What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Pre-Order Sony Pictures Classics 30th Anniversary 4K Ultra HD Collection (4K UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Browsing their catalogue, I can’t say there’s much I personally would need to have on physical media, save for the Woody Allens, but I’m sure contemporary independent arthouse cinema fans will be very grateful.

My speculation on films that may be included as a celebration of the company’s 30th anniversary would be Whiplash (almost certain to be included), Welcome to the Dollhouse, The Garden of the Finzi-Continis, Volver, and Midnight in Paris. Normally I would say it’s a lock they’d include Call Me By Your Name, but given the Armie Hammer situation, that would be a real surprise.

Here’s the full SPC library for anyone that cares to peruse it:

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
[Disregard. Looks like what I saw was a wish list, not an official announcement.]

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's the anniversary of the founding of Sony Pictures Classics, the arthouse division of Sony Pictures. These will be films released under that boutique label, not necessary "classic films" of Sony studios proper.
Got it!

Ryan Barrett

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Barrett
Per Dawn of the Discs the titles being guessed at are....
  • Welcome to the Dollhouse
  • Safe
  • Run Lola Run
  • Orlando
  • Amour
  • Searching for Sugar Man
  • Pollock
  • Dogtown and Z boys
  • Call Me by Your Name

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Possible.
WHIPLASH
Been There
1662495788448.png
Done That ...still possible

Walter P. Thatcher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel
Is it possible that Sony Pictures Classics would simply release the titles on the digital purchase page as 4K UHD discs?
It could be argued that these titles represent the breadth of the types of films SPC has brought to filmdom. I would also think that out of their entire catalog these were picked because of audience demand (= profitable).
Just tossing pencils up at the ceiling tiles.

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Woody's films are being released by some company called Sandpiper Pictures
I of course meant the ones owned by Sony (2008-2015), not MGM. I already own the three UK Arrow boxes for the ones Sandpiper are releasing so I don't need those and also have all of the blurays for the Sony Pictures Classics films. It'd be nice to have his Sony films in 4K. I've got all US+EU Woody Blurays expect for Anything Else because that one is not in OAR.

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Per Dawn of the Discs the titles being guessed at are....
  • Welcome to the Dollhouse
  • Safe
  • Run Lola Run
  • Orlando
  • Amour
  • Searching for Sugar Man
  • Pollock
  • Dogtown and Z boys
  • Call Me by Your Name
Of all these, I just want Call me by your name, so I hope they release them seperately.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
I never buy sets like this (films only related by studio) but boy would I love SAFE and ORLANDO in 4K. Hopefully if they are in the set, they'll eventually get broken out.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Here is the box office history of Sony Pictures Classics films.

While of course box office success is not the only metric by which films should be judged for disc release, especially in the arthouse space, I do think it is likely that they will select some of their biggest hits for this set. Their Academy Award-winning and nominated films are also a strong possibility. They obviously want it to include movies that people are familiar with and will want to buy.

That being said, I do think it is odd to put a set like this up for pre-order before announcing what titles will be in it.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
JFTR, Sony doesn't own the movie they launched the Sony Pictures Classics banner with anymore.

Also I find it hard to believe that they would do a box set like this and NOT include Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks