What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Sirius in 2003 Caravan...have questions. (1 Viewer)

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
I've recently bought a 2003 Grand Caravan ES. This model comes with the "RBU" head unit, which contains the following:

Built in single CD
AM/FM Radio (obviously)
Built in cassette
Built in DVD (yay!)
Remote control, and dual headphones for rear passengers
and lastly, this unit is Sirius "ready"

My question is this:

What else is required to make this radio pull in Sirius radio? I've done some research, and I think I know what's needed. I am going to have to order in the parts, and until I know for sure what I need, I'm hesitating. This hesitation stems from the fact that I'm in Canada, and the required parts must be brought in from the US of A.

My thoughts:

If the head unit is Sirius ready, then I should need a Sirius tuner, and antenna, and some sort of install kit for the works. I've checked Chrysler's website and have come up with the 2 parts.

82206488AA Sirius Satellite Radio Receiver and Antenna Kit: includes receiver, permanent mount antenna, owner's manual, and activation information. Vehicle specific installation kit is required. For use with Mopar and production radios only.

82207779 Sirius Satellite Radio Installation Kit: for vehicles w/DVD or CD Changers, includes I-sheet, templates, wiring harnesses, antenna cable, multiplex connector, mounting bracket, and hardware

Has anyone attempted a similar install in an OEM equipped vehicle? Any other ideas that I may not have thought have?

I appreciate any and all replies!

Thanks! :D

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Josh J

Auditioning
Sounds like you got the right parts but I would call Sirius before you go through all the trouble to make sure you can receive the broadcast in Canada. I think all they ever advertise is its broadcast to the lower 48 states and 2 miles off the coast. I'm sure it'll still work but I would still check.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
It should work in Canada. I know people in Alaska that can get Sirius, so Canada probably wouldn't be a problem.

XM probably would be more problematic, since their satelites are around the equator...

Jason

BobV

Second Unit
You won't have any problem with receiving Sirius in Canada. We've sold Sirius as far north as Destruction Bay, Yukon, as far east as St.Johns, NFLD and as far west as Long Beach, BC... and they're still workin' fine :) . You won't have any problem, no doubt in my mind.

Diallo B

Screenwriter
I agree with Bob.

I live in Michigan and drive to Toronto a few times a year and I have never had trouble getting reception with Sirius during the trip or while I am in Toronto.

djb

BobV

Second Unit
Remember though Toronto (about 44º lat) isn't even as far north as Seattle (about 47º lat). So Sirius and XM should both work in Toronto absolutely :) . Just for comparisons sake, Destruction Bay, Yukon (where I can confirm Sirius working) is at about 62º north latitude, or more than 1200 miles further north (in the far west) than Toronto :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks