The Titans
The Powers of Matthew Starr
Cliffhangers
The Pruitts of Southampton
Good and Evil
Veritas: the Quest
Cop Rock
The Rousters

Pretty much any short-lived show that still had unaired episodes. Lots of those on my list had a few unaired.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
1997's Spy GamesFarmer's DaughterAnimated Alf and ALFtales (remaining episodes)Fantastic journeyfar Out Space nutsold Curiosity ShopSuper presidentmighty heroesDisney's animated AladdinJames

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
BLUE LIGHT, a great WWII spy adventure series from 1966, created by Larry Cohen, starring Robert Goulet and filmed in Germany. The scripts were taut, the production values excellent and the show was very well done in all respects. A feature theatrical film was cobbled from a few episodes and retitled I DEAL IN DANGER, released by Fox on an excellent DVD. The series ran for one half season, 17 episodes. Too bad it's Fox and will probably never see the light of day.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Most of the shows still on my "grail" list, probably 75-80% of it, are one-season (or less) series. Since I tend to like action/crime/spy/sci-fi/horror stuff more than, say, sitcoms, I don't necessarily consider most of these "narrow interest", but that's for others to judge:

T.H.E. CAT (1966-67)
TERRIERS (2010)
CORONET BLUE (1965, aired 1967)
SUSPICION (1957-58)
WAY OUT (1961)
BUS STOP (1961-62)
THE WESTERNER (1960)
THE IMMORTAL (1970-71)
THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1968)
SPACE GIANTS (1967)
WICHITA TOWN (1959-60)
THE DAKOTAS (1963)
KLONDIKE (1960-61)
ACAPULCO (1961)
BLUE LIGHT (1966)
THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966-67)
DECOY (1957-58) --an official, non-P.D. release
JOURNEY TO THE UNKNOWN (1968-69)
GREAT GHOST TALES (1961)
DARKROOM (1981-82) --might be out in R2 land, but I'd prefer a R1 release
LONGSTREET (1971-72)
CAPTAIN NICE (1966-67)
SPACE PATROL ORION (1965-German, a.k.a. RAUMPATROLUILLE ORION)
WORLD OF GIANTS (1959-60)
(GENERAL ELECTRIC) TRUE (1962-63)
Q.E.D. (1982, a.k.a. MASTERMIND)
DIANA (1973)
THE DAVE THOMAS COMEDY SHOW (1990)
THE ROGUES (1964-65)
WHEN HAVOC STRUCK (1978)

I'd probably also go for CLIFFHANGERS! and TIGHTROPE, if they were made available.

Claude North

Second Unit
Hank
The Tammy Grimes Show
The Second Hundred Years
He & She
The Pruitts of Southampton/The Phyllis Diller Show
The Beautiful Phyllis Diller Show
Diana
3 Girls 3
Oh Madeline
Life with Lucy

cherisland

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd
After seeing all these great postings and titles I would like to add these titles to my original list as well :
Diana (1973)
Life With Lucy (1986) ABC
Second Noah (1996-1997) ABC
Central Park West (1995-1996) CBS
Harper Valley (PTA) - 1981-1982 NBC
Good And Evil (1991) ABC
Highcliffe Manor (1979) NBC
Feather And Father Gang (1976) ABC
5 Mrs. Buchanans (1994-1995) CBS
Grand (1990) NBC
Titans (2000) NBC
Flamingo Road (1980-1982) NBC (actually ran 2 seasons)
Secrets Of Midland Heights (1980-1981) CBS
Kings Crossing (1982) ABC (a retooling of the above mentioned title - included many of the same performers in a different story format)
The Ropers (1979-1980) ABC
Golden Palace (1992-1993) CBS

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
AndyMcKinney said:
Up Pompeii did get a complete series release, although in Region 2 as part of The Frankie Howerd Collection (which also includes the complete Then Churchill Said to Me and a Best of Frankie Howerd DVD). It's dirt cheap these days for about £12.00 on Amazon UK. The Up Pompeii portion of the set includes every BBC episode of the show (the only things not on there are the film and the LWT one-off Further Up Pompeii, although those have gotten DVD releases also, the latter as part of the On Please Yourselves: Frankie Howerd at ITV set).
Yeah I have that already, I imported it years ago. I think more US people need to learn of this program though.

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
Cover Up with Jennifer O'Neill and Jon-Erik Hexum/Antony Hamilton (following Hexum's accidental death on set). Probably won't see the light of day due to all the music, even if all covers of '80s hits.

Photographers and special forces agents moonlighting as models to solve crimes. Gotta love the '80s.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Peter M Fitzgerald said:
Most of the shows still on my "grail" list, probably 75-80% of it, are one-season (or less) series. Since I tend to like action/crime/spy/sci-fi/horror stuff more than, say, sitcoms, I don't necessarily consider most of these "narrow interest", but that's for others to judge:

DARKROOM (1981-82) --might be out in R2 land, but I'd prefer a R1 release)
CAPTAIN NICE (1966-67)
Darkroom is Region 4, actually. Also, don't know if you were aware, but Captain Nice did get released in Italy and is still available, three individual volumes with 5 of the 15 episodes each.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Definitely Hot L Baltimore- my first exposure to the talents of James Cromwell, Conchata Ferrell, and Charlotte Rae!

Another obscure show- anyone remember the NBC summer variety show 3 Girls 3? That's one I'd like to see again. Besides myself, does anyone remember the 'girls' of the title (all of whom had success on other primetime shows of the 80s and 90s)? Name all three!

Super Cartoon Fan

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
I would figuratively kill someone for us to have the following T.V. shows to be released onto DVD and/or BLU-Ray season box sets and/or complete series box sets in North America (especially Canada):

1. Extreme Dinosaurs: this is an animated series that was released on T.V. in the fall of 1997, which was produced by DIC Enterprises but now is owned by Cookie Jar Entertainment (after the takeover of DIC Enterprises) -- none of the episodes have ever been released on DVD or BLU-Ray (or even VHS, for that matter, as far as I know here) in North America, and only a few episodes have been released on VHS in the U.K.; but the complete series has been released in Australia on DVD [but I'm not sure if this particular DVD release applies to New Zealand as well]!;

2. Dinosaucers: this is an animated series that was released on T.V. in the fall of 1987, which was produced by DIC Enterprises, Sony Entertainment and Coca-Cola but now is (apparently) owned by Cookie Jar Entertainment (after the takeover of DIC Enterprises -- none of the episodes of this series have ever been released on DVD or BLU-Ray (at least in North America); and only very few individual episodes have ever been released on VHS in North America, but that was way, way, way back in the late 1980's [but I'm not sure about DVD, BLU-Ray and/or VHS releases in the U.K. (and/or any other European country, for that matter), Australia and/or New Zealand!;

3. Kung Fu Dino Posse: this is an animated series that was released on T.V. in the fall of 2009 and ended its two-season run in early 2012 (in North America), which was produced by Cookie Jar Entertainment and some unknown European (probably French) media company -- only the first few episodes were ever released on DVD but only in the U.S.A. and not in Canada (which is what I believe is to be the case, as I haven't seen it ANYWHERE in Canadian brick-and-motar retail stores nor online retail stores) [but I'm not sure about any DVD, BLU-Ray and/or VHS releases in Europe, Australia and/or New Zealand, even though the T.V. series was partly produced by a European media company]!; and

4. Blazing Dragons: this is an animated series that was released on T.V. in the fall of 1996 and ended its two-season run in late 1997 or early 1998 [in Canada (I don't know about on whether this was released on T.V. in the U.S.A. or not released there) and the U.K.], which was produced by Nelvana Enterprises [which is a subsidiary of Corus Entertainment (which also owns many T.V. channels and networks, and radio stations in Canada!)] and some unknown U.K. media company -- none of the episodes have ever been released on DVD or BLU-Ray (at least in North America), and only a few individual episodes have ever been released on VHS in North America [but I'm not sure about any DVD, BLU-Ray and/or VHS releases in the U.K. (and/or any other European country, for that matter), Australia and/or New Zealand, even though the T.V. series was partly produced by a European media company]!!!!!!

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I think "Life with Lucy" has to get a release, not for the show itself (which is pretty dire, saying this as a Lucy fan myself) but more for the deals that went on to get the show into production and how they tried to retool it once the ratings plunged after the second show.

Many of the people involved are gone and probably the only people who could do it properly would be Lucie Arnaz and the Desilu Too group -- she made an excellent documentary based on the family home movies and assisted on the special features for both "The Lucy Show", "Here's Lucy" and the Lucy tv specials sets.

Sadly it is such a painful story, nobody has ever tried it, but it would be wise to have an official version of everything in accurate detail, as you can bet there are fans out there who could write a Ph.D paper on production details behind that show.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Peter M Fitzgerald said:

T.H.E. CAT (1966-67)
TERRIERS (2010)
CORONET BLUE (1965, aired 1967)
SUSPICION (1957-58)
WAY OUT (1961)
BUS STOP (1961-62)
THE WESTERNER (1960)
THE IMMORTAL (1970-71)
THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1968)
SPACE GIANTS (1967)
WICHITA TOWN (1959-60)
THE DAKOTAS (1963)
KLONDIKE (1960-61)
ACAPULCO (1961)
BLUE LIGHT (1966)
THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966-67)
DECOY (1957-58) --an official, non-P.D. release
JOURNEY TO THE UNKNOWN (1968-69)
GREAT GHOST TALES (1961)
DARKROOM (1981-82) --might be out in R2 land, but I'd prefer a R1 release
LONGSTREET (1971-72)
CAPTAIN NICE (1966-67)
SPACE PATROL ORION (1965-German, a.k.a. RAUMPATROLUILLE ORION)
WORLD OF GIANTS (1959-60)
(GENERAL ELECTRIC) TRUE (1962-63)
Q.E.D. (1982, a.k.a. MASTERMIND)
DIANA (1973)
THE DAVE THOMAS COMEDY SHOW (1990)
THE ROGUES (1964-65)
WHEN HAVOC STRUCK (1978)

I'd probably also go for CLIFFHANGERS! and TIGHTROPE, if they were made available.
Great titles all, there are rumors that WB archives might release The Dakotas, keep your fingers crossed.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
It may be a stretch to say that "Saturday Night Live" is a narrow interest show, but I would love to see further season sets. I've already bought this up in several threads on here, but there is still an audience for "Saturday Night Live" on DVD. I would gladly buy official prints of all the 80s episodes, especially from seasons 6-10, which as I've noted before, were the first episodes I was exposed to in reruns. None of the edited versions on Hulu or Yahoo for me...Uncut 80s episodes will be an instant preorder. You could bundle seasons 6-11 together in a limited edition, and if it sells enough, you could do another box set of seasons 12-19 (when Phil Hartman and Chris Farley left the show), and then a season 20 through 27 box set (spanning the Will Ferrell years), and so on. Odd collection numbers, to be sure, but there is an audience out there for uncut seasons of "Saturday Night Live". On the other hand, you could do a straight shot of seasons 6-15 (spanning all of the 80s and the first part of the 90s), 16 through 25 (the bulk of the 90s and the first episodes of the new millennium), 26 through 35 (the new millennium and into the new 10s), and season 36 on through 45, if the show goes on that long. Many people mix up eras of "Saturday Night Live", thinking that Eddie Murphy and Joe Piscopo were on at the same time as Billy Crystal and Martin Short, and so on. Decade box sets might still confuse the issue, but at least season releases would resume. Music rights are a nightmare, but I know deep in my heart of hearts that those who watch SNL seasons after season 5 online want uncut releases with original music.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

SNL without the music is like a bed without a sheet...It's just incomplete.

JMFabianoRPL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Fabiano
Not one season, but what about shows like Big Blue Marble, Vegetable Soup, and others?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brian13mt
Recent bookmarks