What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

So why Did Studio's just not Market MOD in 2007 (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Would that Not have made more sense ? I mean once Netflix started streaming, the Genie was out of the bottle.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Not sure that would have solved anything. Warner was the only to successfully implement it, and even they seem to be abandoning it now, at least for TV shows. Also, it tended to increase pricing of releases, which might have made things worse for most consumers if that was the only option available.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Universal and Disney tried "playing" with it (and Columbia's brief half-hearted attempt was absorbed into Warner's Archive), but they focused themselves on Warner's model and thought the world would beat a path to its door.
Like Warner, their MOD division started out as a curiosity throwaway for "unsellable" titles and barely got any promotion--you had to search Amazon to know Universal even had one--and when those didn't sell either, they had other fish to fry.
At least Disney got back on the horse with their Disney Movie Club Exclusives.

I'm not sure what Netflix streaming has to do with it, though, since that wasn't until '10, and every other service that played with streaming thought we'd be watching on laptops and tablets.

topanga

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felicia
I always felt that since Amazon was in the business of manufacturing MOD's for Warner Archive and even Sony, that maybe they should get into selling MOD's of movies and TV shows that they already have available on their Amazon Prime platform. There are many of us who like to have actual DVD's instead of digital content clogging up our computers.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Not sure that would have solved anything. Warner was the only to successfully implement it, and even they seem to be abandoning it now, at least for TV shows

They have been committed to getting as many Hanna-Barbera shows out as they can these days.

Frankly, Sony dropped the ball on all things DVD as soon as Blu-ray, the format they actually created, was on the horizon. They could do bad work on their in-store releases as well; they had a large number of pan-and-scan titles of Panavision/2.35:1 films. Their MOD program not working out for them was par for the course. Benson S2 had the wrong episodes and had to be re-pressed, very few other TV series got releases at all, and I bought multiple copies of The Boy in the Plastic Bubble hoping to finally get a non-PD version for a change and none played on any player I own. Based on that, I was not too enthusiastic about giving them more money to end up with floaters.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks